1. CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]

Top Speeds

------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro
Drag racer]

2. PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 188.9 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.3s @ 143.9
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.4s @ 146.3
________________________________________________________________________________

3. SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.93 sec @ 143.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec @ 143.8 mph
__________________________________________________________________________________

4. MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 183 mph
[Elevation 2400 feet above sea level]

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ ~ 140.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 9.96 sec @ 142.3 mph
____________________________________________________________________________________

5. BIKENET Online http://www.bikenet-racing.com/

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 196 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 194 mph

Quarter Mile - NA
______________________________________________________________________________________

6. BIKE MAGAZINE - UK [May 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 180 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.31 sec
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec

_______________________________________________________________________________________

AMCN - AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE NEWS

Top speed.
Hayabusa = 302 kph
Zx-12R = 297 kph

400m (1/4 mile).
Hayabusa = 10.5 sec.
Zx12R = 10.7 sec.

400m top speed.
Hayabusa = 228.2km/h.
Zx12R = 223km/h.

0-100km/h.
Hayabusa = 3.17 sec
Zx12R = 3.49 sec

0-160km/h (0-100mph).
Hayabusa = 5.7 sec.
Zx12 = 6.02 sec.

20-180kmh.
Hayabusa = 6.17 seconds
Zx12 = 6.43 seconds

__________________________________________________________________________________________

BIKE MAGAZINE - Sweden [Not Bike mag from the UK]

Top speed
-----------------------------------------------
Hayabusa = 297.8 km/hr
ZX-12R = 293.7 km/hr

Quarter Mile
-----------------------------------------------
Busa - 10.32@222.6 km/hr
ZX-12 - 10.50@225.5 km/hr
CBR - 11.0@210 km/hr

I side with Johnny on that one.
Busa in stock form may be marginally hotter, but other factors, especially the rider, are so much more significant, it's a wash.

Most important factor, of course, is which bike the rider PREFERS. Johnnycheese prefers the copper Busa. Same here. The rivalry is fun, but in the real world it doesn't mean much.

I don't disagree with you at all, Mr. Bear. But as I read the original post, the variable being discussed was the bike, not the rider. I've no doubt that 50% of the riders that post on this board (you and Johnnycheese included) could blow me and my copper 'Busa into the weeds whilst riding a Honda Nighthawk. That doesn't mean that the Nighthawk is a better bike than the 'Busa. I'm just saying that based on the numbers that keep being published by various independent sources, the same rider will get better straight-line performance on a 'Busa than any other stock bike out there.

-k

NO all this compairition shows is it matters who rides the bike and who is use to it
I have seen both ZX12r and Busas go MUCH faster than any of those printed(STOCK FORM)
So you much watch out.
And never believe what you read.

True, true. What I see is that the Busa and the ZX-12 are close in power output, and are within 10 lbs. of each other, wet and fully fueled. I keep wondering, wouldn't an R1, a 929RR, or a GSXR-750, which are around 120 lbs. lighter than either the Busa or the 12, put a lot more separation between themselves and the two big bikes?

If someone wants a reason why the ZX-12 is a disappointment, comparing it to the ZX-9R seems like a better argument than comparing it to the Busa. ZX-12 VS. ZX-9; $2,000 cheaper, 75 lbs. lighter, only 10 mph slower, only .3 seconds slower in a quarter-mile? I vote ZX-9R. I think Kawasaki's own bike beats the ZX-12R, in bang for the buck. Never mind the Busa.

I WONDER WHAT RICKY GADSON WOULD GO IN THE 1/4 MILE ON A HAYABUSA??? I'LL BET IT'S FASTER THAN THE 10.06 HE WENT ON THE 12R

Sorry, Johnnycheese, but the above proves a lot! In 19 measurements, the 'Busa wins 18 times, the '12R wins 1. Given that these were fairly independent tests, done in several different locations by different riders, anyone who knows any statistics would say the conclusion is quite obvious -- the 'Busa is definitely faster.

I wonder about that, Horse. The literbikes are so close to the Busa and ZX-12 in all-out performance now, I wonder if they are really going to restrict all of them. Restrict the whole gamut of track-ready road bikes? I mean, an R6 can approach 160 mph, that's going all the way down to the 600's.

The political heat seems to be on now, but it may die down in a few years. Everyone kind of got used to the performance of the ZX-11. The Busa and the ZX-12 seemed to have stirred up the pot again.

But I have faith that I'll be able to get a GSXR-1000 next year, that will do a 10.0 quarter and top out at 180+. I just can't bring myself to believe the fun is over. There's too much money in it. Politicians can be bought off, and they will be, hopefully anyway.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 04 July 2000).]

Regarding Horse's comments 'Long Live the VMAXes'

I recently bought 2000 black & grey Busa, this is the 3rd bike in my garage along with a pair of Vmax's. I ride one of them and my wife rides the other, honestly.... Back in 85 the Max was regarded much like the Busa is today, we all know alot has changes since then. Believe it or not I have managed to make my naturally aspirated Vmax out acclerate my Busa. How does 185rwhp and 115lbs of torque sound ? Not enough you say ... then add a 50hp shot of NOS to bring it up to 220rwhp and 120lbs of torque. Check it out on my webpage,

http://www.only.at/andreswebpage

unfair advantage!! There is NO way a stock v-max will ever touch a 'busa. Yes if you tweak the hell out of it, it could do it in a straight line, but let the stakes be even... give the Big Bird the same and see what happens! Even if the max was modded...on a curved road the 'busa would eat the max right up!!! I know someone who has one, and believe me it's no match at all for the mighty bird..... V-max was a heavy hitter in it's time, but that was a long time ago.....'nuff said

unless you changed that shaft drive or internal transmission ratio it doesnt much matter how much HP. you have i beleive vmax's top out at 156mph

BEAR,
One thing about this Internet......lets Men be Boys Again.....heck whens the Last time
you called people Mythical & Fantasy names.... 3rd or 4th Grade.... Iam amazed.

Agree the Hayabusa is cool for now.....as the Z-1 once was....

"Good Time are Now"
Horse :)

In the History Books of Bikes, it will remain CLEAR, that the Hayabusa was the last KING of SPEED....after which, as the Emmission (EPA) lords did to Two-strokes, the Last Pure Bred of the Market Speed Machine........Long Live the VMAXes.

Amen,
Horse

You guys are correct... I said my Max will out accelerate my Busa, top end the Busa will eat up my Max. And no my Max is NOT stock and it's no longer a drive shaft. As a matter of fact the entire back end is from a GSX1100R and the entire front end is ZX7R. Have a look for yourselves. The thing I like about the Max is that it's a real attention getter. When I go places with me riding the Max and my wife on the Busa people always come to talk to me and check out my bike. I am talking everybody, from Harldy Parkinson dudes to sport bike riders. No one even looks twice at the Busa. It's a shame cause I think the Busa is the best production bike on the road, that's why I bought it !

--->Here's my 'not stock' Max
1985 Vmax painted black (serial #500)
PCW chain drive conversion kit
1500 cc
14:1 PCW piston kit
Carillo long rods
Polished and magnafluxed crank
stage 3 ported heads with stainless valves
41mm Keihin flatsides with tuned velocity stacks
PCW experimental cam set
PCW hand made aluminum intakes (matched to 41mm carbs)
Ceramic coated Kerker header with carbon fiber canister
Undercut and race prepped tranny
Heavy duty clutch kit (extra spring)
ZX7 inverted forks , front wheel(powder coated black)/Avon tire , brakes , fender
Custom made extra tall aluminum tripple trees (for added ground clearance) powder coated black
GSXR 1100 swingarm powder coated black , back wheel (powder coated black)/190 Avon tire
Stock rear shocks (for now)
Drag bars
Corbin saddle
All lines are braided
50 HP NOS kit (under fake tank) , starter switch activated
Air shifter with compressor , horn switch activated
185RWHP on pump gas without NOS
220RWHP on pump gas with NOS

Johnnycheese, ask Randy about his ZX-12 experience. He went faster on a ZX-12 (e/t & mph, same 60') at the same track on the same day than on his Busa. Of course, my Busa is faster than his. . .8-)

Hey, VMAX1500, no frame braces or gussets like used on the German Kainzinger VMAX or like available from several Japanese suppliers (think Over and Moriwaki have em)?
Seems like you could use them for better handling to more match performance.

Back