GSX1300R vs ZX12R

sherm

Registered
This is a direct quote from the MCN ZX1200 test. Its the part that makes a comparison with the Busa. It may be full of exageration, hype and boloney but its probably pretty close to what the other mags will say. There is no way to stop it. The ZX12R is not the piece of crap we wanted it to be.

" The firm has seen the sales benefit of the maximum speed title once before, when its 174mph ZZ-R1100
was fastest from 1990 until 1996, before it was
overthrown by Honda's 178mph Super Blackbird.

But things have moved on since then, and to become
the king of speed again the ZX-12R must topple
today's title holder, Suzuki's 194mph Hayabusa. And
first impressions after riding both bikes side-by-side
are that it's in with a shout.

If the 200mph-plus speedo readings we managed on the ZX-12R are
anything to go by, the big Kawasaki's extra 6bhp and carefully
designed aerodynamics could be enough to swing the balance of fame
from the Busa.

We won't be able to give you a definitive answer until we speed test a
ZX-12R soon under normal atmospheric conditions on a vehicle-free
testing ground back in Britain. But after the brief back-to-back
comparison in South Africa we can tell you it's the better sports bike.

Handling is the biggest advantage the ZX-12R has over the
GSX1300R. It's 5kg (11lb) lighter than the Suzuki at 210kg (462lb), the
wheelbase is 4.5cm shorter and the head angle and trail for the
Kawasaki are a sharper 23.5° and 9.3cm compared to the Hayabusa's
24.2° and 9.7cm.

Out on the road those figures have an effect on the agility of the
Kawasaki and help it turn more sharply, with far less effort than the
Hayabusa.

The Suzuki does handle well for a bike of its size and weight, but
scratching on the ZX-12R is noticeably easier. We didn't ride much on
very tight and twisty roads - there aren't many of those around
Johannesburg - but the Kawasaki will definitely have a cornering
advantage on those type of roads back home.

The Suzuki's suspension is set up slightly firmer than the ZX-12R's and
it suits fast riding. But the Kawasaki's 43mm Kayaba forks and shock
handle the bumps better. And when the roads get smoother the
ZX-12R's suspension can be firmed up to match the Suzuki.

The Kawasaki can also go in a bit harder and the ground clearance is
better. Only the hero blobs scratch the road at acute angles, whereas
the Hayabusa grinds its exhaust cans and, in extreme cases, the
engine covers.

Both bikes' power is produced quite differently, and the Kawasaki
needs to be revved a little bit more to accelerate as hard as the bigger
GSX.

But in some high-speed, high-rpm acceleration tests from 50mph to
150mph, the ZX-12R had the edge. And if this speed superiority can
be maintained then the Kawasaki could well be the faster.

At more sensible speeds, the torquier Suzuki needs slightly fewer
gearchanges to overtake traffic because of its broader spread of
power. But the difference is tiny, and really academic, because both
machines have enough grunt to rush past any obstacle with just a whiff
of throttle.

Wind protection, vital at high cruising speeds, is better on the
Kawasaki because of its taller and wider screen. But of course, the
ZX-12R's biggest advantage over the Hayabusa is its styling - it has
some!

Many riders are captivated by the mind-blowing performance of the
Suzuki, but they're simply not willing to put up with what many consider
to be one of the ugliest bikes ever - even if it is the fastest.

The curvy lines and bulbous snout have been compared to a cow - not
the sexiest animal. Those riders will now have a chance to sample
huge thrills that go along with it without making any sacrifices to style.

Expect the ZX-12R to out-sell the Suzuki when it hits UK showrooms
later this month. "

[This message has been edited by sherm (edited 11 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by sherm (edited 11 March 2000).]

thats just the test in africa. The zx12r cant go over 190
This is old news. Let me go get some more recent.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 11 March 2000).]

posted 10 March 2000 09:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far it's been measured at between 183mph and 187mph in the U.S, France and Holland. These relatively low figures have got Kawasaki UK rattled. It sent out its own man to do tests today. First report (independantly verified) is 190.8mph. Guess that means it ain't restricted to 187mph!
I'll let you know if they go any quicker this afternoon. Kawasaki UK has always been confident it WOULD beat the Hayabusa for top speed.
N.B. MCN tests put the Hayabusa at 194mph

:( I guess I have to sell my week old Busa. Not! :) The press sure does love to talk about the latest thing don't they? I've seen the press, and TV ads. I still like the looks, comfort, handling and character of the Busa. It'll be interesting to see speed comparisons, but unless it kills the Busa, who cares?

Top speed is not the main point of this comparison. They just about said that the ZX12 is a better bike than the busa in every way. It may not be but its the new kid on the block and the mags are always looking fo something new to scream about.

Who is the source for all these ZX12 top speed test numbers? Is it the same source that told us about the high speed wobble, the seriously flawed frame, and the late late (if ever) delivery?

I don't care to much about all the hype. All I know is I was very glad to get rid of my last Kaw and dont think I am interested in getting anouther no matter what they say. I am not mechanically inclined enough to do all of my own work and would hate to have anouther bike in the shop for 30 days every other month becuse they cant figure out how to work on it or what is wrong. The few problems I have had with my Busa after 6200 miles have been quickly fixed with no problems by my dealer.

Thank but no thanks to kawasaki.

200mph speedo reading?That means the actual speed is somewhere are at 180+.My prediction all along for the 12 at Top speed is 188(see LA Busa)We all know that Speedo readings arent acurate.The Busa's speedo show 210+

No sherm these figures come from DC go look at his profile...............and while your at it visit his homepage

All we have is personal conjecture about a riding impression in south africa. Hold up on further speculation till we start getting the hard data. From the sounds of it that should be this week. Canadian buyers have already taken delivery. This is a very different bike than the 1300, its 2 inches shorter and way taller. The emphasis is not only top speed as is the 1300, they've tried to get R1 handling and styling along with speed. Now lets sit back and see if they suceeded..........

does any one really give a sh*t i dont. i have had 6500miles of pure pleasure from my hayabusa mainly two up. .ps on the fast bikes video the busa did 215 mph in france
and does that rear seat look very comfy ? i dont think so!

[This message has been edited by jafeica7 (edited 11 March 2000).]

Thanks for making me laugh my a$$ off Martin! I've had a long but productive day. I needed that.

The niner can not compete with the 929 or R1 either.

True sport bikes would never have that wheel base or weight. IT has the power though. We agree to disagree.

Once I get the R1 maybe I will post a $$$ challenge to any 12R owner just to prove the point.

I wouldn't mind too much if the 12 is faster than my Busa. I bought the fastest machine out there 17 years ago. A year later it wasn't the fastest anymore. Maybe I should have been bummed out about that, but the same thing has been repeated over and over every couple years since then (Okay, the ZX-11 held the top spot for awhile longer). My point is, I just got a bike that is 50 mph faster than my old "fastest" bike.

I say come on, ZX-12, pour it on! I would be fine with it being faster than the Busa, and would hope for something faster than the ZX-12 in a couple years, too. I figure when the fastest production bike tops 240, I'm going to have to upgrade again!

Sherm: JohnC 918rider, jafeica7, Mr Bear, FalconCOP161, Busadan, and Bob have all hit close to the mark. The Hayabusa has made a unique contribution to the history of motorcycling from the standpoint of both performance and styling. It has had a unique impact on the greater social conciousness surrounding sport bikes. I've only had my Blue and Silver '00 for about a week, but I've gotten comments (all positive) from people who never even gave my other new bikes a second look (XS11, VMAX, GSX1100.) People I don't even know are coming up to me to ask "Is that the bike that does 200mph!" No other bike that comes along can change the history surrounding the Hayabusa. What lasting impact can the ZX12R hope to make (how many of you can tell me, without looking it up, who was the second man to walk on the moon.) BTW I don't give a rat's a** if the Kaw turns 8s in the 1/4 and tops 210, it's still just another fast Ninja and it's still just a Kaw.

The Busa'a styling is a simple case of form following function with the large front fender designed to channel the air around it. The Kaw's "alien eyed face" is not for me as far as looks, and as some of you have already mentioned I receive comments almost every time I ride my Hayabusa that universally praise it's good looks. I still believe, until proved different, that it is the better high speed tourer of the two and that is what I am after. I would buy a 125cc dirt bike if stoppies were my main interest!

The Hayabusa is a Sport Tourer,no matter how you look at it,it even has the Katana designation GSX not GSXR(which saved my *** from the insurance man),the ZX12R is more of a Sportbike,thats why they still make the ZX11,notice the "R" missing from ZX11!

Back