twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Tulsa Motorcyclist Killed In Collision With Pickup

Posted: May 30, 2010 7:39 AM CDT
Updated: May 30, 2010 8:47 AM CDT
NewsOn6.com

OSAGE COUNTY -- A Tulsa motorcyclist was killed when a 73-year-old driver failed to yield at a stop sign on State Highway 20 at County Road 2535 about 10 miles west of Skiatook in Osage County.

Two other people were in critical condition after the crash.

An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper reports that 45-year-old Frances Carter of Tulsa was pronounced dead at St. John Hospital in Tulsa of head and internal injuries just before 6:30 p.m. Saturday. His passenger, 34-year-old Carla Cagle, was taken to St. Francis Hospital where she was admitted in critical condition with head, trunk, arm and leg injuries.

Bartlesville resident Charles Stillian, 73, was driving southbound on County Road 2535 at 5:01 p.m. when he failed to yield from a stop sign, entering the intersection at State Highway 20. He struck Carter's 2005 Harley Davidson which was traveling eastbound on the highway.

Stillian, who was not injured in the wreck, had three passengers in his Chevrolet pickup. One passenger, 48-year-old Suzanne Stillian of Bartlesville, was admitted to St. John Hospital in Tulsa in critical condition with head and internal injuries. The other two were not hurt.

The trooper's report states that all the people in Stillian's car were using seat belts but that airbags did not deploy. The driver and passenger on the motorcycle were not wearing helmets.

The report list's Charles Stillian's condition as apparently normal and the cause of the collision as failure to yield from a stop sign.

Also last week, a co-worker of my was rear ended by an 80 year old man. He was stopped at 41st and Mingo waiting on someone in front of him to complete a left turn. While he was stopped, the 80 year old man ran into the back of him. He told my friend and the police that he pushed the pedal all the way to floor, but it was the gas, not the brake. This would have been a fatality had my friend been on a bike.

Sorry to read about this James. 360 degree field of vision is standard fare for all riders. let alone gear. :rulez:

I know were all going to get old, But this is the third incident in 2 days I have heard of with older people.

How old is to old to be driving safely.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet and dead from head and internal injuries!

I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy. :dunno:

When will that rearview helmet come out?? Too many people are multitasking while on prescription drugs.

I know were all going to get old, But this is the third incident in 2 days I have heard of with older people.

How old is to old to be driving safely.
Good question! I think it depends more on physical and mental condition rather than putting a number to your age. I'll be 66 in a few days and feel like I'm 30 as far as alertness and quick reation timing go. My dear old grand dad turned in his keys when he was 96. Until that point, no incidents of any kind.

We just had two fatalities in two days here in Vegas. Both were left turns in front of the bike, one was an 83 yr old driver who violated bike's ROW. Agree geezer related deaths seem to be on the rise, but also agree calendar age has less to do with it these days. Some folks are mentally done by age 70 while others are alert and active till they drop. I think the key is figuring out when it's time to put the car keys down. If you're fit and active, and engage in mentally challenging activities (like motorcycling) I think your driving skills will be fine well into your 80s. If your a big lump of sedentary couch flesh, by 65 you better turn in the car keys, get a clapper, life alert pendant, scooter from the Scooter Store and start watching the Weather Channel non stop. Your driving days are over.

An elderly lady almost nailed me one time. I had the green light and traveling at the speed limit at around 12:30pm on a sunny day and this elderly lady making a left turn went on a RED ARROW. She probably thought it was one of those YIELD ON GREEN. I was in the middle of the intersection when she decided to go and make the turn. My rear tire fishtailed but I got it under control. I was screaming inside my helmet in anger. Not panicking really helped me got out of there unharmed.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet and dead from head and internal injuries!

I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy. :dunno:

Agree..
Last year we had 9 fatal crashes over Memorial Day. 4 where motorcyclists. All 4 were - you guessed it --- no helmets. They had their freedom from oppressive government helmet laws. RIP I hope they had good organs so others could live.

Had an older gentleman (62) get killed on a cruiser (no idea what brand) last weekend here. Riding along (twistie backroad just out of Forsyth MO, went by the scene earlier today), when a gal (young, 32) in an oncoming SUV ran off the right side of the road, whipped it back, spinning around into the left (cruiser rider's) lane and hitting him head-on. Report said he was killed instantly.
It happens, helmet or not, old or young.. RIP.:please:

safty manual says most motorcycle wrecks happen when on comeing traffic turns left in front of a on comeing bike ussually at an intersection,,,,,one thing that I dispise is [where Ive been almost hit numerous times on my bike and in my car,,,is by people on their cell phones,,and to add insult to injury,when they see me make a superman move on the bike to keep from getting hit,,they dont even have the decency to throw their hand up in a gesture to apolgize,,they just watch me about dump the bike and keep on talking with their conversation eating a mcdonalds hamburger in the other hand,,,I know sometimes bike are hard to see,,but times like that,its hard to keep ones composure,,,,,,so I drive now like Im invisable and no one can see me and slow down going thru green lights,,,,

That is very unfortunate and I hate to hear it, I had a buddy that races go down on the track, his head hit the back tire of the bike in front of him, he is alive but basically has the mind of a child from the trauma. It is no secret riding is very dangerous and it can happen to any one of us at anytime just have to be very alert of your surroundings.

I had a little old lady pull out in front of me I think because she just did not see me, I was on a brand new at the time R1 2003 model, I was clipping along about 60-70 I saw her way up ahead pull out to cross two lanes of oncoming traffic as I started to slow and figured she would keep going I guess she panicked at the last minute when she saw me and stopped I had no choice but to grab all the brake I had.......the bike stopped...I did'nt. I slammed into the car broke my left femur and collar bone the bike never hit the car till this day I have no idea where the bike went.

Looking back I could have slowed down sooner and not assumed that this lady saw me or she would continue moving as she should have. There are instances where riders get clipped and never see it coming but a lot of accidents happen when a little more caution could have been used.

Be careful out there!

Sad to hear for sure. I have said on here many times that the really first piece of gear I grab is my helmet and a damn good one at that. I don't wear leathers or anything like that, never have.

Gear is a personal choice for sure, I think it all comes down to how comfortable you are on your motorcycle and how much you watch out for others, in front/behind, etc.

There is one piece of gear that is not an option for anyone, a helmet. If you ride without a helmet you are a straight up moron. No discussion on that one, you take a shot to the melon without a helmet and you are finished straight up. You break an arm, get road rash from a crash, etc. no big deal in the long run. The head is the game ender, protect it or else.

Here in Arizona we have a large concentrated population of senior citizens. There are some of them that I don't understand how they are still able to drive and obtain a driver's license. I think a lot of the people that have the power/ability to take their privilege's away are just to afraid/lazy to do so.

This is Carla Cagle from the May 30, 2010 post about the motorcycle wreck on Highway 20 on May 29, 2010. I was 44 years old and not 34. Also, the man killed on the motorcycle was my husband Francis Carter and so my name at the time was Carla Carter, Cagle is my maiden name. I entered my name in Google and this story came up, I had never seen this website before. I had read the article but was in the hospital so couldn't make corrections.
Here's a follow up on the story, I have since married and my name is Carla Cagle Traupman and you can find me on facebook by this name and see photos from when I was in the hospital at St. Francis. My pelvis was crushed and protruding from three places on my body, both of my arms were broken, my left leg broken, ribs broken, slight brain damage with 15 staples in my head and right index finger dislocated. I have metal screws and bars in both arms and my pelvis and hip. It took only 3 months in a hospital bed and I was walking with a walker then on my own by my 45th birthday October 2nd 2010. I was not wearing a helmet and only had a pair of shorts and halter top on with some tennis shoes on my feet. I have very minimal to no road rash. My husband, Francis did die from the accident and so did the passenger, the lady that was mentioned 48 years old.
If not for the power of prayer I would not be alive today, even the ambulance attendant prayed for me at the scene. We attend church, my new husband and I, where my mother-in-law, Francis' mom, attends church. The Lord healed me and although I still grieve and miss my late husband Francis very much God has seen us through much trauma, our kids were with us that day in a vehichle behind us and pulled up on the scene. We only owned the Harley for nine days when the accident happened and Francis had rode most of his life, it was our first Harley. My new husband and I ride today with the Priesthood MM Tulsa Metro Chapter.
I just found the article and thought I would reply to the thread and thank everyone that offered up prayer for our families because that is what has carried us through such a horrific mess. The power of prayer and God is an awesome thing and got me back on a motorcycle and I even learned to ride and had my own trike for a while but traded it for a Harley to be on the back again. I Know that it isn't the rider but the other cars and trucks out there that need to keep their eyes and ears open for all riders on the roadways. I never ride unprotected, I wear clothes and leathers but do not wear a helmet unless for a road trip and not a putt around town. God bless all riders and those who have lost family members to tragedies such as this.
Carla Cagle Carter-Traupman

Choice on helmets is right. I am Carla from the motorcycle wreck and I was not wearing a helmet and am still alive, if it is your time to go you go, if not then no.

Back