Two Motorcyclists killed

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news....es54662

Apparently, a husband and wife were on their bikes, the wife hit some gravel and dumped hers. The husband and 3 other people were in the road helping the wife pick up her bike and all five were struck by a drunk driver. I went to high school with on the victims, and the wife that was killed was a Broken Arrow elementary school teacher. Here is the story:

Suspect Arrested in Fatal Hit And Run Traffic Accident
KOTV - 11/10/2007 12:03 AM - Updated 11/11/2007 7:56 AM
Police say a Tulsa woman admits that she ran over and killed five people in a Friday night traffic accident. The deadly hit and run accident happened at 11:04 pm Friday at 12th and Memorial Drive. According to a Tulsa Police report, 37-year-old Kimberly Graham called 911 Saturday morning and told them she first thought she had hit a car. In the report, Tulsa Police say Graham told officers she ran off because she had been drinking.

Four of the victims were in the road trying to help a woman who had just wrecked her motorcycle. News On 6 reporter Emory Bryan reports Tulsa Police say the suspected driver, Kimberly Graham drove through the accident scene striking all five victims.

Tulsa Police say 37-year-old Kimberly Graham turned herself in Saturday morning. She told police where to find the pickup truck that fit the description of the one which left the accident scene. Tulsa Police say Graham was questioned about the accident and then taken to the Tulsa County jail, where she was booked on five complaints of second-degree manslaughter and five complaints of leaving the scene of an accident.

Three of the victims' bodies lay along a 50-yard section of Memorial Drive following the accident late Friday. EMSA ambulances rushed two other victims to Tulsa hospitals where they died as well.

Tulsa Police spent most of late Friday and early Saturday searching the scene for any clues to the pickup truck that ran over the victims.

"Obviously a terrible thing, a terrible collision that happened tonight," said Tulsa Police officer Jason Willingham.

Police say it started just after 11 pm Friday, when a woman had a motorcycle accident leaving the parking lot of the Back Yard Bar at 1229 South Memorial. Four people rushed out onto Memorial Drive to help her, when they were all run over by a Dodge Ram pickup truck. Witnesses gave Tulsa Police a detailed description but no tag number. Police found parts of the pickup truck at the scene.

Saturday morning, members of the victim's families were angry.

"And that's when this pickup came through and just plowed them under," said one victim's father Jim Lacy.

Lacy's son, 36-year-old Shannon Lacy was killed in the accident.

"He was, he had his stuff together and had a great life," said Jim Lacy.

Tulsa Police say four of the victims were risking their lives to help someone else when they were killed.

"This section of road is a decent lit piece of road, short of putting a fire truck out there, I don't know what else you could do,"￾ said police officer Jason Willingham.

Tusa Police continue to investigate the accident.

Update:

Teacher Among Five Killed In Hit And Run Accident
KOTV - 11/11/2007 3:01 PM - Updated 11/12/2007 11:46 AM
There is new information on Friday night's deadly hit and run accident near 12th and Memorial. The News on 6's Ashli Sims reports an award-winning Broken Arrow teacher and her husband were two of the five victims killed. Tulsa Police say Kimberly Graham confessed on Saturday to striking five people with her truck.

All five victims in that accident died. Graham fled from the scene of the crash, but turned herself in to Tulsa Police Saturday morning. Graham is being held in the Tulsa County jail on $175,000 bond.

Tulsa funeral homes have confirmed the five victims are 36-year-old Shannon Lacey, 29-year-old Casey Jones, 50-year-old Anita Foote, and husband and wife: 49-year-old Ronny and 42-year-old De Anna Coatney

De Anna Coatney was a 4th grade teacher at Broken Arrow's Lynn Wood Elementary School. According to the school website, she taught there for ten years. Coatney was named one of the state superintendent's master teachers. She leaves behind two children.

Her husband, Ronny Coatney, was also killed. According to De Anna's website, she and Ronny had been married for five years. He was an air-conditioning technician.

Tulsa police say in their report, the driver, Kimberly Graham, thought she'd hit another car. In that same report, she told police she drove off because she'd been drinking. She's accused of five counts of second degree manslaughter and five counts of leaving the scene of an accident.

The funeral home says the Coatneys' funeral services are tentatively scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Services for other accident victims are still pending.

Meanwhile, the family of De Anna and Ronny Coatney are getting support from their friends who share their passion for motorcycles. They've been at the family's home for two nights straight.

"They had 50 something odd bikes out here,"￾ said Kyle Willis, son of De Anna Coatney.

Twenty-year-old Kyle is serving in the U.S. Army and is based in Georgia. He says he knew something was wrong when he returned from work Saturday morning and saw where he had missed a number of calls from his sister, 17-year-old Korrie.

The Coatneys were members of the Steel Horse Riders. The members say the group is more of a family than a club.

I read this one too James..... The driver called and confessed ..... Drunk of course

Turns out the driver of the car was at the same bar that all of the victims were at earlier that evening. Dont drink and drive/ride! I dont know what to think Doug......I knew a couple of these people.

So very sad indeed..... AMA "Justice For All"; better apply here!!
To the friends and family of the victims; Our heart felt prayers go out!

It is a contuining amazement to me how people still drink/drive. WTF?

Horrible and senseless.....I think ALL cars should have those breathalysers in them where you have to blow into the tube before it'll start.

I had heard that when she turned herself in, her blood/alcohol level was still .20. How in the world do you not know you ran over 5 people and 2 motorcycles?

Turns out the driver of the car was at the same bar that all of the victims were at earlier that evening. Dont drink and drive/ride! I dont know what to think Doug......I knew a couple of these people.
You have to keep your faith in the forefront... We all have our time and we all have to leave..

Such a close group of people and such a senseless loss but perhaps there is a reason and we just are not privy to it..

Godspeed all....

condolences to the friends and family...

Good - I was thinking of doing that too but I also thought the family and friends would be doing the same... Thanks!!

Back