When did helmets get so expensive?

My Harley riding coworkers look at me like I have a third eye when I tell them how much my safety gear cost. I had and Arai that was last it’s “life” and replaced it by another Arai, but I want to give Shoei a try on my next go around.

I look at it a little differently. I like my head and the thoughts it produces. I want the baddest helmet available. I'm a racer that maybe rides a hundred miles a year on the street. The hand made Japanese helmets from Arai and Shoei are without a doubt some the best available. The Arai is shaped more for round heads where the Shoei fits a little more oval. My latest helmet the Shoei X-14 is the nicest one I've had yet. Shoei offers replacement pads (front, back, top, bottom, cheek) in three different sizes for a completely custom fit. Doesn't get any better than that.

A very wise man once told me, if you buy the very best YOU can afford, you'll never go wrong...

If people will pay more than a grand for a helmet... then that's the prices we get.... its a lot like PPV.... IF people are willing to pay to watch a fight (59-100 bucks) THEN the big fights will be PPV..... But know this.... in the 60 through the mid 80s.. the four kings plied their trade mostly on free network TV or later on still HBO.... this PPV BULLSHIK is driven by the clueless masses willing to pay... if there was no paying PPV customers.. these fights would be on free cable tv, and everyone could enjoy the sport.

Top of the line helmets are around the grand level , each manufacturer has the other line models of helmet that correspondingly go down the $ scale .
i know... but c'mon... they are beautiful helmets.... but how much do u think its costs the manufacturer to produce these units? I think we are being taken for a ride....... I just hate it when I feel like people are trying to take advantage.... Its tough for me to earn money... it seems so easy for others to scam it.

Have not seen Big E
on here for a while
but he always has
the latest ARAI helmets
( new in box ) for
several hundred dollars
less than retail .

Might send him a PM
and see what he has .
( I paid $800 retail from Revzilla for my last new Arai Corsair V, then saw where he had it for $500 ) .

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/arai-corsair-x-frost-black-size-x-large.194512/

9988.jpg

Eric was on the oRg this morning *

You're paying for R&D, and Snell testing, as well as inflation...which affects Everything.
As well as the high price of new materials, like carbon fiber.
Are the manufacture's making a good profit?
Of course, that's the goal of Any business.
If anyone wants to trust their head to a cheap helmet, go ahead. Maybe it works well enough in a crash...maybe it doesn't.
Arai used to have a picture on their website(they may still), of one of their helmets, the rider's head hit a guardrail, and crushed in a large fist sized hole over the top side of the sheild. Apparently the rider walked away. The impact alone had to have been enough to kill him, but somehow it didn't.
I do know that a cheaper made helmet would have let that guardrail go right through to his head.
Snell rating is worth having.
To each their own.
I'll stick with Shoei, as apparently I'm an egg head.
Try Bell, if you like Shoei, but need more forhead room.
Arai is for round heads.
The big 3 all have a different inner shape.

You're paying for R&D, and Snell testing, as well as inflation...which affects Everything.
As well as the high price of new materials, like carbon fiber.
Are the manufacture's making a good profit?
Of course, that's the goal of Any business.
If anyone wants to trust their head to a cheap helmet, go ahead. Maybe it works well enough in a crash...maybe it doesn't.
Arai used to have a picture on their website(they may still), of one of their helmets, the rider's head hit a guardrail, and crushed in a large fist sized hole over the top side of the sheild. Apparently the rider walked away. The impact alone had to have been enough to kill him, but somehow it didn't.
I do know that a cheaper made helmet would have let that guardrail go right through to his head.
Snell rating is worth having.
To each their own.
I'll stick with Shoei, as apparently I'm an egg head.
Try Bell, if you like Shoei, but need more forhead room.
Arai is for round heads.
The big 3 all have a different inner shape.
r and d...... and carbon fiber? do u pay for PPV fights?

I have paid for fights, real fights, ufc...not boxing, lol
Sometimes one of us pays for the whole fight, but usually we all throw $10 and byob.
I rest my case … and it cracks me up when UFC guys say ufc is a "real fight".... u guys think its impossible to get outta a rear naked choke or armbar.... I just laugh.... its not a real fight at all.. super simple... u know how to escape a naked choke? there are 2 ways in a "real fight"

In all fights there is a winner and a loser and it doesn't matter how you win as long as you do-a former Close Quarter Combat instructor told us that years ago.
the question stands... if someone was choking u out from behind... what would u do? and don't say shoot them.

I rest my case … and it cracks me up when UFC guys say ufc is a "real fight".... u guys think its impossible to get outta a rear naked choke or armbar.... I just laugh.... its not a real fight at all.. super simple... u know how to escape a naked choke? there are 2 ways in a "real fight"

For the record, I think submission victories are a joke.
Especially a choke hold. There are only 2 reasons to choke someone. One, for some reason, you really don't want to hurt the guy, and could otherwise easily stomp his ass.
Two, you're a bitch, got lucky, and know if you let the guy go, he's gonna kill you.
In a real fight(outside any training or competition, yes, most anything is fair game.
As for boxing, it's a great skill set...but utterly useless outside anything other than, well...boxing.
Muy tai, kickboxing, crav maga, even the highly underated karate are far superior to boxing. And, for the record, anyone can land a lucky hit at anytime.
Boxing itself is good training, stamina, hand/eye cooridination. But, other than that, you stand in front of one another and exchange, dodge, and block punches until the bell rings, or someone falls down.
I have put my knee into a "boxer's" head, and he went down...I guess he was watching my hands.

the question stands... if someone was choking u out from behind... what would u do? and don't say shoot them.

I know how to get out of that, several ways.
I've done it many times.
Could I do it again the next time? Maybe, maybe not.
At least I'm prepared and stand a chance.
The only defense boxing teaches is blocking, dodging...and hanging on your opponent when you're tired.

For the record, I think submission victories are a joke.
Especially a choke hold. There are only 2 reasons to choke someone. One, for some reason, you really don't want to hurt the guy, and could otherwise easily stomp his ass.
Two, you're a bitch, got lucky, and know if you let the guy go, he's gonna kill you.
In a real fight(outside any training or competition, yes, most anything is fair game.
As for boxing, it's a great skill set...but utterly useless outside anything other than, well...boxing.
Muy tai, kickboxing, crav maga, even the highly underated karate are far superior to boxing. And, for the record, anyone can land a lucky hit at anytime.
Boxing itself is good training, stamina, hand/eye cooridination. But, other than that, you stand in front of one another and exchange, dodge, and block punches until the bell rings, or someone falls down.
I have put my knee into a "boxer's" head, and he went down...I guess he was watching my hands.
lol.. specifically what do u do to get outta a choke.... and stay outta this frank.

Back