helmet helmet helmet

bigjohn141

Donating Member
Registered
Right now i have a HJC AC-11 helmet. Its a good helmet, lightweight and comfortable. The only thing I dont like is the wind noise, it is unreal. I was thinking about getting a shoei RF-1000. I heard shoei was a good choice for low wind noise. I would like your advice on a good helmet that is QUIET, lightweight, and comfortable. If anyone has heard anything on the new scorpion helmets, I would love some real life info on them.

Some have said the RF1000 has some wind noise that the RF900 didn't, if I remember correctly. Arai and SHOEI make good helmets, but helmets are like anything else that it depends on the user and their preferences.

bigjohn141, I have a HJC and a Shoei X-11... Dont wear the HJC much, does not make me feel all that safe... and I agree, the Noise is a wee bit high!

Why dont you opt for the Shoei X-11, its a really good helmet... love it
biggrin.gif

I have a HJC and don't really notice the wind noise that much. Oh well, maybe it's just me loving the fact that I'm riding and that's all that matters.

Shoei and Arai are both good helmets, but check the fit at a local dealer. The shape of helmet from both are different from each other, so you'll need to make sure it fits correctly.

Ear plugs dude!

Buy a quality helmet that FITS! All of them are going to have wind noise. The wind noise comes from the seal around the neck. Some helmets are tapered a bit more at the neck and will generate a little less noise. None of them are quiet. I personally like the Arai Quantum but it just happens to fit my huge ass head.

Most of the riders in our group all use ear plugs to quiet the noise. I always ride with ear plugs!

Ear plugs dude!

Buy a quality helmet that FITS! All of them are going to have wind noise. The wind noise comes from the seal around the neck. Some helmets are tapered a bit more at the neck and will generate a little less noise. None of them are quiet. I personally like the Arai Quantum but it just happens to fit my huge ass head.

Most of the riders in our group all use ear plugs to quiet the noise. I always ride with ear plugs!
+1 on the ear plugs. I finally started wearing them and it makes a huge difference in my hearing after a ride.

Also, fwiw, most any lid that flows enough air to ventilate properly will likely have fairly significant "wind noise" I have an RF1000 and without plugs the wind noise is pretty loud at speed. The ventilation is great though.

I thought it would be awkard riding with plugs. I thought it would keep me from hearing things I "need" to hear. The first couple rides felt kinda funny, but now I actually feel wierd if I don't have plugs in. I don't feel cheated or handicapped in any way with plugs in. Oh, and maybe I'll keep my hearing longer and be able to hear that exhaust note for a few more years if I keep using plugs.
biggrin.gif

on the topic of helmet, whats do you guys think the ICON Mainframe Helmet's?
I just received one yesterday from GMbusa, $175 delivered! Unfortunately, from looking at the forcast, I won't get to ride with it for at least a week. I like the fit even though my head is between a meduim & a large. I went with the medium, which seems a little tight when I tried it on yesterday compared to the demo model I tried on. The large flopped around on my head. As far as wind noise... well.. I guess I can put it on & stick my head out the window of my car as I drive down the road!!
biggrin.gif

I have friend with an Icon Mainframe. He likes it, but still wears earplugs. I have two Fulmers, two HJC's, a Z1R, and a Shoei RF900. Goes without saying the Shoei is much better than the rest in all aspects but cost. It is definately the quietest.

I came out of an Arai, really nice helmet. Shoei seems pretty good also, and I have heard good things about the AGV. Presently wearing a KBC, not bad for a less expensive lid, but I will go for another Arai or AGV next.

Very important to try a few on.

For online sales, except Arai, try Helmet Harbor
http://www.helmetharbor.com/

I've had great luck with them every time I have dealt with them

Good luck
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

I have the HJC CL14. It is kind of loud but I do like it. Good price, meets safety standards, good look. I am satisfied:)

2005_0213Image20002.JPG

I'm wearing an ICON. It's a great deal for the price.

Nice look, light weight, Nice feel...

Not quiet...

and it's not going to have a long life... but for the price, I like it alot!

..., trip

PS, BusainSD, Be glad you got the Medium... I'll fit right in no time
smile.gif
They break in Quickly.

<!--EDIT|trip
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108620553 -->

DSC01361.jpg

...I should try wearing those earplugs! Though the noise in my shoei x-11 is quite bearable for me
smile.gif

Hey jay, thats a nice contraption that you got there... I think id prefer that to a earplug, given an option
biggrin.gif

Hey jay, thats a nice contraption that you got there... I think id prefer that to a earplug, given an option
biggrin.gif
It does the trick no doubt. Obviously ventilation is a little worse because it stops the airflow coming from underneath the helmet (but that is where 90% of the noise comes from!)

Its a whole different experience with the queit rider on....VERY quiet (not completely, but BIG difference).

It is universal meaning it fits any helmet, but like I stated...the CL-14 is a P.O.S., so it took me like 45 minutes to figure out a good way to put it on there. I really thought I was going to have to cut up the helmet and then superglue everything together....but I used some gorilla strength to MAKE it fit! And now it fits so well you would think the helmet came like that.

I wear ear plugs as well. I don't want get old and death due to the wind noise from my helmet.

I came out of an Arai, really nice helmet. Shoei seems pretty good also, and I have heard good things about the AGV. Presently wearing a KBC, not bad for a less expensive lid, but I will go for another Arai or AGV next.

Very important to try a few on.

For online sales, except Arai, try Helmet Harbor
http://www.helmetharbor.com/

I've had great luck with them every time I have dealt with them

Good luck
smile.gif
smile.gif
Just a heads up on possibly better deals on lids if you're looking to buy one right now. Try Flatout Motorcycles and ask for Slava (like Lava from a volcano) when you call. Their site is down for a redo, but if you call him on stuff like lids and gear he will usually give the lowest price available. I've bought all my 10 mods from him so far and haven't beat his prices yet. Good customer service so far as well.

Tell him "El Diablo" from the 10R forum told you to call... He won't know who BulletTrain is...
wink.gif

He carries Shoei and Suomy lids I know. Don't know what other brands...

His number is 317-890-9110...

smile.gif

Back