Scorpion helmets

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I asked about helmets that were light and didn't fog and got a lot of answers which I appreciated.

Guys that liked Scorpion helmets seem to think they were plenty light and absolutely wouldn't fog. Also, I think they said that Scorpions were better for long heads and didn't have a round profile.

That sounds really good to me, since my head is long. If I wear glasses, the temples always have to be extra long. In most helmets, my chin wants to rub the front which is really annoying. I saw some Scorpions from $250 to about $350. Any particular model that is better?

I have a cheap Zeus helmet now. The only thing I like about it is that the whole front pivots up and out of the way if you push a button that is inside close to the chin. That makes it easier to get over glasses or talk to someone easily.

I've decided to go with contacts and a dedicated helmet. This one is too heavy and prone to vibrate past 150. It's not that I think a more expensive helmet is going to help much in a high speed fall, I just think that my view of the road would be steadier with a sleeker more padded helmet.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad choice, please chime in. Otherwise I'm going to buy.

I have two EXO 700s and love them both.  One is nearly 4 years old and I got a deal on the other so I got it just recently.  They vent well and the shield does NOT fog.  In very cold temps a chin curtain would work OK for the under the chin draft but otherwise, its a great helmet.

The model I got, a Raider, is now sold out in the color I wanted but they have others. Not a bad price either, $150 delivered.

http://www.thehelmetsource.com/Merchan....-002-04

Thanks for the link! Do the face shields really change out as quick as they say? It's a pain wearing a dark shield and coming out to find it to dark to wear. Not sure where I would carry a clear one though.

Sounds like you have a modular helmet now. The whole front flips up on a modular. They are not as safe as a normal full face. If you have a frontal impact (high percentage), they tend to collapse and your face is toast, specifically your jaw, mouth, and nose. A cheap full face is better then any modular. I have three modular helmets and used to wear one 100% of the time. Someone pointed that out to me and shortly after that, I went down. Turned my head at the last second to prevent a face plant though. Now I am scared to death of the modulars. Yes, I am just ugly naturally...:)

Thanks for the link! Do the face shields really change out as quick as they say?  It's a pain wearing a dark shield and coming out to find it to dark to wear.  Not sure where I would carry a clear one though.
Yep they change in seconds but I never carry an extra. I wear Rx sunglasses anyway so I use a clear shield.

My experience mirrors cbxrider's to the tee! Also got my 2nd for 150$,same place. Great helmets
thumb_up.gif

The new scorpion 1000 has a tinted visor on the inside that flips down. My wife just got one at Road America for $300. warranty for a year on the fog free visor. and only $35 for a new shield. compared to my $85 Arai shield that fogs up in rain.

Also if your head is more oval shaped like mine, your forehead is not going to like it. My wifes got more of a round head and loved it. They didn't have her size at the race so no ride report.

I have a Scorpion 700. I also have a big freakin melon. It fits my head very comfortably. I wear an XL, and its not too heavy. Its quiet, it breathes well, and the face shields do in fact change out extremely fast. Can you get a better helmet? Sure. Can you get a better helmet for the money? NO.

Just my opinion.

What he said above and you heard correctly they fit a long face/ head.  Mine is round and fit was a little odd.  Nolan and AGV helmets fit me better.  On a side note I wear a large in most other manufacturers but needed an XL in the scorpion.

i have heard nothing that great about the new scorpion 1000 alot of people i know that have them wish they would have stayed with the 700 they say the 1000 feels like it weighs a ton after riding

both my wife and I wear an EXO 700...LOVE THEM!!!
thumb_up.gif
It is that easy to change face shields....very light weight and vents well!!

EXO 400 here, for the last 4 years. Better than my Shoei OR HJCs. And The shield was fantastic, never fog, and changes in mere seconds!! Priced right as well
bowdown.gif

iv got an exo 1000, a icon domain and a shoei rf 900. i like them all. i didnt notice the scorpion being that much heavier, but alot of people say they have. great helmet for the money! really like the inner visor.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for the link! Do the face shields really change out as quick as they say? It's a pain wearing a dark shield and coming out to find it to dark to wear. Not sure where I would carry a clear one though.
Yep they change in seconds but I never carry an extra. I wear Rx sunglasses anyway so I use a clear shield.
OK, how hard is it to put the helmet on and the put your glasses on?

I have the 700 I love it. I am not a helmet expert but I love mine. Very good airflow I can wear glasses under it if I choose.

the one thing I do not like about the Scorpion helmets is that i like to ride with the shield cracked open a bit. the first opening on the shield is a bit to much air.

I have a 1000 and 700 and have not had a problem with either one. Also as far as weight goes I am sure any helmet feels heavier after a ride if you have been sweating in it

Back