What to do when you lock up the rear tire.

i close the throttle until it hooks then reapply ever so slightly. works for me!

i've practiced getting used to the tail wagging thing by stopping as quickly as possible with the front brake while letting engine braking in first gear do it's thing from around 50mph.
hard on the front takes weight off the back and the engine braking causes the semi-slide thing that makes the tail wag. becoming comfortable with the bike doing this has helped me in a few emergency braking situations, as well as being on the track

i also typically practice it in spots i know really well. coming up to a stop light that may have more oil on it than you expect can change things pretty quickly

i locked my rear up this past summer, did exactly what they teach at MSF, thank goodness. scared the crap out of me, but i safely slid to a halt, busa safe, but my soiled boxers were not lol

I grew up on dirt bikes and still do offroad. The key for both front and rear on any bike is to learn automatic reflexes, so that if you lock up, you release without having to think, before the slide gets out of hand.

When you lose the rear, it is a lot easier to get it back than the front.

As a MSF instructor we teach students to use both brakes. As stated above approximately 70% braking done with front, 30% with rear. The first time students lock up the rear --they scare the shid out of themselves. The first time they lock up the front--it scares the shid out of me!!

Would you propose that on a gravel road as well?

Class says to ride the rear tire out.It will follow the front wheel as long as its straight right?? The class is a good thing to take.I will take more when I get time.

Back