Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Ill see what I can do Doc... No guarantees
Would be cool if we had some type of on-line quizzes to go along with the info.
cool.gif
Once again coach, thanx for all the info.

Brian

laugh.gif

ices_rofl.gif
 That's it Rev, we have to have a brake off. You bring your group I bring my group and we'll brake.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I love hearing every ones take on different things.  Keeps me learning too. Thanks again bro for your input and keep bringing them to the class, I need a paycheck.
biggrin.gif
I certinly will keep sending them Bro...

I thought about a brake off as well... But I then realized that one of us will prolly go down trying to prove that the others technique is flawed or could be improved, that damned ego will kick in... know what I mean? I proctice my panic/Emergency braking at least once a ride, and I know that the edge is right ---> Here. So in a brake off I am willing to bet that before any solid conclusions are reached... One of us would be on the ground... It's like a Kung-foo call out, someone is liable to get hurt. Not that it's a certainty but when really practicing the Emergency braking the edge of the traction envelope is really damn close... Sorta like doin wheelies on request... When there is people watching and the pressure is applied, that is when Murphy is going to show up... Anyone down your way rent sportbikes? Then I'll show up and gladly go head to head...
smile.gif

How about this, I'll collar a rookie, remove his rear brake pedal and teach him how to stop in a hurry. You do the same to your own Rookie but teach him the "Correct" way to stop... Then we can let one of them crash to prove a point. How does that sound?
smile.gif

Would sorta screw up the local police though wouldn't it? Worlds fastest bikes hammering it all the way to 60 MPH then absolutely standing them things on their noses? Then doin it again? Sort of a bassackwords kinda race...

I'll keep chasing them into class though, you keep training em'.
Thanks again for the Tips... Good stuff...

Rev

laugh.gif

smile.gif

Would be nice to have a Safety/Techniques forum. Maybe we can convince the big guys..

Hey rev, the rookie idea sounds like a better one.
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
Cool... Now I gotta go find me a rookie... Preferably one wearing flip-flops and a tank top riding a new GSXR1000... Heck there are plenty to choose from... I'll of course make certain that he has never been to MSF, or a track school, has no license, no insurance, but is an "Expert". Should be easy pickings here in Florida....
smile.gif

Hi! I'm a new rookie biker. I'm thinking about buying a Hiyabusa or a Kawasaki 10R as my first bike. I would like to participate in your experiment. Send info to my personal email address at dmw@sixfeetunder.com

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086265737 -->

Personal testimony: I took MSF as a total cycle newb, learned the RIGHT way to do stuff, then altered to fit riding style. In other words, I learned and rode using rear break for a year, learned and rode with many fingers covering clutch/break. I consider that CRUCIAL to my own personal safety instincts. Now, I use two fingers to cover and pretty much never use the rear break because the way I ride it's worthless except slowing to stop in a 35 zone. BOTH systems are very important to understand and I feel the oder in which they are arrived is equally important. My 36 cents [ain't inflation great?]

Hey Rev, im still working on my newbie. Probably going to get me a 45 year old Harley Davidson rider with a mid life crisis
laugh.gif
WWJD, you are exactly right. You have to find your grove as a rider and it is important to learn all techniques. You should never stop learning.
biggrin.gif

Ridercoach, bike brakes, all a can say is wow and the busa brakes are good.  I'm still alive because of them.  Last Saturday on a ride around Mt Rainier a deer ran right out in front of me.  I hit both the back and front brakes hard as I could, back brake kept locking up as I slowed from 70 mph to just under 10 in no time at all.  Missed the deer by inches, in my car that deer would have ended up in my lap.  Great post everyone needs to keep fresh on riding technics.

bump.gif
For the New Folks...  READ THE WHOLE SET, Then ask some questions...  
smile.gif

Big Thanks and Credit to Rider Coach...  He put a lot of effort into these...

Learn to Stop!

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096899627 -->

Well today was the day, I joined the club! Not the 200mph club and not thr mile high one either. I layed my new 04 LE busa down! Just like you said, a low slide. Coming up to a stop sign I touched the front and rear brakes lightly at the same time and out to the left went the front wheel! The bike went left and I went right. I was wearing all the gear so I came out unscratched. And the bike had only minor scratches to the right faring and muffler. My friend and I continued on our trip without any more problems. When I got the bike in July I wanted to get slidders for it, after reading a lot of the posts no this sight, but I could not bring myself to drill holes in a "new" bike. Well it isn't new anymore and after its patched up and painted it will get a full set of sliders.
What a day..

I could have sworn that I posted this in a safety gear thread. Then I take a look at it an see I am in an great brake world thread!
Dadgummit!

Been reading the site on and off for a bit. Some pretty good stuff throughout!

Greg Sorry to hear of you joining that "club". Glad you had your gear on and walked away. Humans can be pretty fragile and a low speed crash can do a lot more harm than seems reasonable.
I am surprised at the attitude of folks that *should* know better. Little story:
A good friend ran his new cruiser wide in a corner. Unfortunately I watched most of it happen as I tried to quickly and safely slow down and pull over. Overloaded bike (for stock settings), newer rider, first serious curves of the ride, lotsa gravel beside road. This is the second time I have hauled a rider off a hill due to a crash.
sad.gif
sad.gif
This cruiser needed a trailer to get home previous BMW sport unit did not. Both did involve a pretty serious, long to heal shoulder injury. Some 25 miles later as he is sucking on morphine waiting for his shoulder to be relocated into its approximate correct location I am sitting bedside in ER in my heavy old Aerostitch suit. One of the staff made a comment about my suit being uncomfortable and suggested he would not wear such. huh?!? At least the surgeon who fixed my friend up was a rider that indicated some concern about the challenges of the twisties we were riding in and mentioned he had not riden there yet. I presume he would not shun "over-done" riding gear.
BTW my friend was wearing chaps and jeans, a full face helmet and a brand new mesh jacket. They served him very well (helmet was replaced). We had a 450 mile plus day planned and had been in 104F temps for many a mile a bit earlier. Probably too hot to wear a 'Stitch for most but by keeping hydrated and splashing some water on the shirt under it I was OK.
I have purchased a mesh jacket and Draggin jeans since his crash and although I wear them on occasion I feel almost naked in them compared to my 'Stitch. My 'Stitch has been crash tested and I had nary a bruise or a scratch. Good gear is AWESOME!

Although I have rabid opposition to adults having mandatory safety laws shoved down their throat as for me and mine we wear and vigorously encourage the use of full face quality lids as well as ALL the other appropriate neck down gear for all our friends and associates.

As for my friend, safety gear (and a great surgeon) permitted him, with a little soreness, to complete a 4k+ mile road trip to Sturgis this year 6 weeks after the crash on a new cruiser. If ya likes to ride good gear can help ya get back in the saddle quicker.

My favorite response to, "aren't those suits expensive?" is "not as much as skin grafts".

Brake content: the marks on the road seem to indicate the rear was locked up and my friend swore the front was held tight too, until he left the road. Not enough turning clearance and threat of highside and serious drop off caused him to lay it down after it left the road.

Busaless for the moment.
blues.gif

<span style='color:teal'>You live and learn. Or you don't live long.
- Robert Heinlein</span>

<span style='color:teal'>Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
-Matthew 10:32-33</span>

<!--EDIT|ThePerfectCorner
Reason for Edit: "added brake comments and disclaimer for clueless posting :)"|1100478699 -->

sad.gif

Thanks coach I am with you. Why use just 70% of the braking power when you can use 100%. Is just an art.

Wear about's are yoy from I've been teaching people to ride bikes for about 10 years now and I'm in Cambridge Ont and I hear the same thing. I don't know about you but I get some people come through that shouldn't be on a bike makes you kind of wonder about them when they leave.

You might find this amusing: I jusy bought an 04 with some road wear on the right fairing. The seller said that you should only use the front brakes on this type of bike. This comment seemed a bit weird but I let it slide. The rear brake made a little metallic noise and didn't stop well, so when I brought it home I checked it out. Someone had installed ebc hh pads but one was backwards, with the metal backing plate against the rotor. I'm guessing this accounted for the comment, and maybe the road rash.

Back