Why rear brakes only?

M3Busa

Registered
Why do some guys only use rear brakes on the steet? I watched a guy slide about 60 feet and almost lay the bike down, because of using the rear brakes only. The rear tire locked up instantly. He could have come to a complete stop in less than half the distance.

Why the fear of front brakes?

I know of a few HD riders around here that don't like to touch the front brakes. They think it's safer to use the rear one:whistle: A guy at work blew by the people he was riding with, at a stop sign, because he used only the rear brake on wet pavement. He said if a car had been coming it would have hit him. I ask why he didn't use the front brake and his response was " If I had touched the front brake on wet pavement I would have went down on the spot". They want listen to anything I've got to say. I've went down a couple of times so I get told all the time I don't know how to ride ??? Also, same guy has no problem slamming down a couple pitchers of beer then climb on his bike for a ride.

I know of a few HD riders around here that don't like to touch the front brakes. They think it's safer to use the rear one:whistle: A guy at work blew by the people he was riding with, at a stop sign, because he used only the rear brake on wet pavement. He said if a car had been coming it would have hit him. I ask why he didn't use the front brake and his response was " If I had touched the front brake on wet pavement I would have went down on the spot". They want listen to anything I've got to say. I've went down a couple of times so I get told all the time I don't know how to ride ??? Also, same guy has no problem slamming down a couple pitchers of beer then climb on his bike for a ride.

Darwin will catch up to that fool.... One day...

Could be a cruiser guy??? I know several guys that ride cruisers and swear by the rear brake:dunno:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

+1 for "you mean there is a rear brake?" :whistle:

I always thought that lever on the right foot peg was just a light switch for the rear light and if you want to pitch your bike sideways to show off.:banghead: I think the myth of only use the rear break came from the HD guys with extreme rack and ape hangers.

I use the rear brake on the street, but I use it in combination with the fronts and only to augment the front. I also use the rear to sit at a stop light and keep the bike stationary.

I only read about not using the rear brake on here, quite a while ago.
Been paranoid to go near the thing since.

Is there any time you can use the rear brake?.

The rear brake is not all evil. It can be used in conjunction with the front brake to help balance the chassis and increase braking ability.

BUT, most suspension setups are not setup to balance the weight properly under braking. All of weight transfers to the front unloading the rear tire and causing a lockup.

Ask 100 racers and 50 use it, 50 don't. It really comes down to style and preference but more importantly, bike setup. Does your bike pitch forward a lot under braking or does it squat evenly front and rear? If you picked the latter you can probably safely apply the rear brake.

Why do some guys only use rear brakes on the steet? I watched a guy slide about 60 feet and almost lay the bike down, because of using the rear brakes only. The rear tire locked up instantly. He could have come to a complete stop in less than half the distance.

Why the fear of front brakes?

They are either Harley owners, former Harley owners, or people who are utterly ignorant about how braking functions on a motorcycle. If you can be bothered, check out some of the many, many threads on any Harley forum, where tons of idiots are advising other idiots that they should never use the front brake under any circumstances.

Rainbow7 said:
They are either Harley owners, former Harley owners, or people who are utterly ignorant about how braking functions on a motorcycle. If you can be bothered, check out some of the many, many threads on any Harley forum, where tons of idiots are advising other idiots that they should never use the front brake under any circumstances.

One of my Harley buddies replaced his rear brakes at 9k miles and fronts at 21k:whistle:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Back