What to do when you lock up the rear tire.

Let's keep it simple. Just remember the 75/25 rule. When stopping quickly put 75% pressure on the front brake and 25% on the back.

I think I'm going to attend the next wheel school the department has for the wheel officers, learn the brake and escape, keyhole, ect. If you watch the way those training officers handle those Harleys and Kaws, you'll know you're not riding the Busa to its full potential.

Last edited:
As a MSF instructor we teach students to use both brakes. As stated above approximately 70% braking done with front, 30% with rear. The first time students lock up the rear --they scare the shid out of themselves. The first time they lock up the front--it scares the shid out of me!!

I have had this exact thing happen to me, and all I can say is that God was riding with me, because I was coming off an exit and not going straight. Somehow I recovered the bike, but I have no clue how. I was obviously in auto pilot. I didn't go down, but I couldn't tell you what I did to recover. It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life.

As a MSF instructor we teach students to use both brakes. As stated above approximately 70% braking done with front, 30% with rear. The first time students lock up the rear --they scare the shid out of themselves. The first time they lock up the front--it scares the shid out of me!!

I am with you 100% on this one.

I have had this exact thing happen to me, and all I can say is that God was riding with me, because I was coming off an exit and not going straight. Somehow I recovered the bike, but I have no clue how. I was obviously in auto pilot. I didn't go down, but I couldn't tell you what I did to recover. It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life.

You down shifted too fast and lost traction. Locking the breaks would have been a bonus. :whistle:

most of us are not pro riders, locking the rear is a bad idea as we all know. Controling a slid would be very difficult for most of us. I f the rear tire locks, if at all possible keep it locked until bike stops.

If You Feel you are about to Go Down..................Let Go and land on your Side or AZZ Cheeks (Less Damage)..................Yes LOW SIDE is MUCH Better than HIGH SIDING your Bike :2cents:

Locking the back brake is not a big deal unless you are in a turn... then it can be very tricky. Get off the brake if you're not going to immediately hit something, let the tire roll out and let the bike stabilize momentarily. Ride out the curve as well as you can... remember you can almost always go lower and more aggressively in turns in order to recover. It gets really tricky if you locking up because of aggressive/unwise downshifting. This is were a slipper clutch comes in handy. Basically the same advise holds get off the brakes momentarily, let the bike set up and take another stab at braking and steering out of the curve.

Last edited:
Here in MD I was not impressed much with what they were turning out from the MSF classes based upon the skills from two of my buddies who are new to riding and just graduated. I didn't take the MSF here in MD since I got my license in Ohio back in 1986. The MSF is better than nothing, but it didn't do much for a couple guys I know other than teach them to go around a parking lot. I often recommend the Total Control Clinic (by Lee parks) that is often give at MSF locations on alternate weekends---it's more about cornering and braking. Here in MD they don't do much work with skid control from what I understand---but of course it's better than having nothing.

From riding on the track, and even some aggressive street riding let's say...I've locked up a tire or two on my Ducati and R1:-) You are right....if you skid the back tire it is best to stay on the brakes until you come to a stop...unless you know what you are doing. The danger is the obvious highside when the rear tire regains traction. It can happen to even the best of pro riders on the track. My buddy did it on his 999 right in front of me running at VIR. He crashed and did $3600 damage to his bike.

The only time that I will let off the brakes in a skid is if I can somehow get the bike skidding straight with both wheels in somewhat of an alignment. If the back tire is out to the side and you let off the brakes you're probably going to get bucked off. It is really a case by case thing. As you know:-)

Yea but most are pretty much incapable of maintaining the slide either (no dirt bike experience) Any guesses on how many could ride the slide?

Really a bad situation for most... let up, get highsided, dont letup, lowside....

Learning this skill on a busa is a bad bad idea too.... you better have it down pat before hopping on and trying it...(well unless you got lots of $$ for plastic)

Couldn't agree more, I grew up in motocross most people will say that off road riding has little to do with street riding which is mostly true until the chips are down. Being able to power slide a bike has saved me more than once when the back tire has stepped out in a corner. Allot of the things that are counter intuitive are hard to learn but are invaluable. Panic is what puts most guys down not their abilities or their bikes limitations.

One thing I was taught to do is find an empty parking lot and practice hard stops, gradually increasing speed and rear brake until you start to break traction. One thing it does is gives you the feeling of how much brake v. speed it will take to lock up. Nice to remember that for the future. It also gives you practice in riding out a slide in a controlled place at lower speeds. I'd rather have the "learning" experience there than on the road.

After that, try the same tactic with the front brake (very carefully), then both at the same time.

Sometimes the best preventative measure is knowing how the bike will respond in a certain situation BEFORE the situation. A split second is all it takes to turn a pucker moment you tell your friends about into an ambulance ride.

Keep it locked if it locks and ride it out, I use my rear brake a lot in combination with the fronts, more specifically in slow manuevers and mastering the art of a lock up has saved me some headaches specially going through cars when i got to make a sudden stop but dont want to upset the front just in case i have to manuever out , sometimes i lock it up, it does slow you down...but to someone who does not know how to react can be pretty bad...the whole not using the rear is a big myth IMO, its just a matter of balance, the front provide most stopping power and even more when combined with the rear...i think its just a matter of preference and better yet experience and knowing how. The problem is a lot of riders STOMP on the rear instead of gradually applying it.

I have to agree. I have taken the MSF Basic Course, Experienced Course, and most recenty the ARC-ST (Advanced Riding Course-Sport Techniques). I have been riding for about 7 years but these courses will help you ride better and avoid accidents. Additionally, in the event you go down, the courses should teach you the skills needed to minimize serious injuries and serious damage to your bike.

If you lock that rear brake up, hold on, DO NOT let it go or you could be in a world of hurt, especially on a big bike like a Busa.

I have to admit that in the past two weeks this has happened to me twice and both times I rode right out and was ready to kick the crap out of the caged driver in front of me. This is an experience I don't want anymore for anyone or for my self. The one this last week when I came out of it and got stopped, due to a black nissan pick up truck in front of me, when I looked down I was looking at his bumper. I was none to pleased and yet, I was proud at the same time that I did it without a panic. I was pretty angry. Now by no means do I have the experience that most of you have here. I was just proud that I remembered how to do it correctly. :thumbsup: Awesome post and thanks!!!

Sometimes I try to do things that I did on dirt, you know what you can't do that all the time.

Ive locked the rears a couple of times and successfully released the brake before it went sideways. Timing is everything i think, if you locked the rear to the point its starting to go out of line then its game over and just keep your foot on the brake, if you are still straight or just barely begun to lock id say you have a fair chance at saving it. It worked twice for me in a emergency situation. Both times were on my gixxer 750. The first time was when a lady cut out of the double yellow line on the carpool lane while i was lane splitting, i braked so hard it locked the rear and nearly lifting the rear tire, i let go when i felt the rear was locked (it wasn't wandering yet). Second time i was cruising down the freeway at night and ran over something on the freeway, i didn't think much of it but it managed to mangle my front rotors so i had no front brakes at all. There aint nothing more fearful then approaching a nice 20 mph exit curve and finding out the brake lever bottoms out with no front brakes doing still 85-90mph. I basically rev matched down shifted quickly as i braked as hard as i could with rear brake only trying to avoid locking it, well it finally locked for a few feet when i was just about getting into the curve, i let off and took that turn doing about 45, and barely made it without crashing. I almost shat myself that day. Not saying its the best method since each scenario is different but ive had a few instances where i managed to stay on the bike after letting go of a locked brake.:beerchug:

my best advice is also the hardest to follow: stay calm

the whole 70/30 thing was always confusing to me. my guess is to apply 70% of your attention to the front brake and 30% to the rear. if you're trying to stop, the front is where you have the most power. you want to get as close to that sliding point as possible, without causing it to slide. so personally, i put 99% attention on the front and just drag the back a little. if it starts feeling squirly, i adjust the pressure front/rear depending on which one is starting to slide

This excact thing happened to me years ago when first riding the busa (racing err riding down a mountain full of twistys with a fellow biker) wont do that again for a while at that speed.
The rear locked up and started to wildly sliding left to right and did not want to stop.
All I did was to counter steer and stand up on the pegs just a little moving my weight the opposite side of the seat as it went left and right.
I also kept the front brake on but backed it off to say half of what I had it when the slide started.
It certainly woke me up I tell you haha..but I learnt a hell of a lot out of it.

I did not panic..didnt have time too..haha but thats the best advice I think in this situation..you are up untill you are down so no point stressing/panicing when it happens.

Richo

Back