Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
I hope you all had a wonderful and safe memorial day weekend. I got stuck teaching a class but hey, its all for the safety. One of my students owns 4 hayabusas. He was taking the class for himself (who never had an endorsement but has been riding for 21 years) and his soon to be wife who never rode a motorcycle before. Great group of people, couldn't have asked for a better group to spend Saturday and Sunday with. Well any ways, to the safety topic of the week. Brakes, its all about brakes.

The stopping power of a motorcycle. Isn't it amazing, if you know how to do it right. A motorcycle can stop in almost half the distance of a car, maybe even less if the rider is well trained. I ask every class I teach about what they have heard about using motorcycle brakes. In every class I always hear the same, "Don't use your front brake, you'll go over the handlebars" Or "There is no need for your back brake". Every time I hear these I just laugh.

So lets debunk these wives tales. Yes, when motorcycles first came out you could go over the handle bars if you braked to hard same holds true for current bicycles, but the invention of the front shocks has done away with this. You will never go over the handle bars unless you were doing something intentionally stupid (Stoppie or Endo). So if you lock up the front wheel what happens? You do something called a low side. If you lock up the front wheel and not let go, your motorcycle will dive to one way or the other and you will fall off to that side creating a low side fall. Locking up the front wheel happens when you don't allow the weight to transfer to the front wheel before you squeeze into the brake (we wont get into to much detail). Sum it up, never Grab the front break just squeeze it. Apply more pressure as you stop.

Never use your rear brake? Huh, where did this one come from? If you know please enlighten me. I think it came from people who were afraid to lock up the rear tire. Probably heavy footed individuals. The rear brake plays an important function on the motorcycle. It allows 100% stopping power when used with the front brake. If you happen to lock up the rear wheel it is recommended to keep it locked until your at a full stop. If you don't there is a chance for a high side fall. A motorcycle is made to do one thing, that is to go straight. When the back wheel locks up on a road with uneven pavement (which is nearly all roads) the back end of the motorcycle will sway side to side. If you let go of the rear brake on a road with good traction and the motorcycle isn't perfectly lined up with the front it will snap back into place, it will not go back nicely but quickly and fierce and you will go off the high side. I have seen very large men get tossed from there rides when this happens. If you are on a road with not so good traction, like a dirt road, it will be easier to keep control if you let go of a rear wheel skid. Is it possible to let go of a rear brake during a rear wheel skid on a road with good traction? Yes it is, but I always say better safe then sorry.

So lets divide the stopping power here. 70% of the stopping power comes from the front wheel so 30% must come from the rear wheel. In order to use 100% stopping power you must use both brakes. As current riders we all know that 100% stopping power is not always needed for regular stops, you might not even need both brakes for regular stops. But its a good idea to create good habits. Use both brakes every time you stop so encase you need to stop quickly your mentally trained to automatically use both brakes. I cant emphasize this enough, you must practice quick stops on your bike. Find a open parking lot and practice, try to decrease your stopping distance each time you stop. Use some kind of marking that tells you when to apply your brakes, then take some distance behind it and take off, when your front tire hits the mark apply both brakes and come to a safe quick stop. Pay attention to your speed and stopping distance. Try to duplicate your speed each time you do a run and try to decrease your stopping distance. Start off slow then work your way up to higher speeds. Create a challenge with friends, who ever gets the longest distance has to pay for gas for the days ride.

What ever the case is, practice is the key. I have heard of so many cases where proper braking could of saved an accident and even lives. If we would all spend just a little time out of our ride to practice some basic skills that we may not use every time we ride, so if needed you will be prepared to use them. Next week we will discuss breaking in turns, I think i've typed enough already for today. There goes my post whoring.
tounge.gif

Keep the shiny side up

Dave (Coach)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip, RC! Braking is obviously very key to safe riding, so it's always good to remind people about it!

Great post once again, can hardly wait for next weeks corner braking class.

Hey ! If we follow each weeks "class" can we get an endorsement from you for MC Safety Training ? :-) JK

Thanks again !

Great safety article and reminder Dave ... we do appreciate your articles ... one can never stop learning how to ride safe.
Thanks!

Four Busa's Wow ... I guess he just gets up in the morning thinking "which one will I ride today" ... awesome!

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086106958 -->

Great post coach! Its amazing how its so easy to twist your wrist and make the bike go fast, but so many accidents are because people have problems trying to stop/slow the bike. Thanks again for all the info
smile.gif

Thanks for taking time away from your post whoring schedule:D to write these great posts!
You truly do us all a great service by writing them.
Your Friday post about travelers not knowing their way around prepared me to use extra caution while ridings this weekend. Please keep them coming!!!!!!
thumbs-up.gif

Another great post RC. Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Keep em coming.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Coach!! Great stuff. I heard the "never use rear brakes" from some seasoned track/twistie riders. I sort of see what they mean around corners but on straits and on corner approaches, rear works fine. I use downshifting as breaking much of the time too. Kind of interesting you mention habits... last time I had to lock them up [traffic freakiness] I instinctively pressed the rear also even though I never use it the rest of the time. I think I will practice more rear breaking.

Hey Coach, I can help with this "Ignore the rear brake" philosophy.  

I preach this a lot, especially to young/new riders on sport bikes.  WTF?  Why would I do such a thing?  Simple.  

There is a whole lot of myth surrounding the brakes on bikes just as you mentioned.  I think most of this comes from unskilled, un-"enlightened" cruiser folks who have never had any real training, then move to a sport bike or teach there kids how to ride.  I also think that it comes from so many of us learning to ride in the dirt where that rear brake provides a critical control input.  Might also have something to do with coaster brakes on our bicycles growing up, remember those? Whatever the cause, I try to get folks away from the rear completely, at least initially, I want it out of there minds as a potential input on a sport bike, ESPECIALLY WHEN A RIDER IS NEW!  

Here's my logic, so you can pick it apart.  In a panic/ SR rich environment the tools you use everyday, the habits you develop are what will determine your ability to survive/avoid the hazard or situation.  So if your constantly relying on your rear brake to provide some useful stopping power and you make it a habit of relying on your rear for even 30% of your total stopping ability, (Though most newbies rely on it much more than this) what is going to happen when your “reactions†kick in under high stress?  It’s dead simple and almost automatic on a sportbike, you are going to stomp that rear.  I know what it teaches in the books, I have read the MSF manuals and to put it simply I disagree with them in regards to modern sportbikes.  If we are talking large touring bikes or cruisers my opinion is a bit different. However, as we are talking sportbikes here I will continue.  

Modern sport bikes are front weight biased, this is a control benefit 99% of the time, keep that front planted, and weighted and the bike steers better and provides more feedback.  However due to this initial bias, under heavy braking the rear tire is seriously unloaded and it’s been my experience that under serious hard braking all the rear does is make a nice howling sound or come off the ground completely.  Even if your not locking your arms and you allow yourself to stay down on the bike, that rear is seriously light.  I have watched several people go down in direct response to a panic/hard braking situation soley because of their over use of the rear.  Now the rear does add some extra stopping power yes, but my contention is that under stressful situations, placing that foot on the rear brake is no longer done in a light controlled manner but in a hard snapping motion.  Then instead of simply braking and then perhaps managing to actually get off the brakes and swerve or continue to alter your direction of travel you are essentially a straight arrow with an out of control rear.  OK, well if we are traveling in a straight line applying maximum braking front and rear and the rear locks, steps out and this further spooks the rider, what happens next?  THEY JUMP OFF THE REAR like they stepped on the cats tail… Snappity snap  good chance they get launched into the lower stratosphere.  Say they had only locked the front, what about that?  Well that’s a comparatively “Soft†crash.  

I have watched too many young riders using the rear day-to-day, especially back in Colorado, but here as well.   We both got into a corner to hot, I stood the bike up a little and start squeezing that front.  Junior snaps that ankle down and hit’s the asphalt quickly, bike tumbling into the trees.   Ah, But say junior was using that front brake only, say that was where he had his experience wont he just end up locking the front in the same situation?  Maybe, I mean the tire is loadeded with cornering forces already, but then again if the SR’s are pinging and loss of front traction is already a concern this may prevent the new guy from mashing the fronts either, which is exactly what we want.  Keep off them brakes and lean that mutha…  chances of making it out the other side?  Pretty damned good…  of course there are all sorts of other variables, available traction, speed, “Testicular Fortitude†(Sorry Ladies) (Ovarian Determination) etc.  But by and large, I have seen the rear brake do far more damage than good.  The Busa isn’t as bad as the majority of true sportbikes out there.  It’s long enough that the rear doesn’t leave the ground much under heavy braking.  But I still advise ignoring it altogether.  Raider disagrees, But I still contend that under High stress situations the front will get it done and can easily provide 100% of your stopping power.  

I know the theory is that the rear provides 30% of your braking forces.  This may be true day to day, casually braking for a stoplight or corner entry, situations where your front  can provide all the braking you need anyway.  But when you are in a true survival situation, where your walking away truly depends on your skills with them brakes the rear gets so light, so fast, that your front is providing 100% of your real stopping power, if your relying on useful power from your rear…  your fooling yourself.

OK, In a parking lot while making a u-turn, the front can be a real pain in the ass and drop you right into the gravity well, while the rear will just provide a little whoa.  I also use the rear a lot at stopsigns/lights on hills, it’s my parking brake if you will.

Having said all of this, and personally ignoring my own rear 90% of time, it can prove useful in snugging up your “line†(if there really is such a thing on the streets) if your in a little to fast or got sluggish with your turn in, it can be useful but it’s not something for an inexperienced rider to worry about and truthfully 99% of time on the street it is just for keeping you in your comfort zone, not really out of necessity.  I find trail braking into a corner with the front to provide about the same results, assuming you can feel what that front end is up to and account for the bikes wanting to stand up with some extra counter steer…

So, ( In a Big Asses Nutshell) There in my opinion, is the case for staying the hell away from your rear on a Sportbike…

Now, can we talk about the MSF’s outdated Four fingers covering clutch and front brake?  Especially when we introduce a modern sport bike into the equation?  Try it, try cranking the busa to full wide open in first though third with four fingers on the clutch, and four covering the brake...  Kinda hard to stay on that bike...

My .02, nothing more.  
wink.gif

Take it for what it is worth, Coach don't get me wrong, I still chase every new rider I come across into the MSF...  Hell I've been there a few times.  Always good stuff...  I just get tired of getting yelled at for my finger positioning..
smile.gif

Thanks for your work here, helping to provide some real content on this board.  Good Stuff.

Rev

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086181538 -->

Rev, My Busa Brother. I see your point. But it all boils down to training, training, and training. If you train with the rear brake in quick stop scenarios, you will become efficient in it. And yes, it dramatically decreases your stopping distance in a real world panic stress stopping situation. A lot of experienced riders believe that the rear brake is obsolete. But statistically, most accidents are due in part to improper braking techniques by riders. I have taught many experienced rider courses where students have sport bikes of all kinds. If they previously took the Basic Riders Course they have no problem on the quick stops (using both brakes), but the majority of the time the riders with no previous training lock the rear wheel. So repetition gets them used to using both brakes in quick stop situations decreasing there stopping distance.

As far as the rest goes, to each there own. In my book there is a safe way and there is another way. I choose the safe way
tounge.gif

When it comes to covering the clutch in the class, we tell students to cover the clutch so they can easily kill power to the rear wheel. Its a training tool. But we "NEVER" tell our students to cover the brake during normal riding conditions. If some one told you that they should be fired. The only time you should ever cover your break is in a high risk situation that you are aware of, like a dangerous intersection. This decreases your reaction time, encase you need to brake quickly. When I ride my busa, out of training, I cover my clutch and have no problem taking off like a mad man. I never cover my brake. If you do use your brakes it should be four fingers on it. Very easy to tell why we do that. Just brake with two fingers and then do it with four fingers, you'll find out.
biggrin.gif

As mentioned before, I will discuss slowing and braking in the turn Monday. So tune in then.
biggrin.gif

PS. Most riders that do crash are inexperienced. When I was a LE (law enforcement) in the air force I saw my fair share of motorcycle accidents. Majority of the them were untrained (or trained by so called experienced riders). The main cause of most of the accidents was improper braking. I have seen more accidents where motorcyclists rammed into back of cars, buses, and even into the side of a train. The cause? Improper braking and sometimes with a little mix of excessive speed. Believe it or not, majority is sport bike riders, where the rear brake was never used.
wow.gif

Rev, thanks for the insight, I now understand why some people dont use there rear brake. I can now correct them properly in my class
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
Just kidding Rev.

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Coach, on this we will certainly have to agree to disagree...  but I still regularly and substantially outbrake 99% of the folks I ride with.  Wet or dry...  (Yay! ME!)   This is also why I prefer to still ride at the back of the pack... I know I am stopping... but what about them guys trailing???
  Yep Fort Collins Colorado, 1992 first MSF course...  Got yelled at all day for not using four fingers on the brakes...  and for not keeping it covered.  But again I disagree with you here as well...  Four fingers on the brakes...  Panic/emergency situation, pull them fingers in a hurry...  Four fingers just too damn much, two fingers adds what I believe to be a degree of safety, prevents to much initial braking force allowing the weight to transfer forward then an extra squeeze/ better modulation is possible.  I can bring the rear off the ground/ lock the front with two fingers...don't need more...  

Maybe you need to work on your hand strength and quite relying on that rear so much?
rock.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Thanks again for the riding tips threads Bro, seriously. I can argue all I want, but I still send young riders to the MSF to learn... I don't want to teach anyone. Everyone needs to find out what works best for them given riding style, bike, environment or motivation. The MSF provides the basics needed to keep yourself alive... Good Stuff...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086185202 -->

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Rev all I can say is training. I can stop the busa on a dime with the front brake. He who can endo and do a bad a*s stoppie has the braking techinque down. Hey Rev, maybe if you werent so hard headed in the MSF class you may have learned something new..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Rev all I can say is training. I can stop the busa on a dime with the front brake. He who can endo and do a bad a*s stoppie has the braking techinque down. Hey Rev, maybe if you werent so hard headed in the MSF class you may have learned something new..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
OH SH!T!!!  You went there on me!!!  I'm telling you, I go into any learning experiance with an open mind.  Why do you think I went back more than once?  OK OK yeah I was taking buddies in to really learn for the first time, but each time I learned something new...  Especially about how out of spec some of the training materials are.  Bikes and their abilities have come a long ways since the CB750...  Maybe you need to uh update? Catch up with the modern performance bike's design and abilities?  He He....  
smile.gif
 Might help your skills out a little...
wow.gif
war.gif

Oh I added some extra bits to my previous post as well...  

Later Bro...  and you know I love ya!  In a non-shaved, Non GI-Joe, Emu-Free sorta way.  
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and no badass stoppies here, but that ass will levitate...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

ices_rofl.gif
That's it Rev, we have to have a brake off. You bring your group I bring my group and we'll brake.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I love hearing every ones take on different things. Keeps me learning too. Thanks again bro for your input and keep bringing them to the class, I need a paycheck.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Great point Coach. I do take heed to your advice. Believe me! But, I still think these items are more valuable to this board if they are put in a Safety/Techniques forum all its own. This is very valuable information and would be much nicer in a place for easier reference. I've gone through online support and have asked the admins, but to no avail. Maybe if someone else asked, then it would be given consideration. It has been a suggestion of mine for at least a year now, but I haven't had a reply yet, sooooooo..... what else to do?

Brian

Back