Tire profile: height ratio front vs rear

sac98281

Registered
You know how the normal rider never gets to the edge of the front tire? Well this must be attributed to the front tires height to width ratio; 120/70.
However the rear tire's height to width ratio is much lower (50 to 55). To my understanding, the front will have a larger percentage of contact with the pavement in a tight corner because of the higher ratio.

My question: Is this a safety factor built in so that the rear tire will lose traction before the front? Because the majority of the time, a front slide is unrecoverable. Why do we have fat rear tires that don't match the profile of the front. Wouldn't a matching profile make the bike more stable?

Assuming all things remain equal: in order for the front tire to be in contact with the pavement, the front of the bike has to shift down and to the left OR the rear has to raise up and to the right in a left hand corner. Therefore, in a corner the bike is catiwompus.

tirecopy.jpg

??? My front tire tread is used to the edge MUCH faster than my rear tire.... Maybe I am doing something wrong but, I had chicken strips on the rear of my OEM tires, but all the way to the edge of the front tire.....

Back