what is the best type of guard dog?

If your own a budget and you want a guard dog just got find a mean as **** pit because god knows they aren't hard to find.....they have a bad rep and not many people will try and tangle up with one anyway

??? Unless you have kids and don't mind having a huge liability in your posession and mega insurance in the event that this "mean" dog gets out.

IMHO with my family in the dog and cat business for over 30 years, find a NICE German Shepherd who is fairly young, raise it with your family and give it plenty of public exposure. It won't be a huge liability for getting out and biting/killing a neighborhood kid, but will be protective of your hosuehold and family. Pit Bulls (American Staffordshire terriors) are REALLY nice dogs, but in most cases, even if they accidentally nip someone playing ball/fetch their bad reputation may put you in a bad lawsuit with little defense. The public opinion unfortunately is very poor on this breed--they DO NOT deserve this bad rep.

No dog will stop all intruders, as a gun stops anything walking and breathing. The mere presence of a large dog will deter dummies in your neighborhood from jumping your backyard fence. With plenty of "walks" around the block the youngsters prone to breaking into sheds and garages will see your pet and know which house it lives in.

BTW, earning your concealed carry permit and walking your dog with a hanggun in a holster on your hip helps as well! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A best guard dog would be one of those high $$ ones that comes from a "legit" trained kennel company and they mean business. There is a difference between having a big Pit, Rott, or shepard that lets you know somebody is around and one that will kill or be killed. I have a pretty big ripped and intimidating pit and he sucks as a guard dog, my neighbors growing up had shepards that were good guard dogs but nothing I would fear would kill me. Just don't get the breed of the dog mixed up and think just because its a so and so that it will be a good one. NOTHING beats those dogs that are "raised" for protection....they get whoever or go down trying. If your own a budget and you want a guard dog just got find a mean as **** pit because god knows they aren't hard to find.....they have a bad rep and not many people will try and tangle up with one anyway

we paid a good amount of money for ours, could trace his blood to several generations of military dogs....and police dogs.

people can say what they want, but my dog did things that we never trained him to do...was it learned behaviour passed on from his father,grandfather....etc.? I don't know.

but I would suggest you actually meet his father/mother...

Here's my 185lbs of security that is worth their weight in gold.

1st picture is Max, weighing in at 99.999 lbs (he's self-concious about the big 100.) :laugh:

2nd picture is our sprinter, Harley (talk about your oxymoronic names, eh?) followed by Max again.

Within this fenced area resides my garage, where my bikes are stored. If you have cajones big enough to walk into this yard, then you deserve the bikes.

maxx 095 (Medium).JPG

max and harley 2010 003 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Great Pyrenees

What a dog Boris has turned out to be! The breed is a protective by nature and is on point 24/7. They are completely submissive to people and aggressive to attackers. They are somewhat stubborn in that they are hard to gain their attention, when they are familiar with the person. When a strange bird flies over the house....he barks. 100 lbs and a huge growl...he's a good dog.

He is the only breed I have ever seen that is ok with being hugged? Kids can wrap around his neck and he has no problems.

Boris.jpg

boxer great with kids and very loyal to the owners and family not too big and still very playful

I love my Pitbulls!! They are what I would reccommend you get for a guard dog. With a little bit of training/work they are great guard dogs and even better family pets.

Old thread but what the hell..

Sharpei..Emperor's guard dogs in China..I have had 2 and they are an awesome, intelligent, dillignet, protective and wonderful dogs...

My other one is half Great Dane & half Bull Mastiff...weighing in at about 215 lbs...big lap dog..when I am home. My friends won't even stop by for a minute if I'm not:laugh:

I have owned 2 different Doberman dogs and they are the most loyal dog I have ever seen. I will always own a Doberman and treat it the best I can as long as I am alive. My wife has a ****zu, so we kind of balance each other out.

here is our american bulldog "Mossy". she is a great dog and we couldn't be happier with her. she is supper gentle with us and kids. she's not a big fan of strangers unless we tell her it's ok and we will hold her collar and walk her over to them so they can pet her. as soon as she see's we're ok with them all she wants to do is lay in their lap after that.LOL

here she was as a puppy.....
IMG_0062.jpg

and here she is now.....

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Get a pitbull put his blanket in the shed, feed him and let him sleep in there a couple of days he will think it's his shed noone will go in there.

Why has no one mentioned this yet? How about a guard platypus? Do you know what those lil sons o B's can do?? Sorry for such harsh letters. But just LOOK:

One minute its all fun and games with your new furry, fluffy, duck billed, beaver tailed, foot fanged (yes they have FANGS in their back FEET!) platypus, just sitting around, chillin, looking dumb:

Platypus.jpg

When all of a sudden, before the theif even knows whats about to happen. You're new cute cuddly friend turns into THIS:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSs4-WAo0Y5PruJKmfHxBwZzdCgd_1jtO73adVfYdGYhuoo-4yvNA.jpg

OOPS, I mean, THIS:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLUPGi9EhcHNpPsmn8y5rTPuE3INOlf9yqlrhIeqsIhbMo9pyrhQ.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnZoI90OoLixQk0Y2xeulnFTGZ235jeV1LonzhQE5Mj3cjmzRL.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRirJZmslDSanZRW1VdCaolAF7rJ4vrDOq54dKlC_h2R5tJDGlgeA.jpg

Food for thought brother.

Old thread but here is my input. A couple of these in the yard and forget about burglars..Hell leave them in the shed and you you won't have to find them the day the thieves come back :thumbsup:

wolf 2.jpg

wolf.jpg

Back