Dog Question for you dog lovers

I want to say thanks for the great info you guys gave me. I have convinced my wife to hold off awhile on a dog. Maybe by then i can get a bigger dog, because i didn't want a small dog. :thumbsup:

I had two miniature collies growing up...All I remember is they didn't like me too much. I had a golden retriever who was absolutely wonderful. Now I have two pits who are extremely stubborn but the most loyal dogs I've ever had. I love them to deatch. Never had a single problem with dog aggression or anything else. They get a bad rep because bad people get their hands on them. I was nervous when I first got Daisy (the brindle) but I now know the truth about pits. Great dogs!

Whatever your decision is...please be responsible with your pet...too many dogs don't get the treatment they deserve.

new camera 037.jpg

new camera 039.jpg

You can find many great dogs from rescue groups. If you want a very smart, very active, very loyal dog I would highly suggest a any of the Spaniels (make sure you get the health history). Shepards are also very good dogs. They are both great with families, and are very playful.

Of course, I biased. :whistle:

Low res phone pic:

Domino_Freyja.JPG

All these new hybrid breeds are just weird. You get less dog and more walking fur ball. Go with a breed that's been around a few centuries and can actually do something about something.

German Shepherds are the best!

Kraut10months0.jpg

i luv all the rotties i see here, i do have a cathula/rot mix and is very smart
b4df951757d84e0396292bc2de6139fe0_medium.jpg

King just had a piece of steak and looking for more....
c506c95af7888725896c2a7ca75e37f80_medium.jpg

In reference to the chihuahua and dachshund mix. My mother has one. Great dog with great characteristics. Granted he's not a big dog but he's a ton of fun. Great at finding moles and keeping squirrels out of the yard so I wouldn't say he's worthless :laugh:

Small dogs are worthless IMO (<15ish lbs). We have a Siberian Husky (Foxy) and a rather large Sheltie (Elvis), he's about 40 lbs, a little tank.

P

foxypillow.jpg

CIMG0655.jpg

CIMG0525.jpg

Cant go wrong with a blue pit though they can be hard to deal with if kept inside. Just gotta start em young.

Photo001.jpg

And for some that think pits are to aggressive this little joker wears his butt out every chance he gets!!

DSC_0014.jpg

I recently got a canaan a few months back! One of the best decisions I've made :thumbsup:
He is about 3-5 months in these pics. He will get to be about 50 lbs.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

M1.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners!

Most toy breeds are very protective of one person. It's not because they attach themselves to one person. They are carried around, allowed on laps all the time, ride on people laps in cars. In short, they attach to the person that empowers them to be in a dominant role. It's like having a spoiled child that's never been taught the meaning of the word "no".

Dogs are dogs! Not children. Treat them like a dog, and not a child. Train them, and set boundaries that the dog can NEVER be allowed to cross. This includes everyday activities with them. Every dog needs a pack leader. Even if it's just you and one dog. To a dog two or more is a pack. If you don't maintain the alpha position the dog will.

The right things to do:

Teach the dog come, sit, down, off, leave it, drop it, up, wait, stay, and okay as the basics.
Don't allow the dog to eat from any human plates, or food.
People (pack leaders) eat before the dogs.
Don't allow dogs to beg. Teach them to lay down away from the dinner table while you eat.
Make the "wait" when you put it's food down. The dog shouldn't be allow to eat until you give it a release word like "okay". The dog doesn't own the food. As the pack leader you are letting the dog share your food.
Only allow the dog on furniture that they can be on all of the time. Dogs don't generalize. A couch is not any couch. It's a very specific couch. If you change the couch the rules change with it.
Don't allow a dog to lay or sleep between a couple. If the dog is allowed to sleep closer to your woman than you are, it's like telling the dog that it is more important to the woman than you are!
Don't carry the toys breeds. They have legs and they know how to use them. Those little dogs can move pretty fast, and they have a lot of energy.
Don't "protect" the dog from the world. Have you ever seen a small dog that is always carried around? They shake like their going to explode if they are not being carried. They're not cold. They are having an anxiety attack, and are usually very anti-social to other dogs and people.
Exercise the dog everyday. Walk it for at least 20 minutes a day. You lead, not the dog. If the dog is walking with it's front legs forward of your knees it is leading you!
Crate train the dog. You will all be happier for it. It's a safe haven for the dog (it's den), and it will happily wait there in safety while you are away from home.

I have a good friend that has babied a Fox Terrier for the first year she had it. The dog started acting badly when my friend moved houses. The dog was peeing in every room in her new place. It was also marking everything it could lift a leg toward. She didn't think the dog could be trained to behave. We (me and the dog) spent a few hours breaking bad habits. She set the boundaries for her dog. She never waivers in what the dog is allowed to do. One month later the dog will sit, down, off, wait, fetch, drop it, and come. He's happier because he know she will be his pack leader. The dog doesn't snap at other people for sitting by her anymore, and he has quit marking everything in the house.

Dogs are like a 3 yr old child. You have to be consistent with the rules. The rules NEVER change for basic behaviors. I'm constantly after mine. They are always playful and happy to see me, even if I was only gone for five minutes. Mine are not allowed to roam my house when I'm not there. They have a room that I allow them in, and it has nothing that they could shred. Most dogs will get into things a few minutes after you leave because they are bored. They sleep the rest of the time you're gone, so by the time you get back they forgot what they did and punishing the dog does no good. When I get home I let them out in the yard to burn off the energy that they have been storing all day. They play hard for about 20 minutes to an hour. After that I eat dinner. They are fed after I eat. I play ball with them for at least 30 min.

My dogs aren't small (Springer Spaniel 54 lbs and Lab/Shepard Mix 65 lbs). I recently had them with me in a small house (my Grandma's 1000 sq ft 3/bdrm house). In three days they didn't so much as knock over one plant, and that place looks like an tropical resort.

K.I.S.S. Remember, you are in charge, no the dog. You and your wife need to be seen as leaders to the dog. The dog needs to know that people are not the followers. :rulez:

If you can follow that tidbit you, your wife, and the dog will be just fine. (It's in that order on purpose.)

:beerchug:

excellent advice! Sounds like the dog whisperer to me :thumbsup:

We have a pug/chiuaha (sp?) mix and I tell you that is the most stubborn dog I have ever seen! But he is so cool. He guards the house for us!! LOL! They are sweet dogs though. They can be a little loud, but then again what breed doesn't get loud at times.

There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners!

Most toy breeds are very protective of one person. It's not because they attach themselves to one person. They are carried around, allowed on laps all the time, ride on people laps in cars. In short, they attach to the person that empowers them to be in a dominant role. It's like having a spoiled child that's never been taught the meaning of the word "no".

Dogs are dogs! Not children. Treat them like a dog, and not a child. Train them, and set boundaries that the dog can NEVER be allowed to cross. This includes everyday activities with them. Every dog needs a pack leader. Even if it's just you and one dog. To a dog two or more is a pack. If you don't maintain the alpha position the dog will.

The right things to do:

Teach the dog come, sit, down, off, leave it, drop it, up, wait, stay, and okay as the basics.
Don't allow the dog to eat from any human plates, or food.
People (pack leaders) eat before the dogs.
Don't allow dogs to beg. Teach them to lay down away from the dinner table while you eat.
Make the "wait" when you put it's food down. The dog shouldn't be allow to eat until you give it a release word like "okay". The dog doesn't own the food. As the pack leader you are letting the dog share your food.
Only allow the dog on furniture that they can be on all of the time. Dogs don't generalize. A couch is not any couch. It's a very specific couch. If you change the couch the rules change with it.
Don't allow a dog to lay or sleep between a couple. If the dog is allowed to sleep closer to your woman than you are, it's like telling the dog that it is more important to the woman than you are!
Don't carry the toys breeds. They have legs and they know how to use them. Those little dogs can move pretty fast, and they have a lot of energy.
Don't "protect" the dog from the world. Have you ever seen a small dog that is always carried around? They shake like their going to explode if they are not being carried. They're not cold. They are having an anxiety attack, and are usually very anti-social to other dogs and people.
Exercise the dog everyday. Walk it for at least 20 minutes a day. You lead, not the dog. If the dog is walking with it's front legs forward of your knees it is leading you!
Crate train the dog. You will all be happier for it. It's a safe haven for the dog (it's den), and it will happily wait there in safety while you are away from home.

I have a good friend that has babied a Fox Terrier for the first year she had it. The dog started acting badly when my friend moved houses. The dog was peeing in every room in her new place. It was also marking everything it could lift a leg toward. She didn't think the dog could be trained to behave. We (me and the dog) spent a few hours breaking bad habits. She set the boundaries for her dog. She never waivers in what the dog is allowed to do. One month later the dog will sit, down, off, wait, fetch, drop it, and come. He's happier because he know she will be his pack leader. The dog doesn't snap at other people for sitting by her anymore, and he has quit marking everything in the house.

Dogs are like a 3 yr old child. You have to be consistent with the rules. The rules NEVER change for basic behaviors. I'm constantly after mine. They are always playful and happy to see me, even if I was only gone for five minutes. Mine are not allowed to roam my house when I'm not there. They have a room that I allow them in, and it has nothing that they could shred. Most dogs will get into things a few minutes after you leave because they are bored. They sleep the rest of the time you're gone, so by the time you get back they forgot what they did and punishing the dog does no good. When I get home I let them out in the yard to burn off the energy that they have been storing all day. They play hard for about 20 minutes to an hour. After that I eat dinner. They are fed after I eat. I play ball with them for at least 30 min.

My dogs aren't small (Springer Spaniel 54 lbs and Lab/Shepard Mix 65 lbs). I recently had them with me in a small house (my Grandma's 1000 sq ft 3/bdrm house). In three days they didn't so much as knock over one plant, and that place looks like an tropical resort.

K.I.S.S. Remember, you are in charge, no the dog. You and your wife need to be seen as leaders to the dog. The dog needs to know that people are not the followers. :rulez:

If you can follow that tidbit you, your wife, and the dog will be just fine. (It's in that order on purpose.)

:beerchug:

How much do you cost by the hour? You need to come to my house and help me set the order back straight...

we have 4 med-large dogs including one English Bulldog... we USED to be the leaders of the pack.. then after Hurricane Katrina we had to make them inside dogs because the fence was destroyed .. now it's like they run the house and they just let us sleep there at night.... aaarrgghhh!!

Do Not Get a Pug or Pugs... They will run your life, not ruin, run... Mind control games, vindictive little creatures that get in your brain and make you hurt... ahhhhewwwooohhh, damb... I got two...

Pugs aren't bad dogs either. They fall into a similar group as Beagles. They are very high maintenance, not that my Springer is any less. Don't get one unless you're willing to invest most of your day to them. They need a job to be content.

Back