Recommended dog breeds

I have 2 Boxers now and they are great dogs... about the perfect size and great with the kids. They are big enough to defend the house and not eat you out of it...:laugh: Very playful and loyal... I had Dobermans before my Boxers and they also are great dogs...just bigger.

0828001922.jpg

I have 2 Boxers now and they are great dogs... about the perfect size and great with the kids. They are big enough to defend the house and not eat you out of it...:laugh: Very playful and loyal... I had Dobermans before my Boxers and they also are great dogs...just bigger.

One of the adds on petfinder that I emailed about is a boxer. I like the breed and this is definetely one of the top choices.:thumbsup:

I love my German Shedder, opps, I mean Shepherd. I can put up with the fur as long as my Hoover keeps working. German Shepherds are great with kids too. Mine is gentle as a lamb!

i have a dane and my wife has a min pin. both have been great with my kid, the dane just used to forget how big she is when she was a puppy and knock my son over a couple times. just happens, just like a growing teenager, clumsy.

Went to an xmas party last Friday that Lycan invited me to and they had a Coton De Tulear. What a great freakin dog! I want one for my family now. I know it is small but I think it would be a good fit.
moz-screenshot.png

One of the adds on petfinder that I emailed about is a boxer. I like the breed and this is definetely one of the top choices.:thumbsup:[/QUOT

I have had some great dogs in my lifetime. The first dog I adopted from a shelter was Duke the doberman. What a great dog he was, smart as heck and GREAT with kids. He loved everyone. We lost him to a heart condition 5 years ago. Mary and I were hurt beyond words when we lost him, and didn't get another dog for quite awhile after his death. We both felt we couldn't get another dog that would compare ever. Boy was I wrong. We ended up adopting a dog from the shelter that had been there for a year and a half, was missing one of his canine teeth, and was very overweight. The volunteer told us he had been to more than 50 adoption events, and no one wanted him. You couldn't ask for a better companion. Whatever breed you get, I hope you get one from a shelter or adoption agency. Pepper even helps me work on the busa!:laugh:

busa maint 028.jpg

He's the only dog i personally know of i'd never worry about biting anyone or anything,just doesn't have it in him.

On the other hand,on the news last week there was a Dane that snatched up a 6 mo. old baby right out of a mother's arms/carried it a 100 yards in it's mouth/mauled it/then dropped it and ran back home(not sure of the extent of injuries but had to be airlifted to a hospital).I've probably had a dozen dogs in my 57 years(including a Dane and 3 Pits)and my "Boy" is by far the most easygoing of them all.:thumbsup:

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Dont get me wrong i like pits as well. I think most dogs are what you make em to be. Just some are more disposed then others to snap. I think if you search dog attacks you wont find very many danes on the list but i garrantee you find a ton of pits. Which is unfortunate. I was just warning you what would happen if all hell broke loose. I have had a few pits without any troubles at all and yes they were very gentle. The one male i had from rescue was awesome till an officer showed at my house to take a theft report. The pit went nuts. Absolutly crazy i couldnt calm him down. This was a first for him in the 3 years i had him.

ps. heres the article if anyone is interested on the dane attack. funny i read like 10 different articles on this and they all tried to out do each other and all made it sound like it was a ferocious attack. Some more then others.
http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2010/12/great-dane-attacks-infant.html

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong i like pits as well. I think most dogs are what you make em to be. Just some are more disposed then others to snap. I think if you search dog attacks you wont find very many danes on the list but i garrantee you find a ton of pits. Which is unfortunate. I was just warning you what would happen if all hell broke loose. I have had a few pits without any troubles at all and yes they were very gentle. The one male i had from rescue was awesome till an officer showed at my house to take a theft report. The pit went nuts. Absolutly crazy i couldnt calm him down. This was a first for him in the 3 years i had him.

ps. heres the article if anyone is interested on the dane attack. funny i read like 10 different articles on this and they all tried to out do each other and all made it sound like it was a ferocious attack. Some more then others.
Great Dane attacks infant - Crime Scene

I know where you're coming from bro,the media loves a good "pit" attack.Truth be known to the general public,many of those are/were of a pit mix if not even involving a pit at all but they hate printing retractions.Pits make terrible guard dogs as it's in their nature to be people friendly(hell,mine would hold the door open for anybody wanting to clean me out:laugh:),they were never bred to be human aggressive as a handler wouldn't want to be attacked while removing his dog from a fight.Other than these idiot gang bangers purposely trying to make their dogs human aggressive there would be no problem with this breed.In my experience,Shepherds/Rotties/Dobermans,etc. are way more human aggressive than Pits,just not as popular anymore in numbers as they were in the '80's and '90's so they're not in the news as often.Every time i look at my dog and then think of how Vick strangled,drowned,and electrocuted some of his dogs(what a man,had to look tough in front of his POS friends)because they didn't perform to his expectations,i see red.Not that i'll likely ever get the chance,but should he ever be walking in front of my car i'd "accidently" run the SOB over,then back up over him to see what it was i ran over.

Get an Australian Cattle Dog! They are incredibly smart, good with kids, hardy, loyal, and wary of strangers. They make a great working dog, family dog and guard dog. They rarely bark, too, so you won't have a yapping mutt that will annoy your neighbours.

Overall, though, I think you should rescue a dog from your local shelter.

i second that...
mines a mix, (with a husky), but i got the intelligence from the aussie side...:thumbsup:
couldn't ask for a better mutt!
p.s.- she was a rescue as well- shoulda gotten the whole litter!

Galadriel.jpg

Last edited:
Grew up with a pair of Australian cow dogs, Scrap & Blue. These dogs are just awesome, extremely smart (makes for easy training), loyal & protective.

We also had labs and a bullmastiff. The mastiff had to go when my baby sister was born, he got randomly aggressive for some reason so we found a friend how now takes care of him.

Now my grandparents always had pugs, they are cool little dogs. I bought my wife a black pug for her wedding present and she is absolutely a blast to have around. She is VERY well mannered with kids, anything from newborns to my now 3 1/2 yr old sister have not phased her.

She takes a beating from the little ones wanting to dress her up and carry her in awkward positions and all she does it sit and smile.

IMG_6114.jpg

Tully pictures by lazurous821 - Photobucket

Love my Dobes! My kids are 11 and 6 and you couldn't ask for better companions. I think this is a subject that if you ask 100 different dog owners, you'll get 100 different answers. Just be sure to research the breed you get and make sure it fits YOUR family's lifestyle. Good luck.

Imported Photos 00019.jpg

Imported Photos 00022.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very partial to Golden retrievers.

Evaluate the size you want and what level of interaction you and your family will have with the animal. Think about taking in a sheltered dog that fits with you and your family.

Back