what is the best type of guard dog?

I have a deaf and mute west highland terrier jack russel mix... Trained him completely on hand signals. Most obedient dog I've had, but not a guard dog by any means... He loves everyone... Would probably try to play with a burglar... :laugh:

I have a boxer/bulldog mix. He is a great guard dog. Barks like a crazy when someone comes in the yard, but he would never hurt anyone. It's always a good time watching the gas meter guy poop himself when the dog flips out because someone is in the yard and not petting or playing with him.

'busa 4.jpg

My Chow Chow does a great job guarding my house!

She does shed but very easy to clean after. She leaves balls of hair that I can just pick off the floor.

asia.jpg

I had a Rott (he passed away from age) loved him!!! He was the best dog I've every had and I had a few...His name was LAW because he laid it down :laugh:

Gotta go with the Rotti. Heres Mojo, a resue rotti, a true lover and guard dog.

7618_1220889366170_1347019841_620802_3931645_n.jpg

7618_1220888726154_1347019841_620787_3102507_n.jpg

i have 2 very mean looking rotts....both would tackle and lick u to death:laugh: but if they bark ud think twice..

If I had to do it all over again ( German Sheppards )

I have 4 dogs, None of which are guard dogs so to speak but there is no way in hell anyone is coming into my yard or house without enough noise being made to let me know and there is one of them I wouldnt put it past to attack one that happened Im sure all 4 would get in on it. ( Pack mantality ) 2 were strays,

german sheppard....

there are lots of big, scrary dogs.....but German Sheppard have been bred to perform specific tasks, its in thier nature. My dog was "on duty" from bedtime to morning, he would sit and watch the front door as we slept....he even made rounds thru the house.

in the summer we would leave the doors open at night due to the heat, and my dog would stand guard all night.

so you want an attack dog that will be left outside to guard the outside of your home and the shed? Maybe you should add a better lock to the shed and some autospot lights as a first step. An alert dog that will bark enough for you to take action vs a dog that will attack/defend the property could also be a good choice. I would rather be the one to respond to something happening on my property than an animal. They're not as good at determining the proper amount of neccesary action. You wouldn't want some child enter your yard and be attacked for it. If the guard/attack dog is going to live inside your home at night than he can't protect your shed anymore than a regular barking dog.

so you want an attack dog that will be left outside to guard the outside of your home and the shed? Maybe you should add a better lock to the shed and some autospot lights as a first step. An alert dog that will bark enough for you to take action vs a dog that will attack/defend the property could also be a good choice. I would rather be the one to respond to something happening on my property than an animal. They're not as good at determining the proper amount of neccesary action. You wouldn't want some child enter your yard and be attacked for it. If the guard/attack dog is going to live inside your home at night than he can't protect your shed anymore than a regular barking dog.

If a child climbs my fence to gain entrance to my house, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he's up to no good. And when I say child, I mean 15-18 yrs old. Obviously we don't want little Timmy getting bitten, but then again, at the age of 3 I knew enough to stay away from the big bad barky things behind the fence. :whistle:

a properly trained guard dog brings lots to the table.....

one of the often overlooked parts is he gives you back-up....

99% of the time, when you hear noise in the middle of the night you are going to be alone...and while you may be carrying a gun, you may walk into a situation where you are facing multiple intruders.

so at 2am, would you rather have a 50lb barking machine.....or a 110lb german sheppard protecting your 6.

just add an inner perimeter of cattle fencing. :laugh: Let me tell you it only takes one zap for you to stay clear of one of those.

I agree that depending on your situation and needs a well trained guard dog may be the answer your answer. You really have to weigh everything out. I've got a fenced yard with a shed. I don't keep anything of real value to me in the shed and it's got a pad lock. The flood lights are on sensors. There's signs advertising the house alarm. My alarm system is always activated at night and when I'm out. There's a dog and my beware of aligator sign as well. I also make sure anything and everything of value to me is recorded on my insurance policy. For me this is enough of an advertised deterent for most vandals and petty burglers. If a platoon of terrotists raid my home I'm sure they'll get whatever they're after. :laugh:

I'm looking for a guard dog for my house and yard, I was thinking about a german shepherd or akita but don't know if I want to deal all the shedding.does anyone else on here own a guardian breed?

what would you recommend?

Doberman! Great obediant gaurd dogs :thumbsup:

A best guard dog would be one of those high $$ ones that comes from a "legit" trained kennel company and they mean business. There is a difference between having a big Pit, Rott, or shepard that lets you know somebody is around and one that will kill or be killed. I have a pretty big ripped and intimidating pit and he sucks as a guard dog, my neighbors growing up had shepards that were good guard dogs but nothing I would fear would kill me. Just don't get the breed of the dog mixed up and think just because its a so and so that it will be a good one. NOTHING beats those dogs that are "raised" for protection....they get whoever or go down trying. If your own a budget and you want a guard dog just got find a mean as **** pit because god knows they aren't hard to find.....they have a bad rep and not many people will try and tangle up with one anyway

Last edited:
My German Shepherd was by far the most intelligent. He could twist door knobs and open doors. He could open the garage door by hitting the button on the wall. Do all the standard tricks, etc. He passed from a brain tumor. Very intimidating and GREAT with kids. Didn't like dark skinned friends though.

My Australian/Collie isn't as intelligent as the GS, but smart enough to stay out of trouble. Bad with kids/old folks. But obviously all dogs are different. Also very intimidating and a good guard dog. The UPS driver won't even pull into the driveway...:whistle:

Back