what is the best type of guard dog?

1deep

Registered
I'm looking for a guard dog for my house and yard, I was thinking about a german shepherd or akita but don't know if I want to deal all the shedding.does anyone else on here own a guardian breed?

what would you recommend?

German Sheppherds are awesome guard dogs, I have two (both rescue dogs.) They can be short hair or long, I have both. Please adopt one from a shelter, there are too many poor dogs that die every day because nobody wants them.

They are also very obediant, good with kids and extremely protective.

Doberman's have short hair so I would think the shedding would be better. Do you actually need a trained guard dog or the image of a guard dog breed. I have a Pitbull but she's not much of a guard dog. She loves people.

We have a Rottie and a Pit. If your invited they are nothing but lap dogs. If you come uninvited?? Lets just say you will be greeted!!

German Sheppherds are awesome guard dogs, I have two (both rescue dogs.) They can be short hair or long, I have both. Please adopt one from a shelter, there are too many poor dogs that die every day because nobody wants them.

They are also very obediant, good with kids and extremely protective.

I will be definitely be rescuing my next dog.

Doberman's have short hair so I would think the shedding would be better. Do you actually need a trained guard dog or the image of a guard dog breed. I have a Pitbull but she's not much of a guard dog. She loves people.

I want a dog that is going to protect my home and yard, I had my tool shed broken into twice in the past 6 months.

DSC09379.jpg

I have rescued Pit Bull and my wife has a Bull Terrier. They are both lap dogs, but no one or thing will get into the house unless there invited. Don't be afraid of a rescued Pit Bull. They are great pets and are great with kids. :thumbsup:

my english mastiff pup (18 mos.) is a great family/watch dog with a deep bark and very alert.

20100408_04.jpg

I'm looking for a guard dog for my house and yard, I was thinking about a german shepherd or akita but don't know if I want to deal all the shedding.does anyone else on here own a guardian breed?

what would you recommend?

AN obedient one.

Rotty Lab mixes make a perfect guard dog/family dog!

my english mastiff pup (18 mos.) is a great family/watch dog with a deep bark and very alert.

I like the bullmastiffs better they don't get quite as big as the english mastiff.

I'm not too sure about owning a dog that weighs more than me. :laugh:

We just adopted a American bulldog from the pound and he is a awesome dog so far.

I want a dog that is going to protect my home and yard, I had my tool shed broken into twice in the past 6 months.

My Pit definitely warns me if anything even looks at my house. Nobody has ever come in uninvited, but until I let someone in she is pretty scary. And the squirrels don't even touch the grass in my backyard. Sometimes it takes her a few minutes to get used to a new person in the house. I feel pretty confident that when I leave my house nobody will make it inside. Lord help them if they do. I just bought new couches and if they get messed up the dog will be the least of their worries:laugh:

German Shepards, no doubt about it. I have two, Jack and Jill. They are very faithful , obedient, very smart, great guard dogs, much better than a security system, have a nice low mean bark.
Get a full blooded pure bread. I paid $400 dollars each for both of my dogs. Better than any security system out there.:thumbsup:

Back