Any Akita Owners Here???

1deep

Registered
Just thinking about buying an Akita and liked to see if any owners are on here who can give pointers and advice about the breed. I know alot of the history, but know few owners who have experience with these dogs as they seem to be somewhat abscure. Looking for a pet, guard, campanion, & all around house dog.

Never had one but did have a friend that owned one. He loved that dog (monster of an akita!!), standing on it's hind legs it was the size of an average adult and had a tongue that could drench you in 2.3 seconds! :laugh: Lots of dog....LOTS of hair......get a pet hair vacuum. :thumbsup:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/akita/

Last edited:
Just thinking about buying an Akita and liked to see if any owners are on here who can give pointers and advice about the breed. I know alot of the history, but know few owners who have experience with these dogs as they seem to be somewhat abscure. Looking for a pet, guard, campanion, & all around house dog.

I have Sibe's and have always loved the look of an Akita. If they are in any way similar to the Siberian, then I say watch out for the house dog part of the breed. My Sibe's are WAAY to active for the house and they are escape artist in fur. Love them to death and they have great personalities, but they are a handful.
I am sure some one has an Akita and will pipe in soon.
Good luck!
Bubba

Never had one but did have a friend that owned one. He loved that dog (monster of an akita!!), standing on it's hind legs it was the size of an average adult and had a tongue that could drench you in 2.3 seconds! :laugh: Lots of dog....LOTS of hair......get a pet hair vacuum. :thumbsup:

American Kennel Club - Akita

From I what hear they only shed twice a year for a couple of weeks.

Had a roomate yrs ago that had an Akita. Beautiful dog but she was very protective toward him and did not like cats at all. I guess thats normal for dogs but his would actively seek them and rip em apart literally.
Dogs name was "Bowzer"

and yes she shed constantly. I live in SoFla and that prolly just made her shed constantly cuz her body was constantly hot. In a cooler climate I cant say.
Strange though how her hair was almost impossible to vacuum up ? Like each one had spikes on it that made them stick to everything.
Ive had other dogs where the hair came right up and right off but not "Bowzers" ?

Took some shots just now to show you.

As you can see, he is molting right now and you could stuff a pillow with his fur over the next few days.
BTW this thread is now protected from the pic police, so don't even go there, peeps.

Did I mention he can lick you from across the room!:laugh:

Meet Dakota

Bubba

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

Bubba that is exactly what my roomie used to deal with all the time.
You can just pluck those clumps off him and stuff a pillow like you say.
Also in the 2nd pic he doesnt look like he wants to lick anything !
Yikes...boys and girls please keep your hands inside the ride...:laugh:

bubba is your husky a indoor/outdoor dog?

Outdoor only!
Sometimes when we are at our cabin in the mountains and they are weary from a nice long walk, we will let them in and if they are tired and want to sleep, its okay. But they usually don't last too long before it becomes a playhouse and they have to go back out.
Love these dogs, though! :thumbsup:
Bubba

OGreat pics Bubba. Siberians are the best. . . I miss my joy of molting joy, Sulako every day: -( RIP
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had two, male and female. Good dogs, not great dogs. Mind of their own, very protective of property and don't live long enough. Molt ALL the time - gobs of hair! My male got BIG and kind of nasty - ate the neighbours spaniel. I wouldn't get another, I had medical issues with both and they are very expensive to purchase. There are much better dogs out there.

well I have had 2 as well. The biggest thing is to start training them young. My male was cert. by St.Johns abul. and we went into old age homes\hospitals with him. They dont shed but "blow" their coat twice a year. It can be a pain but its only twice a year. The female we had we didnt spend as much time training and she would not attack other dogs but if they attacked her then she would not shy away. They do need a lot of walks\play and a big yard.Both lived to be 12+ which is good for a dog that is over 130lbs. No health problems leading up to passing (a couple fights with porq's). All in all a great dog. VERY loyal to their owner. Mine did this low Growl when they get happy (sounds like a bear) and with their tails tucked so tight no one could ever seem them waggin. Everyone that didnt know them thought they were getting into attack mode. I used to be able to "growl" back at them and they would keep going on and on..just love to see me come home. Cant go wrong with an Akita..strap a harness on them and they can pull a cart too or side bags.

story of an akita from jap.
http://www.natural-akita.com/JPTeez/html/hachiko.html

Last edited:

We had Akitas growing up when I was a kid and I can tell you that they shed all year long but loose their undercoat twice a year. They need daily brushing and I think monthly baths. My mom owned her own grooming shop so it was no big deal for us to groom them but they take a lot more work than some other dogs. Great companions and very protective.

When I was 15 or 16 I let a plumber in to fix our garbage disposal and for whatever reason our Akita did not like him. She first picked up one of his tools and took it outside the back door. The plumber didn't get the hint so she grabbed a hold of his tool belt and dragged him out the door next. I had to lock her up before he would come back in. :laugh:

Back