What age were you when you started riding? Who was the oldest when you started?

I rode my neighbors HD when I was 13. My wife took up riding at 57 years old.:thumbsup:

Started at 9 in 1968 on a Briggs and stratton mini bike SL100 at 13 Yamaha 360 RT3 at 17 First street bike at 18 Triumph 650 then a Norton 1975 850 at 21 that I still have then the list starts on and on Now a Busa , BMW GSA and a CR500

Last edited:
When I was around 10 or 11 I started on a Z50 and also had some time on a 70 Trail and then an XL125. That was 35 years and many bikes ago.....

My first motorcycle was a 1955 Mustang. I got it in 1957 when I was 13.

At the present time, I have an 08 Busa, Harley Sportster, Kawasaki KLX 250S and a Suzuki RM 400 MX bike.

Mustang motorcycle.gif

My first motorcycle was a 1955 Mustang. I got it in 1957 when I was 13.

At the present time, I have an 08 Busa, Harley Sportster, Kawasaki KLX 250S and a Suzuki RM 400 MX bike.

Wow, I used to look at Mustangs and think they were the most beautiful thing in the world! (says alot about my early dating)

got my first bike at 18, ragged out 97 gsxr 600 learned to ride it and rebuilt it sold it when i had the kiddo. wasnt making any money then and kids are spensive. it was original yellow and black i redid it in yellow and silver. loved that bike

I rode my neighbors HD when I was 13. My wife took up riding at 57 years old.:thumbsup:

Dang! I lost. To a girl. :cry:

Some interesting stories here. I wish I started much earlier, but... It was a different country, there would be no money. But the main thing is that I was never into bikes. Even being in US for a number of years I always looked at all the bikes as something completely foreign to me. There was no attraction what so ever. Until one day... I received a phone call from.. PAL - Police Activity Leage, or something like that.

They were asking to sign up for a couple of magazines so that a portion of proceeds would go to help kids, blah-blah-blah. The mentioning of kids did me in. So, I asked what magazines do you have, and the guy on the phone started telling me. Of all the magazines he mentioned, and knowing nothing about bikes, I picked Motorcyclist and Sport Rider. I still have no idea why. Was it the curiosity or something else, I don't know. That was in Spring of 2000. I had been reading the magazines all summer, and by Fall of the same year I came to realization that I wanted to ride. Took lessons with riding school on Honda Rebel - that thing was fast at 30 mph. Later got a used Katana 600, and the rest is history.

An interesting thing is that Busas were already on the market, and I knew that one day I would get one. But at that time, the thought of getting one for the first bike didn't even entery my mind. I guess I knew myself better.

Now... if only I could tell this story to the cops when they pull me over, that it was their fault they got me into bikes, and maybe they would feel guilty and let me go. :lol:

12 for me on dirt bikes. First street bike was a bandit 1200 in 2001 at age if 26, then ninja ZX7, now busa 1340 soon to be 1441.

I had a Sears Allstate 105 when I was 7 but it didn't run most of the time. My first real bike was a Honda 160 (?) when I was 12...

Started before my feet reached the pegs, Dad let me work the throttle first, then the front brake and clutch. He had to do the shifting until my legs reached (1965)... man that makes me feel old...
I remember thinking the year 2000 was so far off it seemed an impossibility and forty was real old. :whistle:

Around 6 or 7 my brother had a mini bike. All I can remember was it was green and had a picture of a globe on it? I rode it some.

About 2 years later I got Kawasaki KD 80 rode it a few years til my Dad got tired of fixing all my screw ups then I went to off road go carts until I was a senior in High Shcool. The best one we had, my Dad made them all, had a Kawasaki snowmobile engine, electric start, roll cage (thank goodness), lights on the cage....it was alot of fun. I wish I could find the pics of some of my runs in that thing.

Got me one of them Hayabusa's about 4 summers ago. I am 40 now.

Go Mary!!

I started right around my 39th birthday - and it was part of a mid-life crisis for me. I have one every 3 years or so and I find the cure is to just get another bike. Looks like it's bike shopping time....

Back