WHEN WILL YOU START WEARING THE LEATHERS?

Almost all of my rides have a purpose (riding to events, the store, dinner, class, work) and showing up at those places with leather pants is not feasible.  What do you similarly situated people do?  I wear good gloves, Vanson or Tekinc leather jacket, and helmet, but I won't show up at these places looking like a racer.  It just isn't appropriate.  Any ideas on the pants?
There are a number of manufacters who make riding pants other than the racer style. You can get the codura/textile style that fit like pants or you can get an over suit that fits over your regular clothes, or you can get "draggin jeans" looks like regular jeans but have kevlar beneath them to protect the vital parts of your hiney, etc.

I do not believe any one set of gear will meet everyone's needs or fit every occassion. I've got joe rocket's mesh ssuit that i wear on long summer trips as well as a set of riding gloves and boots.. I feel better wrapped from head to toe. But am more likely to throw on some jeans and the mesh jacket in the simmer for round the block trips/local riding.

I'm gonna get a set of leathers for more aggressive riding, just haven't decided weather to get the perf kind or not.

Bottom line is riding a bike is dangerous, there are certain things we can do to prepare for an accident and reduce the damage resulting from an accident, but motorcycling is not a SAFE sport. Safe being defined as the absence of any danger.

Bottom line you pays your money and you takes your chances. Me --I use the birth control method most of the time -I wrap it up!

By the way maybe its because I watch the board I seem to be aware of more accidents happening this year than in the past. Just had a rider get hit by a SUV down the street from me yesterday..

Yeeeeeep I'll be getting a set of leathers over winter
:bounce:

Almost all of my rides have a purpose (riding to events, the store, dinner, class, work) and showing up at those places with leather pants is not feasible.  What do you similarly situated people do?  I wear good gloves, Vanson or Tekinc leather jacket, and helmet, but I won't show up at these places looking like a racer.  It just isn't appropriate.  Any ideas on the pants?
Yessir!  The answer could be Joe Rockets Phoenix pants, OR something I have heard nothing but good things about, the Roadcrafter 1 piece suit from Aerostitch.  It's designed to go over your street clothes, is easy on and off, and is good for all climates.  Accept for maybe the hottest summer days...

Ideally we would all be wearing 1 piece custom leathers, Helmets From Arai, Shoei, or maybe Soumy.  We would have racing boots and gloves and we would wear them every time.  Anything less than what I mentioned above is sorta like only using a lap belt.  It might save your life, but it is going to hurt.
 The problem is that one piece leathers are good for one thing, riding a motorcycle. That’s it,  no good for the Mall, No good for work, the Clubs etc...So we have to find a compromise based on our lifestyles and planned activities.

For example, If I know I am going to be in the Canyons all day playing, or if I am traveling somewhere, full leathers and all the rest would be the perfect answer.  But what do I do when I am just heading across town to go to the local biker hang out and BS for awhile.  Do I get all the gear on, or do I compromise based on my planned activities?  I dunno about you but sitting around on a summer evening in full leathers doesn't sound like too much fun.  So, even if we own the gear we may not use it all the time.  The key I think is to find the right balance based on planned activities VS safety.  You should absolutely be in leathers if your out in your stomping grounds, high speed, etc.  (Think NICKSLICK Here) But in town, you might be able to get away with textile jackets and maybe some reinforced jeans, ICON, and Draggin jeans come to mind.  Besides, leather or not isn't going to help too much if you get tagged by a Buick, it then comes down to armor and the rest of your gear.  

At a minimum though regardless of planned activities, there should be a Helmet, gloves, jeans and protective footwear. No excuse not to wear this Minimum.  
  If it's too hot to wear the proper gear it is too hot to ride, simple and true.  Cloud9 mentioned heat stroke, a serious freakin concern out there in the hot air.  Full leathers or Butt Naked, it can be pretty hot, so remember that all of us here have alternate forms of transportation, USE THEM, let the other poor bastard sweat his ass off in traffic.  When it is that hot out don't ride, works the same as the cold.  Everyone here has no problems saying it's just too cold to ride, same should apply for heat, sometimes, it is just TOO HOT to ride.  So instead of squidding up the scenery with the cheesy ass helmet and shorts look, leave your baby in the garage.  Remember we ride because it is fun, not because we have too and a lot of the excuses not to gear up kinda fade away...

Man My soap box has a freakin Lazee Boy and mic on it now.... and it looks like someone left me a note...Hmm, It reads  "Hey Rev, shut the F*^k up you long winded bastid."  

Not exactly constructive, but point taken....    :crazy:

I agree that the 2nd photo is a better view of the suit. To be honest, it's a better VIEW! (nice orange and yellow bike over there) :)
In here (Portugal) we have to wear helmet all the time and believe me, in Summer it's really hot. For example, in Germany you have to wear gear all the time. You are not alowed to drive a bike without all safety equipment (at least i was told so).

First of all let me say, "Hello"!

I don't have a busa (yet) but I've been following this forum for abit because I expect to soon (although the 2004 colors didn't help much).

Anyway ... this topic interests me so here goes my first post.

I live in Western MD ... in the mountains ... I had ice on my car this morning so it's a short riding season for warm weather only bikers.

Now instead of feeling sorry for me {;-) I'd appreciate some opinions on cold weather gear.

I have no "real" riding gear ... normally I just jump in some long johns and generally try to layer up.

I'd rather have some kinda gear that I could jump into and out of like a snow suit ... that way I could ride to work, ditch the outer suit and still be dressed well for work.

I've been looking around for sometime and have almost concluded that I better find a local bike shop where I can try on some diff appearal.

I have no idea what to get but it'd be great to have something that I could dual purpose in the summer ... maybe something with a removeable linings.

Whatever I get I'm gonna need to make sure I pick right the first time cause it all seems so expensive!

I dunno ... what say you?

<edit>Whoops ... I didn't mean to forget to mention that I'm also concerned about protection as well ... I just "expected" that whatever gear I get will be better than jeans!</edit>

Welcome to the board M12...One thing I have heard a few times is Snowmobile gear for the real cold stuff. But otherwise, layers, and windproofing are your main worries. Keep the wind out you win most of the battle.

busagod said something about cyclegear.com having leathers on sale. How do people feel about those and are there any other sites with leathers on sale? It's the end of the riding season for most people so things should go down in price. Any other ideas? I'm in need of the whole get up from boots and gloves to leathers. All I have right now is a JR summer jacket, a good helmet, and some deerskin gloves. I don't know where to start but need to soon. Any ideas would be great?

-Pimpbike

I wear a 'stitch 99% of my street riding. The other 1% is a leather or textile jacket and jeans(with full gear of helmet, gloves and boots). Hey, I teach MSF and I do know the risks, but I will never preach down to anyone who does wear a jacket, gloves, boots, helmet and jeans. Reality is reality. I have crashed in jeans and full leathers. Yes leathers are better. But jeans with full gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, bots) are still far better than SHORTs (amazes me when I see this, ouch that hurts) tank top / no shirt and no helmet with tennis shoes or flip flops. Just wear gear. Some gear is better than no gear, but full gear is best.

I ride in all weather and year 'round here in DC. All you can say about the weather here is if you don't like it, wait ten minutes, and if it's summer it's both very hot and humid. The most versatile, safe gear you can wear in varied conditions like this is the AeroStitch RoadCrafter (GoreTex, whole-body, armored, zipper ventilation, one zip on/off). I have a Hi-Viz yellow version.

[Ed: Plus Frey/Daytona or Sidi boots, Held kangaroo or Kevlar/Aramid demolition gloves (for warm, wet weather)]

I end up in stop-n-go traffic a lot, however, and above 90 degrees with lots of humidity I can get very uncomfortable at stoplights in even that get-up. To compensate, I have one of those ice pack vests that freeze-up below 50degF -- I just bag it and stuff it in the employee freezer when I get to work. Once my torso is cool, I'm ready to go. This vest is good for about three hours and can be somewhat restored by just being held under cool water for a few minutes.

All that having been said, I did cave and get a BMW Airflow suit last year in the pit of August (basically, nicely padded mesh gear). It has nowhere near the protection of the RoadCrafter, and in really hot-n-gross weather (100+degF) the ventillation is no good compared to the ice packs, so I'd say it was convenient but not especially useful on the whole.

For winter, I wear leather with a Gerbing's electric jacket liner and (when things get nasty cold) electric gloves. I have a "euro" accessory port on my 'Busa to drive these items. That's gotten me through at 14degF for more than an hour at a stretch. For mid-season riding I have two different pairs of Hood Kevlar/Aramid-lined jeans that I wear with my leather or mesh top (usually with a waterproof windbreaker, 'cuz I always get caught in the rain that time of year).

[Ed: I also have a pair of AeroStitch Darien pants that work well with my leather jacket. On/off almost as fast as the RoadCrafter and warmer and more socially acceptable.]

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there is gear out there for every eventuality, and if you can afford a bike and the latest mods you can afford the gear. You don't belong on the bike without it -- a standard pair of jeans is good for, oh -- let's see, five or six feet of sliding on typical asphalt. That's less than useless because those (usually filthy) fibers can get ground into your skin on top of everything else.

Additionally, you have NO IDEA what getting asphalt cleaned out with a wire brush in the ER or having a wicked, life-threatening surface infection (e.g., staph) feels like until it's happened to you or a loved/liked one. Very unpleasant. Most folks who intimate that they can "accept the risk" have no concept of the risk in question. You can bleed to death or lose limbs because of abrasion damage, for Pete's sake -- it's not that uncommon. Hands, feet, kneecaps, etc.

I mean, if your head requires a helmet with all of that bone around your brain, what about the rest of you, eh?

Naturally, it's everyone's right to ride however you want to, but it's important to fully appreciate what they're getting into when one choses to wear essentially nothing in the way of protective gear on their bodies. Plus, it puts a greater burden on who they ride with or the Paramedics who come to scrape them off the pavement if the scope of injury in a crash is not offset by the right gear. Imagine if someone you ride with had to watch your flesh get ground away? Bad scene.

busagod said something about cyclegear.com having leathers on sale. How do people feel about those and are there any other sites with leathers on sale? It's the end of the riding season for most people so things should go down in price. Any other ideas? I'm in need of the whole get up from boots and gloves to leathers. All I have right now is a JR summer jacket, a good helmet, and some deerskin gloves. I don't know where to start but need to soon. Any ideas would be great?

-Pimpbike
I know here's Rev harping about NewEnough.com again but they are really a good bunch of folks with outstanding prices and service. :thumbsup:

Newenough Newenough.com These guys rock...and I do not own stock...

I NEVER ride without full gear...
Nick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you get some pretty intense heast in SoCal, don't you!!

I think the point I am trying make here is for all the newbie riders that will come through as a wave.

What they hear and see their senior riders wearing will set the presidence for their 'take' on riding.

We are riding SERIOUS MACHINES,, WHY ARE SOME ACTING SO NOT SO SERIOUS.

Not much to look up to!

Let's set the pace. Let’s claim responsibility. Let us show leadership we should be and not look like the pure idiots that CBS portrayed us to be on television last week.

When asked, “Aren’t you hot in those leathers?â€￾ I respond by saying with a smile, ‘Only when I stop!’ :cool:

For me, its full gear, all the time, no exceptions... ask me why...

Pimp', newenough.com (and several other places) have good prices.
For me, the key is fit and comfort, so I went to Marietta Motorsports (MarMo) in Smyrna and tried on several types and styles. Selection was best I found at 4 different ATL shops. After "shopping" on the 'net for several weeks, I bought at MarMo 1) because I knew it would fit right, 2) the price was fair, 3) they're a good local race shop, and I want to support them.
my .02
Steve C.

1. Gear like the bike you ride is a matter of choice.
2. Full leathers are not the only choice tha is functionally correct.
3. Not all of us have alternate transportation.

For what it is worth.. I usually wear either an HJC or a Shoei flip-face helmet. I wear either a Joe Rocket Mesh (crashed wearing one at 70mph. Jacket was actually still usable.) or a Joe Rocket Leather/Mesh combo. In the winter or what passes as winter here in FL I wear a Heins Gericke leather jacket with zip out lining. For when it rains I have a TourMaster 2 peice rainsut that fits over (tightly) my dry weather jackets. I wear either race type leather/kevlar gauntlets or for daily commute Joe Rocket leather/padded gloves. I have a pair of teknic touring boots. I ride in jeans...or dockers for work.

But some times I just want to ride... with a helmet & maybe gloves.

As far as accidents vs on purposes... Accidents happen because someone wasn't paying attention. Period. When I ride *naked* as it were... I am also riding more cautiously. My speed is lower. I am if anything more alert.

I drove an ambulance for 5 years... I've seen the result of countless wrecks, cycle & cager. I've been down myself...done the roadrash thing too.
Life is about managing risks & taking responsibility.
If its all about protection... buy a BMW or a Porsche. I garauntee that something that would leave your full leather & armored body a broken & bloody mess will barely shake you up by comparison.

Just my opinion. Ya'll have fun now, ya hear?

:thumbsup:       :cool:

I went for a short ride with a t the other day, kinda felt like I was being stupid........I always wear helmet, gloves, jacket, leather boots, should buy pants too I guess.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there is gear out there for every eventuality, and if you can afford a bike and the latest mods you can afford the gear. You don't belong on the bike without it -- a standard pair of jeans is good for, oh -- let's see, five or six feet of sliding on typical asphalt. That's less than useless because those (usually filthy) fibers can get ground into your skin on top of everything else.

Additionally, you have NO IDEA what getting asphalt cleaned out with a wire brush in the ER or having a wicked, life-threatening surface infection (e.g., staph) feels like until it's happened to you or a loved/liked one. Very unpleasant. Most folks who intimate that they can "accept the risk" have no concept of the risk in question. You can bleed to death or lose limbs because of abrasion damage, for Pete's sake -- it's not that uncommon. Hands, feet, kneecaps, etc.

I mean, if your head requires a helmet with all of that bone around your brain, what about the rest of you, eh?

Naturally, it's everyone's right to ride however you want to, but it's important to fully appreciate what they're getting into when one choses to wear essentially nothing in the way of protective gear on their bodies. Plus, it puts a greater burden on who they ride with or the Paramedics who come to scrape them off the pavement if the scope of injury in a crash is not offset by the right gear. Imagine if someone you ride with had to watch your flesh get ground away? Bad scene.
Two great points!

Anyone out there wearing 'Draggin Jeans'?

Additionally, with my left lowside last Monday, without my AlpineStars SuperTech boots my ankle would have bee crushed.

My whole left ankle is black and blue/swollen. I feel like a train ran over me. :crazy:

Back