at what age?

Back in Singapore, you have to be 12.

I think the most important thing is to be sure the kid is on the passenger seat, not on the tank, to make sure he/she is educated, and knows which direction over the shoulder to look, as well as to make sure they wear a helmet. They should be able to sit comfortably on the back seat as well.

Civic have you taken the MSF ERC? You are can ride with a passanger on the course, you both might get something out of it.[/QUOTE]

Gunnybusa: i have not taken this class. i have heard that in my area they have an offroad class. i have taken the road class when i first got my bike when i was 17...10 years latter i should probably go back for a refresher.

When they can reach the pegs is what I was told. I used to ride my step son around all the time, he was the coolest kid at school because he got to ride on my motorcycle.

I'll probably take some #### for this but he sometimes would fall asleep on the longer rides (1 hour), I could have pulled over and woke him up but he would just went back to sleep, I guess he was comfortable on the back.

One time, I'm cruzzin down the fwy and people are getting all excited because he was asleep, again, I pulled off the hwy because I thought there was something wrong, nope, he was just sleepin.

He wouldn't fall to one side or the other, just lay forward on me with his hands resting on my legs, since I wasn't leaning off the bike he would just rest there, never did it seem like he was going to fall off, ever. Seemed ok to me, not what I would preffer but it wasn't a problem. I was extra carefull when I knew he had fallin asleep though.

OK, fire away.:laugh:
Both of mine have will fall asleep on the back, I just watch for their grip loosening. If they start feeling a little too dead, I just move a bit to wake 'em up. The 12 year old is getting a bit heavy for this.

Used to take my 9 year old niece to TKD on my fj.
She loved it
biggrin.gif
I got permission from her mom and dad first of course. I loved bikes as a kid and have a pic somewhere of me when I was like 5 or so. Rides on the motorcycles and getting bucked off a mule are like the first memories I remember (proper syntax?) I wonder if I wouldve had the same feelings for bikes now if I wasnt exposed to them as a kid?

Larry you can try any of the below for the ERC. PDbusa just took the ERC, you can ask him how he liked it.

AMERICAN IRONHORSE MOTORCYCLE COMPANY   FORT WORTH 76106 TARRANT  (817) 239-6686

MOTO ED   FORT WORTH 76106 TARRANT  (817) 239-6686

TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE   FORT WORTH 761793599

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124893556 -->

MrHans we have been teaching the new ERC here for about a year. You can have a passenger for the skills plus riders course. Just not on exercised one.

My kids rode only when they could touch the pegs. Same with the grandkids now. The granddaughter was pretty funny when she was stretching as much as she could to get her toes on the pegs so she could go on a ride with "Grandpa Carl"
smile.gif

A few days ago I was making a right and spotted a large lady riding a cruiser pull out of a gas station. She had the short sleeve thin shirt, no helmet or other safety gear, sandals and while I didn't see her pants (I did see a flash of a pastel blue or green), it wouldn't surprise me to see stretch peddle pushers in powder blue
smile.gif
Behind her was a small kid in an oversized helmet who was about 7 with his arms stretched wide holding on to mom and face pressed into her back. :o

Carl

smile.gif

I was riding on the back of my dads streetbike at around 7 years old or so and from a kids perspective I only got a bit worried on the crazy interstates and whatnot, around town was fine if the drive can ride smoothly. Bike was a V45 magna that also had a sissy bar so that probably made it easier.

I have 2 boys 6 and 4 and so afraid of taking them out for rides because I live On Long Island and everyone and their grandmothers drive SUV's out here. Not to mention they are also on their cellphones. Its like playing frogger trying to dodge all the cagers.

Maybe when they get a little older I'll take them out for short rides.

The Fiance has 2 kids boy / age 4 & girl / age 6. We want to get them into riding so bad, but they have their Mom's grace...Ahemmm, anyhow...were still working on having em walk through a parking lot without falling over or running into something. We got the kids on bicycles this year w/training wheels & they are learning real quick. Thinking small 4 wheelers or small dirtbikes next year. The kids have got to sit on my cruiser, but not the Busa so far. Im completely terrified that they would fall off or worse yet one of the homicidal cagers would do something stupid.

On a side note, Im also a little terrified of bringing the Fiance with me anymore. 2 weeks ago, we took a 200 mile trip, and she admits to falling completely asleep 4 times, even though I counted more....I sorta figgured something was wrong when her helmet kept resting into my back, and when we were turning, I was the only one leaning...I guess Lee Parks shifting methods I learned well...completely smooth, maybe too smooth.
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124998222 -->

It totally depends on the kid. Some kids are simply more advanced than others, more aware of the real world ya know? So age doesn't really figure into it, nearly as much as development. Hell, I grew up on the back of motorcycles and riding my own? Been on the back of some form of two wheeler since I was about 5-6, used to get dragged all over Colorado.

Back