Doing the right thing...

I agree with everyone else.  you did the right thing.  you might have even saved some 16-18 year old girl from getting hurt or killed to.  so look at it as if you save 2 lives!
beerchug.gif

Thank you - definately the right thing.

There is a dealer here in Dallas that sold an 06 GSXR 1000 to a new rider. He lost it & went off an overpass killing him. Bike stayed on overpass w/ minimal damage 7 miles on the odometer.

(bitabur @ Apr. 03 2007,02:35) I don't think it's right to stop someone from doing what they want.
If you're just running around attempting to stop people because you don't like what they do then I agree with you wholeheartedly.

However, in this case, it wasn't about stopping the father from doing what he wanted or the kid from doing what HE wanted. This was a case of not selling him the bike because he didn't want to sell him the bike.

Which do you choose? What you don't want to do versus what they want to do? It really isn't even a question of morality, it's a question of doing what you think is best in a give situation.

--Wag--

I watch a salesman explain how the controls work on a zx6, to a 17ish yr old kid wearing flipflops who then pointed to women and stated his mother would be paying for it. I listen in for awhile, it was clear the kid had never been on a bike, and at no point did the saleman even suggest any thing else.

I left, assuming they would let that kid drive away flipflops and all. I don't buy much from that dealer, and would never buy a bike from them, and frankly what I saw that day didn't suprise me, it was pretty par for them.

Point being you gained a lot of respect when you did the right thing, and likely from people you didn't even know knew.

the problem in this situation is,salesmen like all people like to make money.if the a.m.a. presented a sensible plan to the states concerning the tiered licensing of riders the salesmen would have to sell smaller bikes to new riders and there would be fewer young kids driving up our insurance rates.also,before anyone tells me"we dont need anymore government regulations"ask yourself...would you sell a handgun to a thirteen year old?

When I was looking for a 'Busa my son was also looking for a bike. The salesguy was pushing him into a GSXR 1000. He loved the idea. I said no. My son had lots of dirt riding experience but little street experience. I trust him, but 17 year old genes will eventually take over. He ended up getting a barely used SV650S from another dealer. He loves it (though he loves my 'Busa better).

I didn't think the salesguy showed much responsibility. He left the dealership shortly afterward.

i remember when i was 17 i had no business riding the bike i had...i was lucky i didnt kill myself or someone else...i acted like an idiot when there were girls around.

Does anyone every ask to see their motorcycle license before selling a bike to someone - besides the advice to take a safety, riding class of course? I know there are a lot of riders that do not have a motorcycle license but are riding anyway. They may ride safe but when you fail to follow the correct approach by getting the license, getting the experience, and taking a safety course on riding on the street what do you end up with - dead or injured people. I started on a motor scooter, Cushman Husky, a lot of years ago and moved up through the sizes. Ended up on the Busa many, many years later. Not saying you have to wait years, but patience is rewarded and there is a way to go about things especially when you talk about something where people can get hurt. Nuff of the soap box. Always speak with integrity and ride safe!
cool.gif

To me there are 2 schools of thought on this. On the one hand you are there to sell bikes and make a living. The bottom line is the bottom line for most places of employment. On the hand there is the issue of doing the right thing because its just the right thing to do. Not cause you have to but because its just the right thing to do. Any bike can kill you if you dont respect it or know how to ride no matter how big it is. I applaud you on how you handled that. Maybe you saved his life maybe not. But i think it was the right thing to do. Good to see the father listened to you. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you beleive. Good job...!!
bowdown.gif

Back