VA Spring Ride Attendance

I don't even want to look at the pics...I'm so pissed...looks like a great ride though guys. I'll do what I can to plan something, but you know I've kind of got to have the hubby on board and THAT seems to be where the problems start...
mad.gif

I'm glad you guys had fun...the guy that showed up from the "other" board said he had a blast and that you guys were great...thank goodness you behaved yourselves!
laugh.gif

So, who's going to run on the "rain date"
tounge.gif

Maybe it was the French guy that had to leave early to go work at a wine tasting event. I think he had a CBR 600? Yep he was cool ... I thought maybe we were riding too slow for him ... dang I can't remember his biker name or his real name.

heh rain date?
rock.gif
yeah we blew that outta the water
laugh.gif
Just happy to know that the weather man up there sux as bad as the one we have down here
wink.gif

And Michelle, I'll help ya with the planning if you want, have a few ideas for a ride up there, maybe a weekend getaway for folks. They can bring the family down and the "non riders" can do family stuff in the colonial areas or theme parks while we ride one day. The next day we could all visit one or the other places
rock.gif
whatch think?

Base things in Williamsburg, ride the colonial parkway to Jamestown, Yorktown, across the ferry to Surry, down to VA Beach then back up to Williamsburg ? I know I've done that on the bicycle in my younger days and it was a fun ride. Not the twisty curvy chew a hole in the seat riding that some parts of this past weekend was but scenic and fun none the less
biggrin.gif

rock.gif

heh rain date?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
  Just happy to know that the weather man up there sux as bad as the one we have down here
wink.gif

And Michelle, I'll help ya with the planning if you want, have a few ideas for a ride up there, maybe a weekend getaway for folks.  They can bring the family down and the "non riders" can do family stuff in the colonial areas or theme parks while we ride one day.  The next day we could all visit one or the other places
rock.gif
 whatch think?

Base things in Williamsburg, ride the colonial parkway to Jamestown, Yorktown, across the ferry to Surry, down to VA Beach then back up to Williamsburg ?  I know I've done that on the bicycle in my younger days and it was a fun ride.  Not the twisty curvy chew a hole in the seat riding that some parts of this past weekend was but scenic and fun none the less
biggrin.gif
Excellent Brian and Michelle ... sounds like the beginning of a great plan ... let's do this!!

rock.gif

heh rain date?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

And Michelle, I'll help ya with the planning if you want, have a few ideas for a ride up there, maybe a weekend getaway for folks.  They can bring the family down and the "non riders" can do family stuff in the colonial areas or theme parks while we ride one day.  The next day we could all visit one or the other places
rock.gif
 whatch think?

Base things in Williamsburg, ride the colonial parkway to Jamestown, Yorktown, across the ferry to Surry, down to VA Beach then back up to Williamsburg ?  I know I've done that on the bicycle in my younger days and it was a fun ride.  Not the twisty curvy chew a hole in the seat riding that some parts of this past weekend was but scenic and fun none the less
biggrin.gif
Excellent Brian and Michelle ... sounds like the beginning of a great plan ... let's do this!!
Damn...sounds like you know more about the area I'm close to than I do! That doesn't say much about me, does it?!
laugh.gif

I've done that run in a car, but it's been a long time ago...I'd be lost if I led...

I am game for that idea...honestly...something closer to me is a plus with kids too...it's not so hard to get away for a day, though I love the idea of overnight trips...

Okay guys...let's plan something...

DJ, I missed you so much!!! How'd your rider do? I really wanted to meet her...Tom, Martin, Paul...all of the guys...I am sorry I missed out, rain or shine, I really wanted to be there...
sad.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

Maybe it was the French guy that had to leave early to go work at a wine tasting event. I think he had a CBR 600? Yep he was cool ... I thought maybe we were riding too slow for him ... dang I can't remember his biker name or his real name.
He did have a CBR I think...I've never met or talked to him until he saw I posted up that there was a ride in Winchester on another board...he asked for details...I'm glad he went...
cool.gif

yeah, that dude was on a cbr600 I think

Here's a quick route proposal for the May/June ride. I havent been down there in a while but this is kinda the idea I had. Stop 3 on the diagram would be lunch down in VA Beach. We'll need to firm up some things obviously but this route would allow us to stop/sight see/take our time and be back in plenty of time for evening fun with the family/kids.

Thoughts?

summer_va_ride1.jpg

total distance ~155miles, plenty of stops along the way in the national parks areas, should be nice scenery, includes lunch at the beach and a ferry ride (which might be ok).

The bad thing is that it does include 2 segments of about 20-25miles each of interstate driving if we are going to try and make VA Beach for lunch....though that does include the bay/bridge tunnel so it could be fun
cool.gif

This would definately be more of a sightseeing expedition than turn/burn kinda ride, though I'm sure there's some roads down there for that stuff. Let me know what you all think, I'm kinda thinkin this could be a weekend getaway for families, there's plenty to do in the area, hotels should be fairly cheap and abundant. The riders could even meet up with their family at points of interest (Jamestown/Yorktown) if we planned enough of a break to check things out. Then ride down to the beach for lunch, the families could as well if they wanted. So kinda a ride/family day, heck some of these roads are even tame enough if your kids wanted to ride with you they could
cool.gif

btw, the longest leg of that route would be ~ 52miles from Yorktown to VA Beach.
wink.gif

Looks good, but the Interstate traffic can be hit or miss and treacherous when riding in a pack...VA Beach is a good run, but cruising the strip causes some Busas to overheat (mine)...
wink.gif

Otherwise, it's a good run...I'll do some research, get some other ideas going too, but you've got the best so far!
biggrin.gif

well the VA Beach thing was just a thought.... not a must
wink.gif
I havent been there in 10yrs and I'm fine with extending that out
biggrin.gif

Maybe some other local roads or possibly a trip to the OBX via 168/158/17 for lunch instead of VA Beach.... definately farther but way better "beach" type stuff. Just an idea
cool.gif
Let me know what you come up with for other places to ride
smile.gif

hmm... yeah 120miles from Surry to the Wright Bros place on the OBX
rock.gif

Oh, I wasn't ruling out VA Beach...I love going there...I just try to avoid the thick traffic on the strip or I'm the dummy sitting in a hotel parking lot watching the temp gauge...
laugh.gif

OBX trip would be fun too...take the ferry to Okracoke Island...hrmmm...
cool.gif

yeah, we could do an E. NC tour instead of the Williamsburg area
wink.gif
that would probably mean disregarding the "abundant/cheap" comment I made in reference to hotels though. You are lookin at 80-150/night depending on where we'd base it at there
wow.gif

yeah, we could do an E. NC tour instead of the Williamsburg area
wink.gif
  that would probably mean disregarding the "abundant/cheap" comment I made in reference to hotels though.  You are lookin at 80-150/night depending on where we'd base it at there
wow.gif
True...true...let me do some thinking...be back in about 3 years!
laugh.gif

heh rain date?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

rock.gif
 whatch think?

biggrin.gif
Damn...sounds like you know more about the area I'm close to than I do!  That doesn't say much about me, does it?!  
laugh.gif

I've done that run in a car, but it's been a long time ago...I'd be lost if I led...

I am game for that idea...honestly...something closer to me is a plus with kids too...it's not so hard to get away for a day, though I love the idea of overnight trips...

Okay guys...let's plan something...

DJ, I missed you so much!!!  How'd your rider do?  I really wanted to meet her...Tom, Martin, Paul...all of the guys...I am sorry I missed out, rain or shine, I really wanted to be there...
sad.gif
We missed you too Shell. Just wasn't the same without you!

rock.gif

laugh.gif

He did have a CBR I think...I've never met or talked to him until he saw I posted up that there was a ride in Winchester on another board...he asked for details...I'm glad he went...
cool.gif
His name was "Arce." Like, I fell off my bike and landed on my arce.

yeah, that dude was on a cbr600 I think

Here's a quick route proposal for the May/June ride. I havent been down there in a while but this is kinda the idea I had.  Stop 3 on the diagram would be lunch down in VA Beach.  We'll need to firm up some things obviously but this route would allow us to stop/sight see/take our time and be back in plenty of time for evening fun with the family/kids.

Thoughts?
This looks great for a Late July or August ride. Ms. Postal might even come on this one with me.

Hey Tom...you coming from NoVa Friday night?  I am REALLY thinking about doing the same.  Not sure I want to roll out to Winchester at 7:30 in the AM Saturday and then do an all day ride.  How big your trailer?  Want company?  Even if the Bus don't fit on the trailer, maybe I could follow you out Friday evening???  I learned a new trick!  You could get footage of it while rolling out there!
Sorry I missed your post Dr. J. I would have gladly doubled up on the trailer. I was in Chicago all week and didn't get home until Friday afternoon. Maybe next time!

Tom.

Back