Turbo Busa vs. TT Viper.

I just watched that video and if you watch the busa driver's left hand he doesn't touch the clutch lever at all...am I wrong?

Hi, just joined because I stumbled across the Viper Busa race. I noticed some things I might be able to help with.

Power to Weight
-Someone mentioned the Busa should have a 2:1 weight to power ratio
-A 1996 Viper GTS weighs in at 3415 lbs.
-There was a Heffner TT GTS Tested by Hot Rod, and it puts out approximately 1600 hp at the crank at the owners best guess. ( http://hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0505_viper/index.html )
-This comes out to be a Weight to Power Ratio of 2.13:1
-Fairly close
-So according to this, the Busa should be the winner.

Gearing
-Next we have to look at Gearing.
-The Busa may have been geared to high or something, who knows.
-I have seen a 350 hp Mustang beat a 425 hp Mustang in the 1/4 strictly because of Gearing, so it makes a huge difference.

Clutching it
-I also saw a comment about the guy not shifting, and from what I can tell, the Electronic shifter on his Busa seems to be setup like Ferrari has their F1 Paddle shifters setup.
-The clutch and everything are run by electronic motors and actuators and stuff, so it's faster and more idiot proof.

If anyone has touched these topics, I apologize.

Also, I’m no expert. I’m just a kid who graduated from College and tries to look at the whole picture. I am fairly trusting of people, and I don’t see someone spending the money it took to get that Busa and Viper together just to rig a video for the internet. It’s not like he was trying to prove he nail Jessica Simpson. Now to what I drive. Since I just graduated from college, I can’t afford anything cool yet. I drive a 1997 2wd S-10 that I think will do the ¼ mile in a coon’s age. I don’t pretend to have something fast, I just dream of the day I will. If I have anything here that is wrong, let me know, I am just working with the sources I have on hand. Late

You spent all that time getting the race ready and only have that crappy footage?  I am not calling anybody a liar but something is a miss here.
Why does it even matter? The point of the video was to show the outcome of the race, which it did 100%. It doesnt have to be directed by George Lucas.
I agree. Good point too.

Maybe he did win, and maybe not. Troll.

Although myself included don't believe that guy knew WTF he was doing on the Busa with one hand casually cruising. BUT, they did say afterwards they were accelerating to race speed (80mph) to actually begin. So who knows. Race wasn't really all that long, did they actually make it to 180mph??

Is this an advertisement for this Twin Turbo setup or something?? If it was then I could understand. Here's my thing.
$10,000 bike + turbo mods = Still in the sub $20,000 range I'm guessing here......??
Twin Turbo Viper......yeah, lets see how much it cost to make that puppy run what it was running. $80,000 car + mods. It's not even a close comparison....if it is true. Probably in the $140,000 price range. Point is.......like someone said in the other forums....it's not even a close comparison. Reminds me of that video of the R1 vs, the Porsche, vs, a fighter jet on a runway.

I'm building an LS1 Twin Turbo motor for my late 2nd gen Camaro and it's going to cost upwards of $15,000 .......i'd hate to see what a TT Viper setup went for.

<!--EDIT|Aceshigh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119873549 -->

FIRST OF ALL THE 80MPH ROLL ON IS A JOKE THERE IS NO WAY YOU WOULD BEAT A BUSA TURBO IN THAT AREA OF THE POWERBAND CURVE , AND IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO PROVE SOMETHING GO THROUGH THE LIGHTS AT A STAND STILL AND THEN LETS SEE WHO WINS I WOULD BET MY BUSA AGAINST YOUR CAR YOU WILL LOSE!!!! THIS WHOLE THING LOOKS LIKE A STAGGED EVENT SO MR. viper WOULD LOOK GOOD TO WHOEVER IN THE HELL HE IS TRYING TO IMPRESS!!! ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT ITS NOT US HERE AT BUSA YOUR A FAKE YOUR VIDEO IS A FAKE AND IF YOU WANT TO RUN ME COME TO DELPHOS AND I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT A 2000 BUSA WITH THE MODS I'LL HAVE CAN DO TO YOUR PRETTY LITTLE SHOW CAR, OTHERWISE SELL IT AND BUY A BUSA UNLESS YOUR SCARED TO FIND OUT WHAT REAL POWER IS LIKE ON TWO WHEELS!!!!!!

well i just stumbled onto this thread. i have seen 2 other twin turbo vipers in videos racing busas. turbo and no turbo. and even at high mph roll starts the vipers stood no chance, may have ran close for a sec or two but, then end result was the same. now im not really knocking the guy/car in the video but, it did look as if the rider on the busa posing for pics and not racing. why is it that every guy in a cage has to produce a bogus video about how he beat a busa. damn 2 whell envy. go buy a busa and get over it.
cool.gif

This is a propaganda video so this guy can sell some twin turbo systems to the naive cagers on his board.  Looks like he's got a couple of takers from the replies on viperalley. Will they be disappointed when they get beat by the Busa.

BTW, if these guys are so into performance, why is thier site so painfully slow?

That video looked a bit weak, but so does the 220mph/140 wheelie video which we all know is legit, with similar power to weight ratios the car will win because of aerodynamics.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119919207 -->

I think it was full of $hit. that driver of the Busa had to be trying to stay in the 3000rpm range. I'd love to see that @ss hole on the Xway and kick in his mirror as I flew past him.

Its 1 thing to win, its another thing to rant.

$100k car vs. 15k bike nada fair
Put Best of the best up one on one.

Viper eat this, if you can you $%$%ing POS... ...$hit talker... heres our best
laugh.gif

http://users.pandora.be/lucius_vulpes/235mph.wmv

A REAL Viper vs. Busa race is the Nick Slick Video "The REal Deal." It's pretty unbiased and the races are from different angles. The guy from Viper Alley ought to give Nick or Full Tilt a call b/c they've called out ANYONE who wants to run them just for comparisons sake.

lol, guys, i do not own that car. It was jsut a copy and paste from the viper forums(as stated in the first sentence)
LOL the truth starts to come out. You have troll written all over yourself.

By the way, a stock busa can beat a 638+ RWHP vette as proved in another thread. So a turbo busa definetly cannot be beat by a car unless it has over 1000RWHP.

Oh, and from the way this thread was presented it sounded like your car. Funny, only trolls post threads of other peoples car and brag about it.

WOW!! what a joke lol

The Busa rider wasn’t even trying. Which means either the video is a bunch of B.S. or the rider didn’t know what he was doing.

I have been up to max speed on my stock Busa, and I think my Busa would have beat the Busa in the video.

And yeah, why would "ScrewDrvr" come to the Busa board to brag about how he beat a Busa if it was such a friendly race and he respects the "Busa Rider" for admitting he got beat? that is not being humble. And that sure is no way to pay respect back to someone to go about bragging how you beat them. Kind of like rubbing salt in the wound.

Whole thing smells of wet troll.

And if not wet troll, then someone who doesn’t know how to ride a Busa making the rest of us look bad and at the least a braggart viper owner with self esteem issues
+1

funny... I had to download it to my desktop to watch it at first about 6 months ago. Now this post pops bad up and it reminded me to delete that clip into my "crap" can.

Watching it again just reminds me exactly what this "race" was... bullshit. It's one thing that the cage racers like to yap about how the can beat out bikes, especially a busa. But it becomes very serious when crap like this encourages the cage racers to proactively seek out race bikers on the road to taunt into racing because they saw bullshit clips like this and now they want to brag how they raced a sportbike and beat us.

Creates a dangerous situation for us bikers. I was on the 5 fwy south to San Diego about 1 month ago when I rode up on 2 other sportriders. I did the respectful thing of keeping behing them, but they were doing okay around 90 + mph. What I didn't dig was that when we came up on this newer, pasty blue, Porche (either a Carrea 4 or 911), one of the riders starting playing around with the Porche to get the driver to race. The driver oblige and that's when got sticky. Needless to say, after about 2 miles of watching the bike and porche go at it, I decided to "get" out of there and leave that madness BEHIND me. I was in 6th all the time, and I was no more than 30 feet behind when I just pinned the throttle, no downshifting whatsoever.

Me, being only about 140lb, even in 6th I felt my front wheel come up slightly as I flew pass them (Porche & 2 other sportbikers) with my back of my trademark, gay-ass looking bunny strapped on with his ears flapping. Yes, I gave the riders a wave with my clutch hand. Porche didn't even try to keep up. By the time the other 2 riders downshifted to get some torque, I was well into 160 mph for the next 4 to 5 miles. Besides having to get meself out of that situation, I had to go piss really bad too and the rest stop was about 8 miles away when I pinned my throttle.

So knowing what I went through in that, I look back at that video clip and I can say it's 100% pure bullshit.

im a stong believer in the viper. as it is my ultimate goal to own a couple of them form both gen one and two, but at the same time, i have to look at the facts. a 20K dollar busa, versus a 130+k viper tuner car... come on, lets be real people, quit trying to compare cars to bikes....

A lightly modded bike (i.e. full exhaust, pc, airbox mod and maybe cams) wouldn't be too far behind that Viper. Now a TURBO is a different story. But I'm not gonna get into it b/c arguing bout something like this is just so pointless. I'll be a true believer once Gary calls up Nick Slick and Kerry Ward and challenges them to a race. Now THAT would be a race to watch.

I saw this post and had to reply even though its an old subject. I spend a lot of time at the drag strip.. and I can tell ya now.. this is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. There is no way in hell this is a real race. I have seen barely modded busa's (cam's, PC3 USB and Pipe) run faster times than pro stock drag cars with almost a 1000 HP. There is a busa round here running 1/8 mile 126mp at about 6 seconds. No Turbo.. Nothing other than a couple small mods. I have been at speeds over 100 and there is no way in hell any real racer would have the posture that clown had. The busa with a turbo would be next to imposssible to keep the front tire down when hammered in the power band.

I like cars and I like bikes.. you can't beat the horsepower to weight ratio of the sport bikes of today.

I watch bikes race and I watch cars.. most cars don't even try to race the busa's here.... its pointless unless they are full tilt dragsters.

Wow! Thread resurrection!
biggrin.gif

I've talked with Gary a few times and he's really a alright guy. Followed what he's been doing with his heffner projects too a bit and here's a update:

Blue TT viper has long been sold to another owner.....who got his tail handed to him by a AWD turbo'd up Porsche with just over 800whp. LOTS of hilarity between the viper and porsche boards resulted in a rematch that had both cars unable to make traction and do anything decent. Another rematch was scheduled but crap started flying again and I don't believe anything was resolved. Status of this viper is unknown. And no I don't believe it raced another turbo busa either.

Gary has started another Turbo viper project trying to make the worlds fastest street car ( http://garyjavo.com/index.html ). His page hasn't been updated recently though so i'm not sure if he's succeeding towards his goal. While i'm not certain i do recall seeing a similar red viper in pics collections from here and other busa boards at the texas event's. As we all know the Turbo busa's reign easily over the vipers though. Recent results if i recall right had a hennessy viper doing just 217mph while a new guy on a street turbo busa busted 230mph. Think the yancy's turbo busa record still stands at 250+mph.

I have seen this video posted long ago. In every forum, everyone has commented how this video seemed "rigged". These are your own viper friends, and numerous high horsepower supra owners.

I know bikes can be beat, I have no illusions about that. But this video doesn't seem like a legit race. I know you have gotten tons of accusations that this video was rigged, so why don't you guys re-race and get more than one crappy "run".

P.S. - I plan to build a turbo busa soon too.

Back