Took the bike out for a little ride yesterday

jaywoo

Registered
My winter project this year was new paint, new sprockets (17/43) and Chain, new back tire and some minor cosmetic stuff like mirrors, gas cap, HIDs, etc. No power mods.

So yesterday afternoon I get off work a little early. It's almost 60* out, so what the heck. I took her out to see if I could tell a difference in the 43T rear vs the old 40. First thing I noticed is that it will wheelie in 1st gear just by rolling on the gas. It didn't do that before. Second thing is the speedo was off. I have a speedohealer set to -5.3% for the factory error and that was pretty correct. Until the 43T anyway. Now it's set to -13.6%.

***Warning, quick racing story***
So, riding back on the Highway, a Kawasaki Ninja gets on the highway next to me. We had a pretty long clear stretch and he takes off. I figure what the heck, shift to 4th and go. I'm not sure the model of Kawi, I think it was a 636, it had the exhaust coming out from under the seat. Anyway, I was suprised at the quickness of that bike. I did catch him and pass him, but not as quickly as I thought I would. I won't mention any speeds, but we were pretty high up. I'm thinking maybe I should have went down to third (was going about 65-70 or so when he took off). Plus he had the hit. I was just cruising along in 6th at the time.

Is this pretty typical, or do I just suck riding?? :banghead:

Last edited:
That sounds fairly typical, those bikes are a lot lighter, which translates to some get up and go! All fall eventually to the busa though! :thumbsup:

First we need to get together and ride sometime im in conway ( I think we talked about this already), I rode Sunday it was pretty nice. second you dont suck but I probly would have went to third at 70 dont forget that bike is allot lighter than yours so with you in 6th there going to get the jump on you.. atleast you showed him in the end. let me know if your ever out so we can ride... I think it's getting to the point to where were not going to have many 50* days till spring! p.s. good one on the 43 i love mine big diffrence I'm putting the 16 on in a couple weeks.

I don't do a ton of racing on the Busa, only had it since last July. I just kinda had the idea that a Busa would completly wax a 636 from start to finish. And it might, had we started at the same time and I been in the correct gear instead of downshifting while he's already accelerating. Kinda sounds like a ricer excuse. Yeah, my VTEC didn't kick in. That's it.

It's you :laugh:

Next time try a lower gear...stock Busa will do 85 in first gear...third would have been a better choice. You could have even used second :rulez:

+100. I have been on a zx6 a number of times on a track and there is no comparison in acceleration

It's you :laugh:

Next time try a lower gear...stock Busa will do 85 in first gear...third would have been a better choice. You could have even used second :rulez:

I don't do a ton of racing on the Busa, only had it since last July. I just kinda had the idea that a Busa would completly wax a 636 from start to finish. And it might, had we started at the same time and I been in the correct gear instead of downshifting while he's already accelerating. Kinda sounds like a ricer excuse. Yeah, my VTEC didn't kick in. That's it.

You were in the wrong gear. You should have gone to 3rd. I have stock gearing and can go down to 2nd at 65-75 and take it up to 95-110 (I'm never lookin at the speed. I look at the tach). So with the gear change I would say 3rd would probably be your new sweet spot. Next time you're out and have some straight, flat, open road try the same thing, but go to 3rd and see what kind of difference you feel. As for completely waxing the 636, that's not neccisarilly the case. Those bikes are VERY light compared to the busa. I don't know of a 636 that has undertail exhaust though. Maybe it was aftermarket. Are you sure it was a ninja and not a cbr?

I don't know of a 636 that has undertail exhaust though. Maybe it was aftermarket. Are you sure it was a ninja and not a cbr?

I'm pretty sure an '06 10 had untertail exhaust and I thought the 636 that year did too. Don't feel bad. Those things are quick. If you'd downshifted before he took off, he would have seen more of your tailight. I won't say how I know....:whistle:

Yeah, it was the Kawi Green. Single pipe under the tail. It's probably just me, I should have downshifted another gear. :beerchug:

come back another couple of gears. 3rd would be fine, but i would watch 2nd if you sit way back from the tank.

if it is coming up easy with you rolling on the throttle then it could get interesting when you have some R's and dump the clutch.

hit second and just role into it. thats awsome that you are riding in arkansas im acually looking into moving to mountain home. I didnt think there was anyone that like to ride hayabusa's out there. And the weather is nice enough to ride in january. Awsome!!! Wait didnt ricky gadson run 9's on a 636 with a pipe and powercommander and like a smaller front sprocket? I heard that somewhere but im not sure.

hit second and just role into it. thats awsome that you are riding in arkansas im acually looking into moving to mountain home. I didnt think there was anyone that like to ride hayabusa's out there. And the weather is nice enough to ride in january. Awsome!!! Wait didnt ricky gadson run 9's on a 636 with a pipe and powercommander and like a smaller front sprocket? I heard that somewhere but im not sure.

We love the BUSA here man. Arkansas is a beutiful state to ride in, if you move this way let me know im always wanting to ride. next week it show the temp to be high 50's low 60's all week. Im about 2 1/2 hr from Mt. Home.

The nicest road in Arkansas (in my opinion anyway) runs into Mountain Home. It's called Push Mountain Rd. You can Youtube it and see a unch of vids from there. Also Pushmountainpics.com. That road is really better suited to 600s, but the Busa doesn't do too bad on there.

Back