Tire changes, really......I need a list!

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Local shop now charges 50.00 per tire to change if I bring them my own tires and wheels. That does not include taking the wheels off the bike. I need a list of what I need to do them myself at home. Anyone?

Stands. 22 mm socket for front wheel. Towel for rear wheel. I put the towel on the rear caliper to protect the rear wheel.

I'm assuming you want to actually change the tires, not just take the rims/tires off, right? I can't see you not knowing how to do that....

Getting the rims off the bike shouldn't be an issue, but if you're planning on doing the tire change itself without the proper tools, it's doable, but a big pain in the bum... I think everyone pretty much listed the stands and tools above for removing the rims. You can do a quick google search if you want to find a tire changer. They can get very pricey though and it might take several tire changes to make your money back. The cheapest way to get the tire off is a c-clamp and some spoons or screwdrivers if you don't care about scratching the rims.

If you've never removed rims before, remove the front fender, remove the brake calipers next (front and rear) and do be careful or you can scratch your rims pretty easy. Once the front calipers are off, tie them back with twine, bungee cords, etc... so they're out of the way. Then remove the axle pinch bolts on the ride side (right side, looking forward on the bike). Remove the axle and then your rim should drop down and you're done...

The rear is pretty much the same, but you also have to deal with the chain. Adjust the chain tensioners all the way in so your chain sags. Then you should be able to remove the chain from the rear sprocket so it doesn't restrict movement of the tire. Then remove the rear caliper, remove the cotter pin and the large castle nut. Even if supporting the tire, you may have to tap lightly on the axle with a rubber mallet to get it moving, but then it should pull right out. Once the axle is out, your rim is out as well.

Hope that helps and good luck! It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

My local shops are increasing prices as well for installing tires. It's absolutely ridiculous. It costs $40-$60 for me to get 4 tires installed and balanced for the car, but $50 for one bike tire??? I don't know where these shops get off. If only someone would start a tire changing business for bikes. I've heard that's common in the UK and A LOT cheaper too... Sorry to threadjack :laugh:

It's absolutely crazy what shops are charging these days to change a tire. I paid for my first partial tire change in quite a while two days ago, and that was taking him a bare wheel with a new tire and getting him to slip it on for me.

He went ahead and threw in a balance while he had his hands on it.

We've been slipping then on and off in the garage ourselves the last couple years using a bead breaker and tire tool.

50 BUCKS PER TIRE OFF THE BIKE!!!!! :omg:

That is outrageous. You need to get you a small no-mar changer and their proper tools and a balancer. It will pay for itself in a season for sure :beerchug:

From my own experience: If you do it (and I highly suggest that you do) spend the money and get what you need to do it right and without tearing anything up or damaging your crap. I even change vehicle tires on mine.

Cycle Hill Big Package BLUE

Buy this kit and start changing your buddies for donations. Even if you don't do anyone else's it will pay for itself in 24k miles and you know it is done correctly.

50 BUCKS PER TIRE OFF THE BIKE!!!!! :omg:

That is outrageous. You need to get you a small no-mar changer and their proper tools and a balancer. It will pay for itself in a season for sure :beerchug:
The economy is kicking stealerships asses, which I like because I can't stand'em :cussing: So they're trying to gouge the h3ll out of the customer to make up for it....as if they haven't been gouging us for ever anyways. The less we can support that greedy bull the better off we'll be :thumbsup: I do everything myself except tires, I pull them off and have a local shop swap tires. Its 22-25 bucks a wheel (don't remember for sure), but if the shop I use gets too greedy I'll be doing the tires myself and will stop ordering ANYTHING from them and take ALL my shopping online.
Take that you greedy sob's :moon:

The last time I got quoted $40 (from a local shop) to swap a tire I drove straight to Harbor Freight and bought their tire changing setup. You have to buy the car changer, plus the motorcycle attachment. At the time, each piece was on sale for $39. Since that time, I've changed at least 12 or 15 of my own, plus a bunch for friends. Usually the friends will drop me a $20 for my efforts, so the equipment has paid for itself many times over.

I built a static balancer too. I use it, although I discovered (after changing car tires as a young buck for several years) that the weights usually go right back on where you took them off. The last time I put tires on my BMW, I checked the balance, but didn't add any weights. I took the bike to 140 and didn't feel any vibes. What I'm trying to say here, is that you can leave the wheel weights in place and not worry so much about balance. Modern wheels and high-end tires are pretty dang true (as opposed to the old stamped steel wheels and retread tires I used to deal with). Wheel balancing is overrated and over-priced. Flame suit is on - hit me.

Thanks guys, I know how to take the wheels of the bike, I just need to know what I need for tools to change the tire.

Thanks guys, I know how to take the wheels of the bike, I just need to know what I need for tools to change the tire.

Basic tools are, bead breaker of some type, spoons or tire irons, preferably wheel protectors, some type of device to constrain the wheel while you remove and replace the tire. Oh yea, and an air source that will put out some volume.
Cycle Hill Big Package BLUE

find about 5-10 guys, one having a nice garage, and all with-in about 30min drive and you all go in on a numatic tire changer and keep it easy.

Should be able to get one for $1000. Thats only 20 tire changes then it pays for itself.

I gave up on the HF one I had...just too dang hard on the rear tires for me.

Getting the rims off the bike shouldn't be an issue, but if you're planning on doing the tire change itself without the proper tools, it's doable, but a big pain in the bum... I think everyone pretty much listed the stands and tools above for removing the rims. You can do a quick google search if you want to find a tire changer. They can get very pricey though and it might take several tire changes to make your money back. The cheapest way to get the tire off is a c-clamp and some spoons or screwdrivers if you don't care about scratching the rims.

If you've never removed rims before, remove the front fender, remove the brake calipers next (front and rear) and do be careful or you can scratch your rims pretty easy. Once the front calipers are off, tie them back with twine, bungee cords, etc... so they're out of the way. Then remove the axle pinch bolts on the ride side (right side, looking forward on the bike). Remove the axle and then your rim should drop down and you're done...

The rear is pretty much the same, but you also have to deal with the chain. Adjust the chain tensioners all the way in so your chain sags. Then you should be able to remove the chain from the rear sprocket so it doesn't restrict movement of the tire. Then remove the rear caliper, remove the cotter pin and the large castle nut. Even if supporting the tire, you may have to tap lightly on the axle with a rubber mallet to get it moving, but then it should pull right out. Once the axle is out, your rim is out as well.

Hope that helps and good luck! It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

My local shops are increasing prices as well for installing tires. It's absolutely ridiculous. It costs $40-$60 for me to get 4 tires installed and balanced for the car, but $50 for one bike tire??? I don't know where these shops get off. If only someone would start a tire changing business for bikes. I've heard that's common in the UK and A LOT cheaper too... Sorry to threadjack :laugh:

There is NO NEED to ever adjust your chain tensioners to get the rear wheel off/on....

Back