Tire changes are ridiculous!

I have yet to have a bike I didnt scratch the rims up on, I am careful, but it just happens.

I put my calipers each in a sock and tape off areas that could possibly scratch.

Busa 012.jpg

Over here, both CycleGear and my Harley dealer charge $20 for a tire change and balance. I think Cyclegear adds a disposal fee.

Busa 012.jpg

My No mar has been well worth the expense.

I now have mounted at least 500 tires with it, i advertise locally.

I got sick of hauling them around to be changed (a set every weekend on my gixxer after trackdays) so I also bought a no-mar. Now I change them at MY convenience. About a year or two payout the way I calculated it.

I got sick of trying to get tires swapped and being told come back in two weeks, got my own stuff. No proper tire changer, but a set of spoons work, and on my schedule.
Other bonus is I can check balance anytime I feel like it.

Are you anywhere in AZ?
My guy pulls your wheel off your bike, tire off your rim, being extra careful not to scratch your rim, for 5$ each.

Are you anywhere in AZ?
My guy pulls your wheel off your bike, tire off your rim, being extra careful not to scratch your rim, for 5$ each.

It's almost worth the drive to do it

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

Gixerhp, Springfield area 30 miles north of Hartford, ct. I considered it but your about 2hrs away give or take.

I think I would have told them to stick it. That was a rip off and I would never do business with them again.

Its not just them, they all charge the same fees. Cycle Gear does not like changing tires unless you buy the tires from them. I have a plan and am content with that.

I see, you can do like many other's do, ship the tires to my house!
Gixerhp, Springfield area 30 miles north of Hartford, ct. I considered it but your about 2hrs away give or take.

Just picked up my Busa wheels from my local dealer. Standard rate around town is 50 bucks a wheel to change a tire, plus disposal fee of the old tire. I called competing dealers to price check and they are are the same. No more, I can make due for the rest of this year, new tires on the Busa and new tires on the bmw. Next spring I am pulling the trigger on the No Mar Classic changer and will be doing them myself. They even charge you 35 to change the tires if you buy the tires from them! And that's the carry in rate, I would faint if I knew what they charged if took the whole bike in. Maybe I am getting old, but that is a 200% increase from what they charged me for the last set I carried in to have mounted.
I also understand a dealer has to make money, but come on. The Q-2's from the dealer are over 400 a set, plus 70 to have them mounted. 275.00 shipped online and 100.00 to change them. They recently changed owners again, but nothing else has changed. Sorry for the rant guys, but this burns my butt. I want to support my local dealers but these people are crazy.
OK, rant off, thanks for reading.

$50 per wheel isn't bad man. He's probably only charging you 1/2 to 2/3 hourly rate. That includes mounting and balancing I am assuming. A tire machine, for a good one that is, which most shops have, costs anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000. A dynamic wheel balancing machine runs around $1,500 - $2,500 for a good one that will last. Just trying to give you a little insight into why they charge what they do, not to mention their overhead expenses. Most bike labor rates around my area are $75-$100 an hour. I only charge $50 per hour because I do part-time work out of my garage at home. It's expensive I know, to have good work done on MCs, but I always say, pick a good mechanic and stick with him. He will do you right if you are patient and willing to pay what they ask. Just my 2-cents for what it is worth.

P.

$50 per wheel isn't bad man. He's probably only charging you 1/2 to 2/3 hourly rate. That includes mounting and balancing I am assuming. A tire machine, for a good one that is, which most shops have, costs anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000. A dynamic wheel balancing machine runs around $1,500 - $2,500 for a good one that will last. Just trying to give you a little insight into why they charge what they do, not to mention their overhead expenses. Most bike labor rates around my area are $75-$100 an hour. I only charge $50 per hour because I do part-time work out of my garage at home. It's expensive I know, to have good work done on MCs, but I always say, pick a good mechanic and stick with him. He will do you right if you are patient and willing to pay what they ask. Just my 2-cents for what it is worth.

P.

Thank you Sir, and I do understand, but that price is twice what I paid last year about this same time. And I am not asking them to pull the wheels from my bike, I carry in the wheels and the new tires. With the proper machines and someone who knows what they are doing, it should be an hour tops to change the tires. Shop rate is 75 an hour.

Prices everyone has quoted is nuts alright. Shop up the street mounts them for free if you buy the tires there and bring the wheels. $25 ea. if you buy the tires there and just bring the bike. It does get up to $50 ea if you buy the tires somewhere else and bring the bike.
Since I always buy my tires there and take the wheels off and put them back on myself, haven't paid to have a tire mounted in years. Their tire prices are, except for the rare extreme sale (like the $99 Roadsmarts), within a few $$ of anything on the internet too.

Back