Tire changes are ridiculous!

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Just picked up my Busa wheels from my local dealer. Standard rate around town is 50 bucks a wheel to change a tire, plus disposal fee of the old tire. I called competing dealers to price check and they are are the same. No more, I can make due for the rest of this year, new tires on the Busa and new tires on the bmw. Next spring I am pulling the trigger on the No Mar Classic changer and will be doing them myself. They even charge you 35 to change the tires if you buy the tires from them! And that's the carry in rate, I would faint if I knew what they charged if took the whole bike in. Maybe I am getting old, but that is a 200% increase from what they charged me for the last set I carried in to have mounted.
I also understand a dealer has to make money, but come on. The Q-2's from the dealer are over 400 a set, plus 70 to have them mounted. 275.00 shipped online and 100.00 to change them. They recently changed owners again, but nothing else has changed. Sorry for the rant guys, but this burns my butt. I want to support my local dealers but these people are crazy.
OK, rant off, thanks for reading.

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

Its ridicules what they are charging even if you bring the rim in.i bought a tire machine for my cars and they thru in the adapters for motorcycle tires.I can change one just as fast as a car tire now.takes longer to balance than a car tire,but $20 should be maximum to do it.

I understand your pain. That's why I bought a NOMAR tire changer and I'm super happy with it.!! :thumbsup:

Uncle Steve and I used to be able to change a set in about 20 minutes.. Balanced and everything, we had it down to an art!

find the local track tire guys and they'll do it for a lot less that's what i do $15ea balanced ,taped weights but i'm not into looks

It really is a big ripoff and to make matters worse depending on where you take it and who's doing the change there's a strong possibility they can Scratch or ding up ur rim too!

It really is a big ripoff and to make matters worse depending on where you take it and who's doing the change there's a strong possibility they can Scratch or ding up ur rim too!

I have yet to have a bike I didnt scratch the rims up on, I am careful, but it just happens.

Uncle Steve and I used to be able to change a set in about 20 minutes.. Balanced and everything, we had it down to an art!

Well shoot, wish I would have known that earlier, I could have been over Sunday. :laugh:

Ah, feel better now, got the wheels fitted back on the bike and am ready to roll. Will take her out Thursday night and scub in the new tires.

Team gixxer does local changes for free

ForumRunner_20130423_210536.png

ForumRunner_20130423_210536.png

Cycle Gear charges 20 bucks to mount and balance if you bring them the wheel. I make sure my wheels are spotless and touch up any nicks or scratches and ask them to be extra careful because I am picky and they always do a great job. Dealers are gonna charge you for labor at a high rate. I would suggest you purchase the required stands and pull your wheels yourself. You need a special tool for the front axle which only costs like 10 bucks. Torque wrenches are recommended but not totally necessary.

At this point, you can almost get a slightly used rim and tire on Ebay, run em till the tires shot and toss the whole thing in the river after and still come out ahead!

I sure hope Team Gixxer isn't charging "disposal fees" since obviously they are hoarders.. :rofl:

Back