who changes their own tires?

Also tossed the fugly stock round rotor at the same time and bolted on a Galfer Wave Rotor. Sexy!

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfer_rotors.html#top

Img_4517_K1200R_rotor.jpg

Img_4719_rotors.jpg

Img_4812_galfer_rotor.jpg

Img_4858_wave_rotor.jpg

All done with new shoes & ready to burn off another set. :cheerleader:

Img_4918_galfer_rotor.jpg

Img_4517_K1200R_rotor.jpg

Img_4719_rotors.jpg

Img_4812_galfer_rotor.jpg

Img_4858_wave_rotor.jpg

Img_4918_galfer_rotor.jpg

If you are serious about getting a tire machine, let me know and I will share the journey I made to get it down to a painless experience. I have the Harbor Freight. I have used the NoMar. I saved money on the HF set up but had to make a few adjustments to get where I am now. NoMar has all the bugs worked out, you pay more, but they have a great set up.
I can mount mine on a receiver hitch or bolt to the garage floor. I installed 4 anchor bolts in the floor. No mar now has a setup you drive a tire onto and no receiver hitch is required.
You can do the HF setup for half the cost of the NoMar. If I had to do it over, I probably would have done the NoMar. Only because I had a lot of trial and error to get where I am now. :laugh:

Our local shop charges 20 to mount and balance if you carry them in and 40 if it is on the bike, Not a bad price. I just carry mine in and a buddy that has worked there 18 years does them, So I know they are always done right.

Great price my dealer gets $100 a wheel.

I started out with big screwdrivers, graduated to a 14" steel rim I had, then bought the harbor freight rig. I've saved myself thousands of dollars.

For the newbies : be very careful, the brake rotors bend if you look at them, much less touch them, and that's a >$250.00 part :whistle:

I've heard/been told to keep moisture out of the inside of the tire. Makes the pressure fluctuate less due to temperature.

That is impossible unless you use nitrogen or C-02 to inflate them. Every compressor uses air from the atmosphere which contains moisture

I have the No-Mar classic. I figured with two bikes and two cars, it was time to start doing my own tires. The clincher was when the "expert" I had been paying to do my tires gouged the rear wheel on my cruiser.

The No-Mar was pricey, but it's nice to not be limited to shop availability and have the freedom to order the tires I want at a price that I can live with. Plus it gives me something to do when the weather doesn't cooperate.

I have been changing tires for friends lately. They bring me the wheels and I give them back 20 minutes later with fresh skins. Then they hand me six-packs. I love six-packs.

I have the HF stand and didn't do very well with it so I started going back to the Suzuki shop. Then they started "We can't get to them" stuff and I started shopping around again. Finally bought the No-Mar mount / demount bar and a couple of their clamps and am back in business. That bar does the trick.

How many of you change your own tires and what equipment do you use? pics would be helpful too. I think it's a rip off taking my bike to the shop to replace the rubber and end up paying $80 per tire which is rediculous.
I do. The final nail in the coffin was carring the wheel and tire in already off the bike and was charged $49 and change to mount and balance a tire onto the wheel.

Let me start by saying I have a friend who allows me to use his NoMar changer now which is much easier. But a little determination can go a long way, even though it may look a little redneck.

You'll need an imovable object. In this pic I used the front end bucket of my tractor, but you could use anything, bumper of a vehicle concrete steps etc, anything you can get the end of your lever under. In this pic the lever is a 6' landscaping timber. You'll also need a block of wood or plastic to break the bead, a short 2x4 block in this picture. Place something under the wheel to keep it off the concrete or out of the dirt, longer 2x4's in this pic.

Be careful to keep your bead breaker off the wheel its self to avoid scratches. By useing wood your less likely to get scratches even if it does slightly touch.
d203cc72.jpg

A thick piece of hard plastic hose from the plumbing section at Lowe's, I think this was 3/8" less then 50 cents. Split it lengthwise and it becomes your rim protector.
3a7e8215.jpg

I ended up useing shorter pieces so I could move them where I wanted them.
4d3c54c5.jpg

50/50 mix water/dish detergent. Use lots.
c5d798d8.jpg

Short block under your knees, depress sidewall, tire tools oppoisite and start working it off.
f031bfd8.jpg

Pry bars in this pic. Buy you some tire tools they are cheap and work way better.
4310ec5b.jpg

c7924b23.jpg

ffcc4c32.jpg

These are items that a lot of people will have in their shop/garage or can be purchased dirt cheap. As for the balanceing I used Dyna beads which I'm not a fan of but they worked ok.

I much prefer the tire changer method but I will go back to doing this before I pay $100 to have tires mounted when they are already off the bike. :moon::laugh:

I want the no-mar keep looking on Craigslist for someone wanting to get one cheap.

If you want to save a little yet not be changing them yourself, they charge much less if you just bring them the rim and the tire. You mount/dismount off your bike yourself will save you half of that $80...

I know I have to do something. I don't want to be at the mercy of the shop. I have to start doing the work myself, not just because of the money but it's good to know how to work on what you're riding.

I know I have to do something. I don't want to be at the mercy of the shop. I have to start doing the work myself, not just because of the money but it's good to know how to work on what you're riding.

+1 I feel yah

I want the no-mar keep looking on Craigslist for someone wanting to get one cheap.

If you want to save a little yet not be changing them yourself, they charge much less if you just bring them the rim and the tire. You mount/dismount off your bike yourself will save you half of that $80...

Check out the Cycle Hill. Cheaper, made by No Mar, same mount/dismount bar. I've seen No Mar at the IMS offering a show deal and also on e Bay with a little better price and free shipping.

1Wheel Peel beat me to it with the hillbilly bead breaker setup. Once I almost leveraged my Miata off the ground trying to break the bead on a particularly tough tire!!!

I've also used the "split tubing" technique he showed, but broke down last year and bought some gin-u-wine rim savers. Worth the $5. Buy the biggest tire irons you can plus at least one big spoon and you'll have enough for your needs for under $30.

Last hints... Spray on ammonia window cleaner works well as a lubricant to get the tire on. The lube will also help seal the tire to the rim when you inflate. And finally, I have seen guys get these things to seal and inflate with a hand tire pump, but I've only gotten that to work once. Since then I use a for real air compressor. Less work, more filling. :)

Check out the Cycle Hill. Cheaper, made by No Mar, same mount/dismount bar. I've seen No Mar at the IMS offering a show deal and also on e Bay with a little better price and free shipping.

+1. I bought the No Mar just because I wanted to be able to do the car tires too. The Cycle Hill is plenty for bikes, and is a good bit cheaper. Don't get sucked into accessories shopping. You don't need much more than the basic setup, the lube, and the mount/demount bar.

not that big of a deal, since I bought wheels and went 300mm I started taking them to the shop though.

The no mar changers are great. But if you do not have one buy the harbor freight bead breaker. The irons, protectors, Dyna beads from jake wilson. My wheels are painted when you break the bead cut the tire across with a knife then cut the bead with a pair hd cutters and pull them off.The tires go on much easier than they come off and less damage. you can get a gal of tire lube and brush from a tire dist in your area or wilson. i change mine this way and no damage and a lot cheaper.

On a side note I used Dina Beads in the Front and Rear on the Buell with the New PP. No Issues at all !!!!! 125MPH and not one shake :thumbsup:

I have a Black Widow tire changing stand, 4 rim protectors and 3 fifteen inch tire irons (the ones with the curved end to reach around the edge of the rim).

All I can say is that the first bite was as much of a beech as levering up the tire on my ZX-14 or Carrozzeria rim halfway around. Is there ANY drop center in the stock busa rim? There must be a little. The only way I got the iron to go in was to push the tire down to the center all the way around while working two irons together to get the first bite. If this is how it starts, I'm scared how this is going to end. ...and this is the rear wheel I'm working on.

I draped a rag way down in there to guide the tire iron in because there was NO WAY I would have avoided scraping the paint on the inside. :1zhelp: any tips?

I picked up a cheap bead breaker from harbor freight if I have to do tires at home. If I'am not in a hurry I just bring them to work and use the tire machine. Being an auto tech makes it easy to get use of a tire machine. A good friend of mine has a static balancer I can use any time. I can't see wasting money on something like getting tire's mounted and balanced. Honestly I can't see wasting money on any bike repair's unless I need something done at the machine shop.

Back