The GS Project - Lyla

cleaning up some parts, breaking the forks for powdercoaters. and separating the seat pan

n190400003_30003991_2991.jpg

n190400003_30003993_3804.jpg

n190400003_30003994_4140.jpg

n190400003_30003995_4484.jpg

n190400003_30003996_4832.jpg

hah.. it would make a cool present for the girl, lol.

Nah, it's all slowing down now.. some of the parts i need to buy are slightly expensive.. and I got a lot of cleaning of all the old crap.. looking like the whole project will cost around 2 grand now :)

untitled.JPG

Nothing worth updating about.. I put the new gaskets on the engine, everything looks in order. Gotta get the suspension powdercoated and some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and screws to replace the old crap. The engine is sitting in the living room however.. quite the cool look for the bachelor pad!

I like the retro too!!! You are in for a a lot to restore and fix. I did this 4 years ago with a 1984 yamaha 400 maxium for my first X. Fun bike, but tons of work. Carbs came a part 7 times and the tank had to be acid dipped and welded up from the rust inside. So much work. She only rode it for 6 months before she was screaming for a newer bike. he finally got an 2003 copper SV650.

Hah, been in Afghanistan for a long while now, not I do plan on starting again when I return home in May. I made sure all of the parts made it from NC to Ga.

Stripping her down for the powderCoater.. looooots of parts to buy! 9000ish original miles!

Wow, I saw your thread with the suzuki GS300L. Thats a D or an F model. The mufflers are removable and it sounds really effing cool without them:) I would recommend getting some length of pipe to lengthen up thew manifolds because they are too short without the mufflers and cold air will eventually get to the valves and could warp them... for the most results to buy parts, go to ebay and type in Suzuki GS300. Do not put the L on the end of GS300 because a bunch of lexus parts will come up. Just type Suzuki GS300. No year or anything either. All the parts will switch over between the 1982, 1983, and 1985 models except for pistons and rings and stuff like that. Exhaust systems are interchangeable. The voltage regulators are faulty on that model of bike. Just buy an aftermarket one. The symptoms of a bad rectifier/ voltage regulator, are loss of power or bogging. If it boggs, hit the blinkers and lay on the throttle, if the motor revvs up every time the blinker flashes, you have a bad rectifier. The top speed on mine was like 85 to 90 mph. I weighed like 230 pounds though. It will probably do 95 to 100 if you weigh under like 150 pounds. The bike has plenty of torque and is a wonderful starter bike. The CDI or ignition box is completely unfindable from anywhere. The part looks like a black box with a Mitsubishi logo on the front. IT is under the left side pannel. Take GOOD care of that part and make sure you always run the bike with the voltage regulator hooked up. The bike will run without the voltage regulator but it will send the wrong voltages back to various parts of the bike and can fry up some of your wiring harness. I would recommend getting clamp on mirrors from bikebarn.com They are chrome and they have plenty of visibility. The original spots to bolt the original mirrors onto on the handlebars are made of Illuminum and if they get any rust at all in there, the threads will strip right out. I hope this info helps you with your restore. If you have any questions or something is wrong and you can't figure it out. Tell me whats up and email me at iiipinkfloydiii@hotmail.com

Good luck man, and ride safe:thumbsup:

Wow Kitten Tooth !
Are you the original designer of that model or what ?
Talk about the Rain Man of GS300s it's you !
Incredible amount of knowledge that certainly came first hand as
I don't think you could google that blinker regulator tip !

Very nice .
:thumbsup::beerchug:

Wow, I saw your thread with the suzuki GS300L. Thats a D or an F model. The mufflers are removable and it sounds really effing cool without them:) I would recommend getting some length of pipe to lengthen up thew manifolds because they are too short without the mufflers and cold air will eventually get to the valves and could warp them... for the most results to buy parts, go to ebay and type in Suzuki GS300. Do not put the L on the end of GS300 because a bunch of lexus parts will come up. Just type Suzuki GS300. No year or anything either. All the parts will switch over between the 1982, 1983, and 1985 models except for pistons and rings and stuff like that. Exhaust systems are interchangeable. The voltage regulators are faulty on that model of bike. Just buy an aftermarket one. The symptoms of a bad rectifier/ voltage regulator, are loss of power or bogging. If it boggs, hit the blinkers and lay on the throttle, if the motor revvs up every time the blinker flashes, you have a bad rectifier. The top speed on mine was like 85 to 90 mph. I weighed like 230 pounds though. It will probably do 95 to 100 if you weigh under like 150 pounds. The bike has plenty of torque and is a wonderful starter bike. The CDI or ignition box is completely unfindable from anywhere. The part looks like a black box with a Mitsubishi logo on the front. IT is under the left side pannel. Take GOOD care of that part and make sure you always run the bike with the voltage regulator hooked up. The bike will run without the voltage regulator but it will send the wrong voltages back to various parts of the bike and can fry up some of your wiring harness. I would recommend getting clamp on mirrors from bikebarn.com They are chrome and they have plenty of visibility. The original spots to bolt the original mirrors onto on the handlebars are made of Illuminum and if they get any rust at all in there, the threads will strip right out. I hope this info helps you with your restore. If you have any questions or something is wrong and you can't figure it out. Tell me whats up and email me at iiipinkfloydiii@hotmail.com

Kitten Tooth,

Already ordered an aftermarket voltage regulator/rectifier as I read on a GS forum that it was the common thing wrong, and I figured I'd just start with a new part (I forget what it was from, some model ATV or other). My CDI / ignition box is in good condition, luckily. I've figured out the ebay trick.. and that's what it's been ever since then, slowly getting stuff ready for powder coating and searching out the smallest little parts. Any tips on somewhere I could just buy a full stainless steel bolt set for the whole bike?.. I don't want to have to go bolt by bolt on this thing cleaning them up.

Thanks for the info!

Make sure you remove frame ID tag on neck before it goes to the power coaters. Wardie

I just joined this site yesterday. I'm from the GSresources forum. I was googling GS300L Motorcycles and i saw you thread and pictures in google images and i had to say something. I owned my 82'GS300L Z model all last summer. I actually bought mine for 350 bucks too! Mine was in running condition though. The motor was solid. I painted the tank and re-covered the seat. The bike looked brand new after that. I took the mufflers off of mine after swapping the exhaust system off of a parts bike that i had bought. I saw the clamps on the mufflers and i tore them right off. I found out the hard way that the headers were too short:( I went on an 80 mile road trip with my dad to sioux falls from sioux city. ever since then there was always alittle white smoke coming out. I changed the spark plugs on it once and there was oil on them too. The bike still ran great and i sold it to a loving rich family that could fix whatever needed to be fixed:) sold it for 650 bucks. Doubled my money:cheerleader: The parts bike that i got the exhaust system off is being restored right now after i found a CDI box on ebay for like 100 bucks. Got a whole bunch of used parts for it off of ebay I just had the motor rebuilt by my mechanic. Honed cylinder, new rings and valve seals. There was no valve cover on the motor for like 20 years so water eventually got in there. Motor will be done soon and the bike will be back on the road in no time. Sorry for stealing your thread man:o Once again, good luck and ride safely:)

Good lookin' back Slatroni.. I like the rear shocks.. are they aftermarket?
I can't see the details, but I love the seatpan you have, is it custom or did you buy it online?
And lastly, do you throw sport bike rearsets on there?

:welcome: Kitten Tooth!
Great way to join up and jump right in offering up some help & advice for another member :thumbsup:
Hope to see you stick around & post up from time to time. Good luck w/ your current re-build.

Back