The GS Project - Lyla

standiggity

Registered
My new project, the GS named Lyla (Sorry whoever I promised I would name it Lyle.. it just looks like a female)

Rusty, nasty, horrible wiring job.. but it'll be striped to the frame this weekend! Price: 350$ and found it 17 miles away :)

n190400003_30003721_706.jpg

n190400003_30003722_976.jpg

n190400003_30003723_1255.jpg

Looks like you are a glutton for punishment.. :poke:

also looks like a fun project! :bowdown:

ya.. definitley a glutton for punishment.. and the girl needs a Hot bike next spring.. and I need something to keep me from going out every weekend.. everyone wins.. and its cheap! The whole bike only cost 350 dollars.

It isn't the price of the bike..it is the price of the restoration that is gonna get ya! :thumbsup:

It isn't the price of the bike..it is the price of the restoration that is gonna get ya! :thumbsup:

That's what I thought. How much $ do you think it will cost to make her nice? Does look like a fun project though and gives me a couple ideas.

That's what I thought. How much $ do you think it will cost to make her nice? Does look like a fun project though and gives me a couple ideas.

I'm probably going to end up under 1500-2000 total into the whole bike. Everything for this bike is so cheap.. the most money will be spent on a little bit of powdercoating (not much). The paint will be done by me, and the only thing that really needs painted is the gas tank. All the small parts will be rattle canned (battery box and stuff like that). Here is a picture of kind of what I want it to look like... although i'll probably put a seat on mine :)

36080331713_0_BG.jpg

ya.. definitley a glutton for punishment.. and the girl needs a Hot bike next spring.. and I need something to keep me from going out every weekend...

:thumbsup: That's what I was thinking when I started restoring my 78 KZ a couple weeks ago. I also have a best friend with a powdercoating business so that's mostly free. Mine looked to be a little cleaner than yours but it's got issues, too. So far the brakes are completely torn down and cleaned up waiting on powder this weekend. I was able to find all the rebuild kits for the calipers and master cylinders. next week I start on the carbs. Keep us posted on your progress.

oldKZ1.jpg

KZbrakC.jpg

I got drum brakes.. which of course.. suck.. but the cables are easier to deal with than hydraulics! Mine was definitley more dirty. The prior owner lived near the seat, so it has it's fair share of rust and Salt deposits all around it,.. but the engine is solid and the frame is in one piece.. and that's all that really matters.

I got drum brakes.. which of course.. suck.. but the cables are easier to deal with than hydraulics! Mine was definitley more dirty. The prior owner lived near the seat, so it has it's fair share of rust and Salt deposits all around it,.. but the engine is solid and the frame is in one piece.. and that's all that really matters.

All the aluminum on mine looks like you'd expect on a 30 year old bike. Luckily I have a bead blast cabinet at work that I can use - it's amazing how fast you can bring something back to life. This was accomplished in about ten minutes. This will be powdered black this weekend as well.

KZcover1.jpg

KZcover2.jpg

very nice.. wish I had the hookups.. but it's just little old me in my garage doing most of my work.. and payin' the premium for powder coating... (anyone got an oven and powder gun here in Jacksonville NC?)

That rocks... Looks like it will make a nice retro cafe racer. I'd love to have the space to do that. Don't forget to buy some SIMICHROME. If you don't know already, it works wonders on rusty chrome.

Last edited:
My back is freakin' killllling me!!.. but I got it taken apart all the way to teh frame.. just need to clean it up and get ready for some powder coating now! Here's the pictures from today!

n190400003_30003735_5823.jpg

n190400003_30003736_6210.jpg

n190400003_30003737_6546.jpg

n190400003_30003738_6870.jpg

n190400003_30003739_7195.jpg

n190400003_30003740_7526.jpg

n190400003_30003741_7863.jpg

n190400003_30003742_8201.jpg

n190400003_30003743_8531.jpg

n190400003_30003744_8874.jpg

Its gonna cost you ALOT more than you expect. But it sounds like you enjoy resto jobs, so that itself will be part of the value of the bike :thumbsup: You won't get out of it what you're going to put into it though...be prepared for that up front. But if its a keeper for your girl you'll have fun and look at it with pride when its done. Not many folks would take on a job like that.....rock on brother :laugh::beerchug:

Its gonna cost you ALOT more than you expect. But it sounds like you enjoy resto jobs, so that itself will be part of the value of the bike :thumbsup: You won't get out of it what you're going to put into it though...be prepared for that up front. But if its a keeper for your girl you'll have fun and look at it with pride when its done. Not many folks would take on a job like that.....rock on brother :laugh::beerchug:

I know I'll probably end up dropping more than I plan, i'm prepared for that. I have no plans of selling it, not a big market for old gs300's, lol. it's for my girl as her first bike... much more of a pride thing than anything like a "sound investment". It's also piece of mind that i'll be giving her a bike with just about everything new on it.. and 90% of bikers won't have any clue what bike it is. But.. the number 1 thing is.. it will keep me busy all winter until i buy my next busa, lol.

That rocks... Looks like it will make a nice retro cafe racer. I'd love to have the space to do that. Don't forget to buy some SIMICHROME. If you don't know already, it works wonders on rusty chrome.

No need to fix rusty chrome.. the only from the original that I'm keeping on it, isn't rusty.. everything else is getting ditched or powdercoated.

Back