Project Bike

Bronto

Registered
Full motorcycle experience by rebuilding a Motorcycle then riding it. To that end found a Haybusa at a salvage yard. Going to piece it back together over the winter. Plan on riding by next spring or summer.
Started out with the objective in locating a suitable project bike to tinker on over the winter months. Either a SportBike or Mortard suitable dirt bike.
The Bike had to be comfortable for larger folk. I don't want to feel like a bear on a tricycle. Kawasaki and Suzuki sportbikes look to fit the bill. Allways on the look out for a Triumph their beautiful bike comfortable for tall riders. Honda and Yamaha generally are small in the seating department.
Gone to five salvage yard within a 100 mile radius. One has huge acre lot with tons of bikes. I had gotten a motor from them this summer for the ZR7s. But when I went back few weeks ago they were closed on Monday. They were my first choice with the most to select from. But peering past Iron sliding gate with two rottweiler junk yard dogs wasn't a good idea. Next day went to two more local salvage yards.
Not expecting to find anything. Was looking for a project something more then replacing a fairing. They have many bike pieced together in running condition. Only a fairing or two replace or buff out. Basically scruffy looking used bike at a good price. Allot of vintage bikes and some cruisers.
First Salavage yard had a GSX 750R. Then engine was taken apart to replace a bearing. It's in a million pieces, but the fairings and bike were perfect shape. They plan to rebuild the engine and fitch a good price for it. Or I could rebuilt the engine save few bucks ($700). I liked it, was good had all the parts. Get to put it back together, yeah that'll work
biggrin.gif
OK seriously considering it. But there is one more slavage yard to go today.
Looking around the front the salvage bikes with only minor repair required. Had a ZX9 and a Yamaha R600. Looked interesting. R600 is way too small so No! forget that one. ZX9 was in too good a shape to be considered a project bike. OK asked the guy about anything requires some work to get it running. SportBike or dirtbike frames perhaps. He says - There's a few in the back come have a look.
In the back some cargo containers with some bikes parked in front. A pile of bike mass off to one side. Bunch parked neatly like theres a big rally of rat bikes. Honda liter bike laying on it's side, front forks bent from a head on. Some of the fairings were still good. OK Honda that's good. But advised the frame is likely bent around the steering. At minimum the frame would need laser straightening. Still could do that, what else is there.
Looking around noticed a red ZR7s just like mine. It's good shape started talking about how it's a fun bike. In the corner of the eye a bike laying on it's side on fork lift pallets, it changed the subject. Could see the frame is excellent shape. The guy concurred the frame is good. The Stator cover has Redwood tree bark stuffed in the cracked open cover. Aparently the crash slighted a redwood tree. If the rider was on it at the time, it's broken leg for sure.
Mainly checking out the frame. No dents, only a scratch on the swing arm. Could tell it wouldn't cause misalignment or damage to the swingarm. The wheels were great shape as well. Step back thinking for second hmm it's a Suzuki says so on the crushed in gas tank. Yeah they guy says, its a GXS1300R hayabusa.
Here posting, excuse my ignorance I didn't think anymore then Oh 1300 must mean the engine size. That's big! larger then the 750 or 1 liter. I automatically think large engine is the tamed down type put on street bikes. That the liter and smaller have the high preformance engines. I would think this until finding out what a hayabusa is later that night.
One thing the guy says. The engine is already sold and only the rest is available. Apparently the engine is sought after by midget car racers. An auto kit that includes everything that is required by the engine to run independly. That's OK let's get it. So go inside talk to the owner settle on a pirce for the bike minus the engine. Won't disclose project bike cost until job is done, it's a mystery
biggrin.gif
Just say good price on this amount of parts.
The bike will be at the yard until they get the engine taken off. I'm not in a hurry, it's time to locate parts on ebay and salvage yards in meantime.
One last look a closer inspection before putting a down payment. Looking even closer tracing back how the engine was impacted the slider bend. Checking the frame for cracks of vector forces from the imapct. All good, put 3/4rd's amount down payment. I got myself a Hayabusa what ever that is
biggrin.gif

Excited got project bike to tinker on. Seeing what information the internet has about the bike. Needless to say after few videos, pictures, feature and spec sheets later. Holy crap what have I done. I could barely sleep that night.
Went back the next week to get a few pictures. See what parts needed. Get a look how the engine is before it's taken out, to help when replacing it later with another one. I'm thinking that if they would like I could take the engine out for them. That way would really see how it came apart.
I know the pictures ain't pretty. It may turn your stomach seeing a busa in this condition. It's got new lease on riding again. Will keep updating this thread each major step during the project.
Thanks for interest in reading the story so far. Any info help would be appreciated. Already hayabusa owners group with manuals and maintaince section has helped allot. The forum helps cut through the experimentation phase and redundant parts. Expect to Mod the bike to best preformance without resorting to turbo.
Take the busa on weekly sport bike group rides through the local twristies and longer sport tour group rides. Keeping the ZR7s it's too fun to part with
biggrin.gif

Project photo album
http://public.fotki.com/Bronto/hayabusa_project/

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071623945 -->

031212hya01.jpg

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

that poor girl has it bad....gonna take alot of TLC and $$$ to get er in tip top shape.
rock.gif

That last hundred feet was the roughest of her street riding. I think could of riden out after the accident.
Already gotten some parts. Ebay is great first stop. Then to salvage yard hot line. Staying away from OEM new parts. Salvaging a bike is very cost effective.

Wow, now that is a project. Good luck and keep us posted. With a lot of bidding on ebay you can get lot's of parts.

congrats bro

i did something simaler
i bought a bone stock 00 busa with 10k miles that was layed down on left side
the motor was fixed (it lost all fluids during wreck)by a shop before i got it and the plastics and cosmitics were the only thing need doing
new paint, mirrors, cans for pipes and some maitnence
peices, tires, chain, brake pads, and one hell of a cleaning. he didnt ever understand the concept keep the bike clean.
i got the bike for 6 k
i got lucky cause i know the dude that bought it since it was new he wasnt much of a rider or bike abuser.
he never even went through a back tire in 10k miles (belive it).
the dude was like 40 and had DWIs so he drove like a grandma.
finally he got sick of the busa cause he said it dont corner and gave it to me for cheap (i think)
and since i have been slowly giveing it new life.
i say slowly cause im a college student so i dont have the money some do
any how your a man of my own heart
i did the same thing your doing and its a great way to get a good bike for cheap
and its also a way to get to know your bike
its a whole diffrent story from getting a new bike and riding it till it breaks and then taking the plastics off to fix it for the firdt time.
this way you know that bike when you get on it to ride.
its a good feeling.

good luck and hope to see you up date this project

BTW this site is also an excellent place to buy parts just ask the guys that post like crazy they will also help you out alot, they did me
thanks guys

good luck bro
g

if you look at the bike it still has all the reflocters and the mud flap that says he had no idea about the busa boards which means he or she was clueless about the busa beast

it must of been some one learning to ride
laugh.gif

they thought the busa is a begniers bike
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm no expert, but that bike looks like it took more than a small hit...it was in the bone yard for a reason....please make sure you have the chassis geometry checked by a qualified shop before you put it on the road.
Other than that....welcome!! Keep us posted on the progress.
smile.gif

g_calatean know what you means. Riding a bike you know every square inch of. Knowing it is excellent shape ready to rock. I plan on attacking and squaring corners. It's going to be a Sports Bike dam it, going to make it act like one
biggrin.gif
Bunch of gear shifting, wearing on edges of tires. The works
Heheh don't envy anyone ahead of me in the group rides. They could be doing the turns faster. Hayabusa will be taking bites out of their ass after ever turn. Geeze can't wait to get this thing running.

tbonebusa right about not a minor impact. Haven't got a good look at the right side yet. It's said to be OK frame wise.
At the salvage yard, their up front about what's wrong with a bike. On the Hayabusa its the engine. Saying it will need to be taken apart and checked. I have this other salvage bike riding now. First engine had simlar hit on the engine. Everything looked OK from the outside. Inside was a mess. Guide posts bent, crankshaft bushed shaattered. Crankshaft exterior end bent. I fixed it all used all same parts. It went for 5,500 miles before the crankshaft broke.
Insurance might of totalled the bike, for engine and fairing. Totalled cause cost of replacement exceeded value of the bike.

Update a shopping list of the obvious replacement parts. Ebayed the top front cowling, big find. It's scratched but no cracks. Got the right side fairing and both inner front fairings. Wondered about that one, didn't see any in pictures. Votage regulator, Oil cooler and radiator.
Bid on three engines, but either got outbidded or the engine was pulled from the auction for some reason.
More fairing, seats and engine parts to get. Will check the classified, know need muffler system and seats. Intially just going stock, cause everyone went aftermarket so they got those to sell. Get a fixit ticket down the road for aftermarket pipes, will have stock ones on hand. Heheh get it checked off then put the aftermarket back on. Too bad they don't rent stock mufflers for a day or two.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071964592 -->

You can find those stock cans real cheap. Try a local dealer. Lot of guys get the good pipes on and just leave the stock ones with the dealer. Mine tried to sell me 4 of em'!!
cool.gif

Yesss. .. We got Busa. Today after long wait on paper work. Picked up the Busa from the salvage yard. Picture is bike on trailer, pulled to side of road for tie down check. Pick up any nuts and bolts falling off. Made three stops in all.
Due to fact of paper work was in Probate. No previous owner can sign off. Salvage people strongly believe the previous rider was likely killed riding this Busa. A bit overwhelmed, and superstitious after hearing that. Another mortal reminder, most can do is try to keep things under control. Found the rider's pull over cold weather mask tucked away under the seat. Dad was saying sometimes accident vehicles will be chaulked full of blood and hair etc. There was none, bike and rider went seperate ways. Any lesson to gain from speculation. The Bike hit a tree and tree's don't grow in the middle of the road. OK thinking of taking the rebuilt busa to the an annual Motorcycle blessing in the City.
First time today got a chance to see the right side of the bike. Frame visually looks good. Will look closer in next few days.
The rear rim is toast. Taking two very hard on axis hits. Fracturing the rim over a ten inch length. A second impact on axis hit dented a 2" diameter half circle. Secondary and likely caused by these impacts the Dog Bones are both busted. Will see how they function to understand the impact better. The Swingarm and Frame pivot areas all look good. Serious inspection to these areas later.
Collected most of the fairings replacements. Expect to collect all dented, cracked or missing athestics. To get them painted and decaled. Taking time on the mechanicals, finding the best deal. Closer inspection of front forks there good.
Got a good frame to work with allways a good start.

040128cpx006.jpg

Use the force young Padwan!

I bought a busa with a "dismanteled" title, but it was running and I got to test ride it. Found out the odometer was wrong, said 2K but records in the tail indicated the 6th oil change a 7.8K (That's a bunch of oil changes!)

Have been piecing together the cosmetics, inners right fairing, hump, clutch lever etc...

This is the most Awesome bike on the planet!

Be meticulous and triple check everything. You are building a bike that just starts to giggle at 160! Your life is in her hands.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted!

Thanks Mike words of encouragement.
Did very close inspection the frame it's perfect shape. Not best of taste to gloat, got ahold of a nearly new frame. The indications lack of grease, road dirt, tire and brake pad wear. Collection of pictures posted @ http://public.fotki.com/Bronto/hayabusa_project/
Pictured of the rear rim badly busted up. Wheel rotates with some disc brake binding. Dog Bones both busted.
Front fairing mounting frame. Slightly bent at the upper left extention where the mirror bolts on. That's all can find in the metal bits and pieces. Subframe looks OK, Frame In/Out all OK. Forks and Swing Arm, looks good.
Pictured here with some fairing replacement parts tacked on. Be while before next up date. Waiting on warmer weather to paint up fairings. Waiting cause of slow collection of replacement parts. Meantime having to decide how to paint it. Leaning toward darker colors. Dual tone Dark and not so dark colors.
After that Time to find a motor.

40129hya089.jpg

Looks like fun - thanks for the update! If you could assemble a list of parts you need we could help keep an eye out for you. Keep us updated
cool.gif

I have the a fairing kit. Off of a 2001 Blue/Silver Busa. Front Cowling, Both Side Fairings, Gas Tank, and Rear fairing. Only missing parts are the Solo seat hump., front fender, and the lil wing under the busa. If your intrested, Ill sell for $800.00. Let me know.

Haya EPT, That's Heck of a deal. Just the fairings are fitching a grand on ebay. The tank 1-2 hundred. Heheh there's a bunch of us bike project buyers on there, knocking eachother out bidding on same stuff
biggrin.gif

Bronto, if you need stock pipes or windscreen (got two to choose from) or possibly a tank let pm me.

Back