Steering damper mod

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
After reading a 4 month old strand about modifying the Hay Bus steering damper, I did it this afternoon!
First, I didn't have to remove any parts, fairings, etc. I just reached up with a 1/4 drive socket and extension and 14mm open end to remove the damper.
Second, little star bit to take out the screw in the damper.
Third, plunged it back and forth a bunch to rid the damper of the OEM 5 wt fish oil!
Forth, immersed the damper into good detergent free 30 wt oil and worked it back and forth until no more bubbles.
Fifth, replaced the screw prior to taking it out of the oil.
Sixth, wiped it down and reinstalled it.

I CAN'T BELIEVE how great the steering now works! The damper feels like an upscale unit now for a $2 quart of oil (ck out the price for aftermarket dampers).

Raydog

Thanks Doyle I'm going to do this mod as well..
super.gif

Hey Doyle (it's fun doing that!) two points I didn't make...

use your hands to extend and contract the plunger when you remove it initially (mine actually had a weird little slipping 1/2 " of travel in its motion), then do it with the 30 wt. in it and suddenly it feels like a quality piece!

Also, I used one of those clear plastic ready made salad containers (cut the lid off) for the immersion tank....it then corner crimps well for pouring the 9/10's qt. of oil you didn't need back into the container for your lawnmower!

Take care Doyle.........................Doyle

I got an extra dampener and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet . Damn i'm lazy !

(frisbee @ Jun. 24 2007,23:31) I got an extra dampener and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet . Damn i'm lazy !
,,and you have been doing this HOW LONG, FRIZ!!??
biggrin.gif

BusasBurninOut1182753964.jpg

Too long bro !! this is Daniel (Goldenchild) testing a bike and mine at the strip in portland last month! Check out the northwest thread.

Sorry raydog , I don't mean to jack your thread .

drag_pir.jpg

Yeah, some say 90 wt., some say 40 wt.....the viscosity change from OEM "water" to my 30 wt. seemed like a significant enough jump for me....I didn't want to feel alot of resistance (like an adjustable dialed all the way up) so this is fine for me. Raydog

I don't know anything about the dampner, but I will ask the obvious question.

I would assume the manufacturer had a reason for 5W oil in there. I assume there are seals in there that may be only rated to a certain weight of oil.

Has anyone had long distance miles on there (1000 or more, since the mod) that can say what the dampner is acting like after a good solid trip (or preferably a year of solid trips)?

Good low cost mod as long as it's not going to jack up what I already have.

Nekosohana - good question!! I'm curious to hear if anyone has any decent seat time with this mod, cause I am interested in this mod as well.

I have 90w in mine with probably 2500 miles since the mod. No negatives at all. The bike feels more solid and manageable at speed. At slow speeds the change is negligible. This is an especially great mod (IMHO) if you are a bigger guy (6'2"/250lbs.)

Don

Couple of things for discussion.

Gear oils and motor oils are rated different. See the chart below.
90 weight gear oil is about the same as 40 to 50 weight motor oil.

Synthetic motor oils are going always have the split in the 15w50 5w30 etc.

If you use multi-weight oil all you are going to see is the low number. That 10w40 is going to always act like a 10w oil in your damper.

Oils will be fairly close to the same viscosity in this application for most people as most are fair weather riders on the bike from 65-100 degrees.

Some however, depending on where/when they ride, are going to see from 20-110 degrees.

So maybe a non-synthetic straight weight oil is better in the application? Well the problem with non synthetics is that the viscosity really goes up at lower temps. Put a can oil in the freezer and see how it pours at 25-30 degrees.

I’m running a aftermarket Damper but I think if I was going to do this mod, I would use a 85-140 or 80-90 synthetic gear oil.

visc.jpg

Attachments

• visc.jpg
    visc.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 43
Back