Those who put heavy oil in steering damper

IG.

Registered
The general suggestion is to replace stock oil in steering damper with a thicker one like 90W gear oil, to make the steering damper really work.

I have three questions for those who did it.

1. What did you notice (if any) during aggressive cornering - like when you drag your knee?

2. Did you experience direct affect of the damper - like when you set down a highspeed wheelie with a crooket front wheel, and the damper really saved your day?

3. Was the riding in sub-freezing temperatures (like 20 deg) any different from handling standpoint? (oil gets much thicker at those temperatures).

Thanks,
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

I had a steering damper on my GSXR7/11 back in 96, 97 and I had the oil changed in it. The steering was a little more controlled at high speeds and alot better when I was on Lincoln Drive, the twisties. In the fall and winter, it was hard to steer so I took it off. If you do it, I would no ride in the winter with one because the oil is like molasses. My 2 cents.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info!

I actually put the damper in the freezer to test it. Much more difficult to move. If that becomes a problem during cold season, I may decide to get another damper, fill it with thinner "winter" oil, and put it on during cold season.:)

Hey, anyone else has a feedback?

no differences best i acan tell... never used the onethat was on it anywhere other than the rack... havent been back with the 'busa yet.. so i dunno...

not sure it was the effort really yet... i don't ride in no 20 degrees so i could care less about that.

The general suggestion is to replace stock oil in steering damper with a thicker one like 90W gear oil, to make the steering damper really work.
I wonder what the stock oil weight is. You might be surprised to know that the viscosity of 90 gear oil varies. The charts have it covering near the same range as 40 and 50 motor oil! Most cartridge suspension fluids are in the 5-10 wt range.

I took out the stock and poured it in a glass, and poured the one I got (Synthetic 80w90), and then moved both glasses at the same time - noticeable difference in viscosity. I also put both glasses in the freezer for like 30 min, and compared after that - well both got noticeably thicker. Then, I took the damper with the new oil, and put it in the freezer for like 1 hour. Then, took it out, and tried with my bare hands. I could move it, but it was noticeably more difficult than at room temperature.

Back