Steering damper

Sir T Rex

Registered
I know the Busa's come with a steering damper or atleast the new ones i have seen...not quite sure about the older ones...

Has anyone taken the stock one off and put an aftermarket one on? For those who have had or used an aftermarket damper, do you like it better or do you like the stock one better?

mines an aftermarket... All busa'a come with a factory damper. Once they start to fade or if you need more stiffness alot of people swap the fluid to 90w. I had done that but then I wanted more adjustability so I went aftermarket. I'm very happy with the damper but I want to mount it back in the stock location. It may not be as easy to adjust but at least it wouldn't have to come off every time I need to raise the gas tank...

P3272303.jpg

P3272282.jpg

Not worth rebuilding a stock damper once its old/worn out.

So aftermarket dampers are good for replacing old stock ones or if you want adjustability.

Commuta_busa.... Noticed in your pic that you replaced the OEM instruments cluster... That seems like one nice display! Can i have more info on what you've done!?!

Thanks...
race.gif

isnt that a stack instrument panel ? Awesome set-up but bet it took plenty of $$$$ to get it

anybody got details on switching the stock fluid to the 90w in the stock damper ?

Actually , i'm looking for a walk through on doing that too! I got an extra dampener for just that reason . I do remember that someone said all you had to do was open it up push out the fluid then submerge the hole and pull the arm so it sucks the new 90w in. You should be able to feel if you have any air in it.

mines an aftermarket... All busa'a come with a factory damper. Once they start to fade or if you need more stiffness alot of people swap the fluid to 90w. I had done that but then I wanted more adjustability so I went aftermarket. I'm very happy with the damper but I want to mount it back in the stock location. It may not be as easy to adjust but at least it wouldn't have to come off every time I need to raise the gas tank...

P3272303.jpg

P3272282.jpg
If you decide to sell your mounting brackets let me know,i have the same tree.

I am not Commuta but I believe that is an AIM MXL dash system.  I don't know which one, but I do know that the least expensive one runs about $1k.

PS:  Not tryin' to Ho on your post.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145281757 -->

Looks awesome, Hey Commuta, how about a couple of pics with that thing fired up.     Both in daylight and dark if you can swing it.  Thanks  
biggrin.gif

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: "Beggin' for Pics....."|1145249881 -->

sorry guys I didn't want to jack this thread with dash questions, but to many have asked... The dash is from AIM sports. It's from the MXL line of products they have. It's not just a dash though it's also a datalogger. It's got lots of channels, very high log rates, and tons of logging time. What I also like is that you can setup the warning lights based from different sensors and it has a progessive programmable shift lights. I don't have any pics of it on though... I'll have to click a few off and post them. It's not cheap but based on my needs it was this or the motec. The motec costs alot more...

Golden - I just modified the stem mounting bracket so it would fit the tripple. You can do the same. The only reason why I did it was because no one had the mount to keep it in the stock location.

back on subject...

to replace the fluid in the stock damper you need a tork (sp) key and a syringe/turkey baister. Un screw the screw on the damper and pump out all of the oe fluid. Then add new fluid, pump/stroke it (the damper) to force out all of the air bubbles, keep adding fluid and repeat. Depending on the fluid you use (wt) it'll get harder to stroke once most of the air is out.

<!--EDIT|Commuta_Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145277963 -->

CB,I like the dash also,the kit I have has a plate you mount to a stock tree with two longer bolts.I made a bushing for my extra ohlins to mount in stock location...I will put mine up for sale and get the one you got and trim the new one to fit.

GC, yea you have the older style mount vs the one that I have is the newer version... I still would rather have the mount so it can go in the stock location though. Every time I need to get under the tank I have to take it apart... Any time I work on my bike it's the first thing to come off and always the last thing to go back on.

Mine was removed before I bought the bike, and now I want to get one. I can not figure out the reasoon for removal. Has anyone got a Scott one for sale, or at least tried it?

Back