Front end vibration...

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Particulars...
2002 BUSA, 10,500 miles.

Problems...
So, i've got this noticeable side-to-side vibration at different speeds, very noticeable if i speed up to about 60mph, let go of the bars and let it deccelerate and just watch it. It gets bad. Also, any speeds above 110 on my speedo i can feel the vibration.

I DID swap out that crappy oil from the steering damper and replace it with a 90W gear oil. It wasn't til bout 3 week AFTER i replaced the steering damper oil that I had the front tire pulled by the shop and swapped out. Rode on that new tire (Shinko) for about 65 miles, didnt like it, brought it back, swapped out to a new DUNLOP Q and as soon as I pulled out of the shop, i noticed the vibration.

At first I thought the front wheel might be out of balance (since i didnt see any balancing weights on the wheel anywhere,) but he said thats impossible since they use DYNABEEDS and it should balance fine. After the trip up there today, he doesnt even pull it in the back, makes me stand it up, walk it backwards 5 ft, and forwards 5 ft, and said the wheel and tire look fine.
HIS diagnosis is that either my steering damper has gone bad, or my triple clamp needs to be tightened (i've never even touched the triple clamp).

Anyone have any really good educated guesses or thoughts as to what my problem is here?? I want to get an idea of what you all think before I go to takin stuff apart on the front end. UNfortunately I dont have access to a front wheel tool to remove it, will be investing in one very soon though.

HELP!!! Thanks!
thumb_up.gif

yes runeight, shop did the front tire swap, removed and installed themselves and the vibration was felt IMMEDIATELY after I left the shop.

Maybe disconnect the damper to see if that is the problem?

Good luck getting it worked out though!

If it is from the front wheel, there are a few possibilities. First, for motorcycles, there should be 1 oz of Dyna Beads in the front wheel (enough for you to hear a slight swish when the bike is rolled) - and you might want to ask him why he used dyna beads without consulting you first?

Anyway, how many miles are on the bearings in the rim? Also, how do the rotors look? When I change my tires, I remove the rotors to prevent damage.

What you could do is remove the damper and try to hand compress it, maybe it is bad, but I have never seen that...

Its very possible that you my need to repalce the steering bearings. Is the bike wheelied a lot,,, and hard landings?

Also when you install your front wheel, is the axle hard to put thru to the other side, or does it slide wright in?

yes runeight, shop did the front tire swap, removed and installed themselves and the vibration was felt IMMEDIATELY after I left the shop.
Get the front up on a stand

put something on the ground that is stable

get it as close to the tire as you can without it touching and now spin the tire..

do this from the side and the front..

looking for any inconsistency in the runout on either part of the tire

if the problem started with the tire swap, I would be right back at it...

I would have turned around immeadiately and made them fix the issue. If the problem began after the tire swap, it is most likely the issue. You could have got a bad tire, it may not be balanced. There are several factors that could cause that.

I am so glad this was posted, Chemist because I'm starting to notice a slight wobble in the front of mine also. It seems as if there's a little more play room if that makes any sense and mine's an 03 with over 20,000 miles. I'm glad you brought it up because it makes you nervous, doesn't it? Mine does it when I really get on it in first and when I go to shift into second it wobbles ever so slightly and I notice it in the handlebars. Then I notice a slight wobble/ shimy when I make some turns like the front wants to go in the opposite direction but it corrects itself. It's an ever-so-slight movement.

I hope these guys can help you fix your problem becuase I'm very interested to see what the deal is. Keep us posted on your outcome and good luck!

i dont think your dampner would be acting up all the time and causing the problem you are descibing, im thinking they either put a bad tire on for you or did not get it balanced carrectly. just my 2 cents

I am so glad this was posted, Chemist because I'm starting to notice a slight wobble in the front of mine also. It seems as if there's a little more play room if that makes any sense and mine's an 03 with over 20,000 miles. I'm glad you brought it up because it makes you nervous, doesn't it? Mine does it when I really get on it in first and when I go to shift into second it wobbles ever so slightly and I notice it in the handlebars. Then I notice a slight wobble/ shimy when I make some turns like the front wants to go in the opposite direction but it corrects itself. It's an ever-so-slight movement.

I hope these guys can help you fix your problem becuase I'm very interested to see what the deal is. Keep us posted on your outcome and good luck!
Hunmm might be time for some new wheel bearings and a tripple tree bearing check or re-torque thats what i would look at first.

Its very possible that you my need to repalce the steering bearings. Is the bike wheelied a lot,,, and hard landings?
Hey GIXER, no wheelies AT ALL on my BUSA. 40th sprocket and dropped 2" in the rear, this front end doesnt want to come up.

I will get under it tonight and try BOGUS's thing, see if there is any play in the front.

Thank you all for the input, will keep workin at it and keep ya'll posted

you are looking for play but also any "wobble" when you spin the tire.. the stationary object is just a reference point..

You know this brings back a tank slapper I had on my CB900F... had a warped rotor (forgot that one)

Watch the tread pattern on the tire as well... a broken belt in the tire should be visible both ways... just glad you did not find this issue when it was too late!

Gee..if it did it after the tire change then would it not be a front tire problem? Only other thing is the front axle was not installed and torqued properly.

r8

Well this is my theroy and only mine I say pull the stinking tire get rid of those Dyna Beads and put some wheel weights on the wheel the roll it and see how it works out. If that does not Work then Check your Steering head and make sure every thing is torqued to spec. IMHO I do not think it is your actual wheel or Steering Dampner but they can not be ruled but I would check the first things I mentioned first.

Back