Stock Busa Steering Damper....Opinions?

goblinsix

Registered
So what do you folks think of the stock steering damper in the 09 Busa? Is it any good? I am used to Ohlins units. Do most of you remove the stock unit and throw on another stabilizer?

I don't want any tank slappers out there:-)

I haven't had any problems with my stock 09 but I've never had a tank slapper happen on any bike I've driven.

Stock damper is for show, does very little, I took mine off and found I could work it by hand. It had very little resistance.
Left it off when I installed the GPR. :thumbsup:

I don't like any stock dampener...just me~!~

Don't usually work that well on 750's or liter bikes when it comes time for it to do something~!~ That being said...the Busa is a lot more stable~!!~

I use the GPR on the Busa

The damper on my 08 was, at best, okay with the stock BT-015's. I'm running PP2CT's now, and it just can't keep up. I'm in the process of ordering a solution...

Scotts Damper Hayabusa.jpg

80w90 gear oil in the stock damper works for me. I had a really bad tankslapper with original oil in - on the track, after the front got light for a moment going about 110 over a bump in the wet while leaned some - it wasn't pretty.

Sorry for my NON mechanical brains....but what is the job of the damper???? I mean, what it does and what is there for???? I seen bike with out it... ???

Ok, sounds like the GPR is the ticket. Thanks guys.

Ohh yes...a steering damper is basically a "shock absorber" for the rotation of the steering unit. During a tank slapper the front can "slap" from left to right violently causing loss of control. The handlebars essentially slaps back and forth. The damper keeps the front from going back and forth in a violent motion. That is what it is for primarily, and there are a few different types.

Like it, mild head shake a few times. Bottom line is no dampener will completely remove the possibility of head shake so it is a matter of cost vs return and the intended use of the bike. Knowing how to deal with head shake is probably more important than which dampener is best.

I dunno... my stock damper saved my butt tonight on the 405. I hit something, hard, in the lane at 80 and fully expected the mother of all tank slappers. Just a tiny split second wobble and she was just fine.

Need to clean my seat tomorrow, though.

Did the damper oil change this last weekend. Used 75-90 Amsoil I had left over. The steering is much stiffer. Haven't ridden yet, still swollen from surgery...........

Back