Steering damper mod

i'm gonna go with no one used a cleaner, from the looks of it.
beerchug.gif

not much reason to use any cleaner and in fact it could cause trouble (some seals do not like any solvents at all)... just stick with the oil, any residual is not going to have much if any effect.

just wondering.When you screw back the bleeding screw after refiling.When the damper is wide open or fully depressed?

Micbusathens, good question! I made sure the internal plunger end was at the compressed open end of its run just before sealing it up. If you work it back and forth while submerged in the final oil....and there are no more bubbles, I don't think it matters since the final oil exists on BOTH sides of the plunger mechanism inside after sealing it up.
BTW, don't forget to put a codder pin in the little security hole on the threaded mounting shaft! I can't imaging the horror of temporarily "locking up" my steering ability because of a damper unit hanging from one mounting position and wedging somewhere under the fairing!

Raydog

(raydog @ Oct. 05 2007,19:47) Micbusathens, good question! I made sure the internal plunger end was at the compressed open end of its run just before sealing it up. If you work it back and forth while submerged in the final oil....and there are no more bubbles, I don't think it matters since the final oil exists on BOTH sides of the plunger mechanism inside after sealing it up.  
BTW, don't forget to put a codder pin in the little security hole on the threaded mounting shaft! I can't imaging the horror of temporarily "locking up" my steering ability because of a damper unit hanging from one mounting position and wedging somewhere under the fairing!

Raydog
yeah!!!it figures.Thanks for the additional details also.I ll try it soon with your preferances of oil.30w white power fork oil will be quite good.as a matter of fact my choice would be 15 to 20w.Compared with oem 5w its still a big difference.I dont want to sacrifice the abillity of changing directions rapidly(the weak point of Busas)for a bulletlike riding which is very satisfactory up to now with no mods at all!
wink.gif
got me?

(micbusathens @ Oct. 05 2007,16:46)
(raydog @ Oct. 05 2007,19:47) Micbusathens, good question! I made sure the internal plunger end was at the compressed open end of its run just before sealing it up. If you work it back and forth while submerged in the final oil....and there are no more bubbles, I don't think it matters since the final oil exists on BOTH sides of the plunger mechanism inside after sealing it up.  

Raydog
yeah!!!it figures.Thanks for the additional details also.I ll try it soon with your preferances of oil.30w white power fork oil will be quite good.as a matter of fact my choice would be 15 to 20w.Compared with oem 5w its still a big difference.I dont want to sacrifice the abillity  of changing directions rapidly(the weak point of Busas)for a bulletlike riding which is very satisfactory up to now with no mods at all!
wink.gif
got me?
it's not that tight. I just did the dragon with the mod. No problems getting around the turns.

(rockadaous @ Oct. 05 2007,21:26)
(micbusathens @ Oct. 05 2007,16:46)

Raydog
yeah!!!it figures.Thanks for the additional details also.I ll try it soon with your preferances of oil.30w white power fork oil will be quite good.as a matter of fact my choice would be 15 to 20w.Compared with oem 5w its still a big difference.I dont want to sacrifice the abillity  of changing directions rapidly(the weak point of Busas)for a bulletlike riding which is very satisfactory up to now with no mods at all!
wink.gif
got me?
it's not that tight.  I just did the dragon with the mod.  No problems getting around the turns.
your preference was 30w too?Sorry for asking ...but Dragon is a place with twisty roads?Never been at the states
sad.gif

Based on my experience with non detergent 30 wt. oil, I would suggest you use 40 wt. 30 wt. is fine for me (and I ride really hard) but I'd probably opt now for the tinyest bit of additional damping (ie 40 wt). Not so much of a deal that I would change out my 30 wt. though! I hope that helps. Doyle (Raydog)

Back