steering damper help

dsmdave

Registered
hi all just question about steering damper mod, by changed to heavier oil in it. when you submerse the damper in the oil to get the oil in. how do you submersed it? the whole damper have to be submerse? or just the end where the filler hole is? and just before you put t10 tox back on does damper has to be fully extend? cause wanted to do mine this winter. i'm sure lot member here did it did some reading but nobody mention how to submerse it. please shine in. thank you. dav.

When you remove the screw make sure the small plastic washer comes out too. Place the damper in a disposable tuperware type pan with 1 quart of your chosen oil. Open hole needs to be face down. Wear gloves, work it back and forth alot making sure not to suck the bubbles back in ... Also I found found even when it was done, the pressure made it move back when I pushed it away from the bracket.

i just cut the top of a bottle of the oil and put the holeside down and pumped the piston until all the air was out

+1 on what Kento said. Just keep working the damper back and forth until you no longer see bubbles. Take you time, it can be messy if you rush. I left my extended when I put the plug back in it. Be sure have plenty of paper towels to clean of the damper. Good luck.

p.s. i went straight 30wt and redid it to straight 40wt. perfect for ME.

90w for me. no gloves, no shirt... getting the screw back into the hole while submerged is a little bit of a trick... kept loosing the screw at the bottom of the oil cup.

mike

+1 It can take some time if you use 140w oil
smile.gif

....and don't forget to have some kerosene or other mild solvent nearby, for wiping that baby off.
I use 90 wt.
It works perfectly, which leads the question...
...why have I spent $475.00 bucks on a HyperPro damper?
sadnews.gif

Back