Squid Bikers..NO GEAR NO RESPECT!?!?

I've been in two nasty crashes in 45 years and all the gear in the world wouldn't have prevented the broken bones(right femur,pelvis,left hand,etc.).If you ride like a jackass by all means wrap yourself in a cocoon because you're going to need it,show some common sense and you may never go down regardless of what you're wearing.I dress to be comfortable and enjoy myself,not to worry about how much skin I'm going to lose in the anticipated and inevitable crash most people seem to be concerned about,if I was that worried I think I'd stick to driving a car.Wear whatever makes you feel protected and safe if that's what it takes for you to enjoy your ride,I don't have a my way or the highway opinion.

I guess maybe I'm just too old school,I also don't wear rubber gloves when I change my oil.:thumbsup:

did you have any gear on when you crashed those 2 times?

I go out everytime wrapped up like a burrito full leathers when I know it will be a fast Busa ride and textile full gear when i go for a slow fun ride on my Vmax , Been down 3 times in 35 years , Learned the first time when a van turned and crossed the road infront of me then stopped that jeans rip right the F off your leg( No real gear that you could buy then). the other two were with gear . One was at 15 mph it was 90' out when i came around a turn on a Vmax hit a new tar strip and front went right out on me. The other was in 03 New Black and silver Busa . It was November in NY cold day car pulled out of side street infront of me hit the breaks front tire washed out ,full gear but broken collar bone. Never ride after Oct in NY anymore roads are too cold for tires

Seems like the real underlying subject is "To what degree do we/should we get involved in someone else's (personal) decisions in order to protect them from themselves". Its been further stretched to include protecting all of us from any potential 'bad' personal decisions made by the individual 'fool'. This wasn't much of a subject of discussion (and certainly not an issue) 75-100 years ago. Because we were more 'truly free' back then. Why should anyone have any right to dictate what anyone else wears? There's in element of our society (the nanny state) that thinks its their responsibility to observe, comment, legislate, and enforce regulations that limit me so that I cannot hurt myself (or, potentially, someone else) in any way. Seatbelts, helmets, motorcycle clothing, guns (and gun ammunition magazines), trans fats, 'excessive' sugar, fuel consumption, etc. If you really think about it there's hundreds, if not thousands, of examples of these limits currently in place in our culture. And there's probably that many more that are under discussion.
Problem is this is the classic 'slippery slope'. Where does it end once it gets started and builds up a head of steam? Totalitarianism. I don't care what you wear when you ride. You shouldn't care what I wear. It's still a personal decision. Let's keep it that way. Find something else to be concerned with - on your own property. Remember, one of the things that the do-gooders will quickly glom onto when they're looking for a new 'dangerous problem' to correct is vehicles that are unnecessarily fast and powerful. Hayabusas speed restricted to 75 mph anyone?

Seems like the real underlying subject is "To what degree do we/should we get involved in someone else's (personal) decisions in order to protect them from themselves". Its been further stretched to include protecting all of us from any potential 'bad' personal decisions made by the individual 'fool'. This wasn't much of a subject of discussion (and certainly not an issue) 75-100 years ago. Because we were more 'truly free' back then. Why should anyone have any right to dictate what anyone else wears? There's in element of our society (the nanny state) that thinks its their responsibility to observe, comment, legislate, and enforce regulations that limit me so that I cannot hurt myself (or, potentially, someone else) in any way. Seatbelts, helmets, motorcycle clothing, guns (and gun ammunition magazines), trans fats, 'excessive' sugar, fuel consumption, etc. If you really think about it there's hundreds, if not thousands, of examples of these limits currently in place in our culture. And there's probably that many more that are under discussion.
Problem is this is the classic 'slippery slope'. Where does it end once it gets started and builds up a head of steam? Totalitarianism. I don't care what you wear when you ride. You shouldn't care what I wear. It's still a personal decision. Let's keep it that way. Find something else to be concerned with - on your own property. Remember, one of the things that the do-gooders will quickly glom onto when they're looking for a new 'dangerous problem' to correct is vehicles that are unnecessarily fast and powerful. Hayabusas speed restricted to 75 mph anyone?

Wish it would let me "like" more than once.

That could have happened to anyone walking through the parking lot, tripping, and hitting their head. Should we all wear helmets when walking through parking lots?

That could have happened to anyone walking through the parking lot, tripping, and hitting their head. Should we all wear helmets when walking through parking lots?

anyone? really? come on get real. use common sense. its meant to illustrate the need to wear at least a helmet. More people die in the home falling down the stairs than ....etc blah blah blah. You dont want to fine who gives a sht. go ahead. I presented this actual incident to give some perspective on the subject. If you can equate that to someone walking through the parking lot then maybe you already crashed without your helmet on and the story is lost on you

:laugh: In my first 30 years of riding I never even knew of anyone's gear consisting of more than a leather jacket(no helmets),I thought all that fancy stuff was just for racetracks(until I moved to CA,where every curved road is evidently considered a racetrack).:laugh:

Hold on a minute Jeff! you forgot the ultimate protection of Oakley sunglasses LOL !!!!!!!!

:laugh: What's goin' on over your way these days Bobby B,haven't seen you since that big bike night(then again,you haven't seen me either:laugh:)?

Fellas and that means gals too. This debate on gear is as old as the debate about oil...Amsoil is the best by the way...lol... Im not suggesting that everyone should be leather-ed up like your entering a motogp race but im also not in support of the... dressing like a gay pirate group type riders with the Harley bandanna helmets. I think that a helmet should be required in every state just like seat belts. The arguments against it are just as asinine as the arguments were against seat-belts. That said I will leave you with this example. One of many I suspect but it is I think by far the simplest and most striking example of why wearing a helmet is so important.
This did happen here in Dayton Ohio back a few years ago..... A young man went to visit a friend about buying a motorcycle from him. I don't think he was an experienced rider but anyway. He met his friend in a parking lot and asked to ride the bike around just in the parking lot to try it out. So he rode it around for a few and all was fine. Now no helmet on. Why would he need it ? it is just in the parking lot for goodness sakes. Well he pulled up and stopped to get off the bike. When he did he lost his balance and fell off the bike backwards and in the process just so happened to hit his head on one of those parking block things you pull your car up too.. well if that wasn't bad enough there was some steel post sticking up out of it. That's where his head made contact. Killed him.
But he was just in the parking lot so no need for gear right? While this is an extreme example it is nevertheless a real life and in his case death example of WHY wearing a helmet is important.
The more gear the better obviously but i understand why people don't want to wear full leathers every time you get on the bike and i understand the whole its my choice thing. Hey people make dumb decisions all the time but I just refer you to the above example and ask you how that whole freedom of choice thing would look to you if it were you in that situation taking in those final breaths. I wonder if you would be thinking about how it was your choice and the freedom to not wear a helmet or would you be thinking of how much of a waste this was as you watch your life pass right before your eyes and you get to think of all the things you never did, will never do and the people that love you and the pain you will leave them with.

Just food for thought.

While I agree with you on what you said, Have you ever seen the program "1001 Ways to Die"? Fluke accidents happen all the time. Like your no helmet story.
We all know that motorcycling is more dangerous than riding in a vehicle - like 33 times more dangerous - but we all ride, knowing there is a risk.
However there is a risk in almost everything we do to some extent. Over or under eating will kill you too, right. Has Smoking ever killed anyone?
Do smokers know the danger - YES _ but they still smoke - Maybe like we still ride knowing the danger.

My point is that there are no guarantees in this life except death and taxes and when your number is up, there is nothing you can do about it.
I ride with a helmet but I know if I hit a tree there is a good chance that will be the last thing I do. So it's my choice to ride. But everyone else has that choice to make too.
How they gear up is also their choice and I'm for that as there are way to many stupid laws on the books today that take away choices from us.

While I agree with you on what you said, Have you ever seen the program "1001 Ways to Die"? Fluke accidents happen all the time. Like your no helmet story.
We all know that motorcycling is more dangerous than riding in a vehicle - like 33 times more dangerous - but we all ride, knowing there is a risk.
However there is a risk in almost everything we do to some extent. Over or under eating will kill you too, right. Has Smoking ever killed anyone?
Do smokers know the danger - YES _ but they still smoke - Maybe like we still ride knowing the danger.

My point is that there are no guarantees in this life except death and taxes and when your number is up, there is nothing you can do about it.
I ride with a helmet but I know if I hit a tree there is a good chance that will be the last thing I do. So it's my choice to ride. But everyone else has that choice to make too.
How they gear up is also their choice and I'm for that as there are way to many stupid laws on the books today that take away choices from us.

i understand the choice argument. but in the case of a state law requiring helmets its a no brainer to me.. no pun intended. no offense but your... my choice argument at least with regards to helmets to me is the same as the seat belt argument i alluded to earlier. But in the end it is about choice. You are right. I dont want to see anyone especially here on the forum hurt or killed. Im not sure what stupid laws you are referring to since you did not give an example but I dont thing the requirement of wearing a helmet is one of them. And I still dont see an argument against it aside from the stand by .. its my choice.....
be safe
ride safe

anyone? really? come on get real. use common sense. its meant to illustrate the need to wear at least a helmet. More people die in the home falling down the stairs than ....etc blah blah blah. You dont want to fine who gives a sht. go ahead. I presented this actual incident to give some perspective on the subject. If you can equate that to someone walking through the parking lot then maybe you already crashed without your helmet on and the story is lost on you

Your "common sense" says that the government should pass laws to force people to wear helmets even though the government has no legal or moral authority to tell people what to do with their OWN LIVES, as long as what the people do does not affect others in a negative way. Is it illegal to punch yourself in the face? Stupid ... yes, illegal ... no. "Common sense" according to you is that the government should pass laws to keep us safe from ourselves. So by that logic, guns are unsafe ... ban all guns, the max speed limit is 75 mph ... require car and bike makers to limit all vehicles produced to 75 mph, obesity is killing people ... make unhealthy food illegal, etc.

Unfortunately, the government thinks just like you do, so enjoy the Nanny State you seem to want to live in if it comes to pass. Some of us don't need to be TOLD how to live our lives.

shifty im gonna craft my response to your comment as carefully and politely as i can. Im no fan of the nanny state. your argument lacks merit and as i said common sense. you are equating things as equal in measure that are clearly not..guns? speed limits? obesity ...???? your illogical rant of irrelevant comparisons to strengthen your argument simply proves mine. and as far as the punching yourself in the face idea .. being all stupid ... well ill let you decide on that. Im done with this conversation about helmets. my comment stands and its based on a common sense approach and using a little logic. its not drama nanny state BULL **** your trying to connect it to. The sky wont fall and the sun will rise tomorrow with a requirement of wearing helmets. It also will even if there isn't. The question is if you will be there to see it.

im out

Well, allow me to retort :D

I wear a helmet every time I ride. When I lived in Texas I always rode with a helmet, even though the government there understands that they can not legislate people's personal lives and there is no helmet law. God bless Texas :D . I have a family who depends on me. They value my life and so do I, but there are many people out there who are only responsible for themselves. You may think people who ride without protective gear are idiots. That is fine. I spent ten years of my life serving this country and fighting to preserve your right to believe whatever you want. But by the same token, people have the right to do whatever they want with their own lives. Life, liberty, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. And if an individual's perception of happiness is riding with the wind in his hair, then who are you or anyone else to deny him when he is not hurting anyone?

LOL! MY arguments lack merit?!? Illogical rant? OK ... :rofl: Your original argument that someone falling down in a parking lot and dying because he was not wearing a helmet is actually the one with ZERO merit. Your argument actually shows that a fatal injury can happen at any moment regardless of the circumstances. Your argument actually works against you. If you would have said he had a low speed crash and died then you might have had a leg to stand on, but not really. I know you don't get it, and that is fine. Not everyone has the ability to use logic as a tool to understanding an issue, those are the people who rely exclusively on "common sense". But anyone with any experience with rhetoric or forensics will understand my points very clearly.

Your "common sense approach" just means you prefer to think just like the rest of the drones in our society. I, however, prefer to think for myself. :D

:laugh: What's goin' on over your way these days Bobby B,haven't seen you since that big bike night(then again,you haven't seen me either:laugh:)?

Work Work and more work Big Dawg! I was going to the bike night at the pizza place in Riverside tonight but, I cracked a sixer after my Sunday canyon blast :-(
I was thirsty

Work Work and more work Big Dawg! I was going to the bike night at the pizza place in Riverside tonight but, I cracked a sixer after my Sunday canyon blast :-(
I was thirsty

:laugh: I'm not gonna make it either bro,if they'd host one on Thurs.,Fri.,or Sat. nights I'd probably make it but not on a Sun. when I get up Mon. mornings at 3:30AM to get ready for work.Went out this morning at 7:00AM and got a few miles in so I'm good now for the week.:laugh:

Back