Squid Bikers..NO GEAR NO RESPECT!?!?

I've been riding for a little over 30 years... You know what that has taught me? That I can make a decision about what I want to wear and how I want to ride. As long as I am not interfering with someone else doing their thing, it's on them. At they end of the day we are all responsible for our decisions. I'd like to see everyone as safe as possible but it's not my job or responsibility to beat them up about the decision they made.

I have to say about the only time I really cringe is when I see guys doing 60 mph stand up wheelies on the freeway in T-shirts(and maybe a back protector :laugh:).If and when they go down they know they'll probably shed a little skin but I guess they accept the risk so not up to me to offer any advice(and since I can't do 60 mph stand up wheelies[too old and slow to heal :laugh:]they more than likely ride better than I do anyway).Honestly,if I had to layer up from head to toe every time I wanted to go for a 20 mile ride down the freeway I wouldn't even own a motorcycle.I've been riding for 45 years and feel pretty comfortable with my style of riding attire and don't take many unacceptable risks,if I go down and get a little skinned up I'll be ok with it(I might not like it,but I'll be ok with it:laugh:).I rode home from the races in Fontana yesterday and though it was only 28 miles it was 91 degrees and I was pretty miserable in my leather jacket(the 4 hours walking around and spectating in said 91 degrees probably didn't help),I'm fine with it when it's cool out(maybe 70 degrees and under)but by the time I got home I regretted wearing it.:laugh:To each his own,live and let live.

At least once a week I take back some biker to the OR to get his arm/legs cut off, bones screwed back together, his pleura (lungs) scraped/drained/cut, or his insides scooped out for donation (it always such a weird feeling when after they harvest the heart/lungs, I turn off the anesthesia machine and walk out of the room while they continue to operate...).

It's made me think long and hard about gear choices and where I ride. Sad truth is about 80% of them weren't doing anything stupid when they got hit, and most had helmets on. The ones that didn't have gear/helmets are the ones getting scooped out, or they didn't make it far enough to the hospital to be donors. They simply weren't seen and were rear-ended or T-boned. Rarely see a female, and the one I had 2 weeks ago was a passenger (husband was killed). The damage a human body endures in a motorcycle collision is on par with what I saw in Iraq in 2006/2007. It's horrific.

Got my Motoport suit in Hi-Viz last week to go with my Hi-Viz Nolan helmet. Hopefully I'll be seen. Also bought a 2003 MR-2 Spyder last night for a commuter. Going to save the Busa for weekend rides 'till I'm out of the big city.

I've ridden with hundreds of folks from this site from all over the country on roads all over this country. Guys have worn full gear to no gear and the conversation about gear or helmets always comes up at some point because at some level we all see it or wear it. For me personally before July 21st 2007 gear was important but not critical, my attitude changed when gear saved my life! Even with a spine protector and shoei RF1000 helmet I came out with a broken T5, C5,C6 & C7... Now gear is paramount not only because I can't afford injuries on top of the ones I already have but I realize the risk and ability to save that wearing just a few small pieces of gear can make between being a paraplegic and walking on my own accord... I don't walk around and tell folks to gear up but I will absolutely share my story in hopes that it helps people make a more informed decision. Had I not been wearing gear there is no doubt I would have passed away right on the scene.

It's a personal choice for everyone that rides.

In my state they repealed the helmet law so you don't have to wear one.
Personally I don't want to be eating bugs or get hit in the face with them either.
I guess some people are so tough that they can handle the bugs at 60mph or more. That's their choice.

Riding shirtless or even with a tee-shirt is probably putting people more at risk for skin cancer. But that's their choice.

Wearing a good quality gear is one off the most important thing which shows biker's attitude towards there ride.
Most of the people think that wearing some shorts and Tshirt is something which gives them complete look on the ride i think they need to attend there motorcycle safety course again from start.
Anyhow wearing a helmet, gloves, Jacket and the boots are most important gear, No matter weather is cold or hot every rider must accompany there ride with these.

or eat your meals out of an i.v. for the rest of your life.

As long as they understand the risk, I think it should be their choice. If you want to get right down to it we are all nuts for getting on a motorcycle in traffic the way people drive nowdays, no matter how much gear you have on.

Don't get me wrong for the most part I wear all my gear but I don't want to be told I have to.

As long as they understand the risk, I think it should be their choice. If you want to get right down to it we are all nuts for getting on a motorcycle in traffic the way people drive nowdays, no matter how much gear you have on.

Don't get me wrong for the most part I wear all my gear but I don't want to be told I have to.

Then ALL states should repeal helmet laws, right?

Most (if not all states) require seatbelts, right? So you are told you have to wear a seatbelt.

Don't get me wrong either - I'm for most protective gear. But like many I believe it's a personal choice.

Then ALL states should repeal helmet laws, right?

Most (if not all states) require seatbelts, right? So you are told you have to wear a seatbelt.

Don't get me wrong either - I'm for most protective gear. But like many I believe it's a personal choice.

Yes ... I think they should.

Seatbelts help a driver maintain control after a collision has occurred, thus reducing the chance that driver causes a secondary accident because he is thrown out of driver seat and the car then swerves into oncoming traffic for example. Therefore seatbelts help keep OTHER people safe too, not just the wearer. Because seatbelts help keep OTHER people safe, they can be mandated for wear.

Not so with a helmet.

I've been in two nasty crashes in 45 years and all the gear in the world wouldn't have prevented the broken bones(right femur,pelvis,left hand,etc.).If you ride like a jackass by all means wrap yourself in a cocoon because you're going to need it,show some common sense and you may never go down regardless of what you're wearing.I dress to be comfortable and enjoy myself,not to worry about how much skin I'm going to lose in the anticipated and inevitable crash most people seem to be concerned about,if I was that worried I think I'd stick to driving a car.Wear whatever makes you feel protected and safe if that's what it takes for you to enjoy your ride,I don't have a my way or the highway opinion.

I guess maybe I'm just too old school,I also don't wear rubber gloves when I change my oil.:thumbsup:

:laugh: In my first 30 years of riding I never even knew of anyone's gear consisting of more than a leather jacket(no helmets),I thought all that fancy stuff was just for racetracks(until I moved to CA,where every curved road is evidently considered a racetrack).:laugh:
Its hard to find well swept twisties so...

I've been in two nasty crashes in 45 years and all the gear in the world wouldn't have prevented the broken bones(right femur,pelvis,left hand,etc.).If you ride like a jackass by all means wrap yourself in a cocoon because you're going to need it,show some common sense and you may never go down regardless of what you're wearing.I dress to be comfortable and enjoy myself,not to worry about how much skin I'm going to lose in the anticipated and inevitable crash most people seem to be concerned about,if I was that worried I think I'd stick to driving a car.Wear whatever makes you feel protected and safe if that's what it takes for you to enjoy your ride,I don't have a my way or the highway opinion.

I guess maybe I'm just too old school,I also don't wear rubber gloves when I change my oil.:thumbsup:

O.......M........G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No rubber gloves when you change your oil..... I'm speechless................. dunno what to say.

Wearing a good quality gear is one off the most important thing which shows biker's attitude towards there ride.
Most of the people think that wearing some shorts and Tshirt is something which gives them complete look on the ride i think they need to attend there motorcycle safety course again from start.
Anyhow wearing a helmet, gloves, Jacket and the boots are most important gear, No matter weather is cold or hot every rider must accompany there ride with these.

I wear full leathers...or a t-shirt and shorts(always a helmet).
I don't do either to "complete a look". I wear what's comfortable at the time.
Going out for a day's ride(knee draggin and stand up wheelies), then full leathers.
Cruising to town or to the store, t-shirt and shorts/jeans(again, always a helmet).
Could I crash or get run over on that short ride with no gear? Definitely.
I've been riding over 26 years and I am well aware of the risks. I don't need a motorcycle safety course to tell me.
I also don't care for Gear Nazis, and most of them have very little skill to start with.
Does skill level matter? Yep. Can it keep you from crashing? Yep. Does it mean you'll never be in an accident? Definitely not.
Myself or anyone could go down at anytime for any reason. I know the risk.
I don't need anyone to tell me.

Fellas and that means gals too. This debate on gear is as old as the debate about oil...Amsoil is the best by the way...lol... Im not suggesting that everyone should be leather-ed up like your entering a motogp race but im also not in support of the... dressing like a gay pirate group type riders with the Harley bandanna helmets. I think that a helmet should be required in every state just like seat belts. The arguments against it are just as asinine as the arguments were against seat-belts. That said I will leave you with this example. One of many I suspect but it is I think by far the simplest and most striking example of why wearing a helmet is so important.
This did happen here in Dayton Ohio back a few years ago..... A young man went to visit a friend about buying a motorcycle from him. I don't think he was an experienced rider but anyway. He met his friend in a parking lot and asked to ride the bike around just in the parking lot to try it out. So he rode it around for a few and all was fine. Now no helmet on. Why would he need it ? it is just in the parking lot for goodness sakes. Well he pulled up and stopped to get off the bike. When he did he lost his balance and fell off the bike backwards and in the process just so happened to hit his head on one of those parking block things you pull your car up too.. well if that wasn't bad enough there was some steel post sticking up out of it. That's where his head made contact. Killed him.
But he was just in the parking lot so no need for gear right? While this is an extreme example it is nevertheless a real life and in his case death example of WHY wearing a helmet is important.
The more gear the better obviously but i understand why people don't want to wear full leathers every time you get on the bike and i understand the whole its my choice thing. Hey people make dumb decisions all the time but I just refer you to the above example and ask you how that whole freedom of choice thing would look to you if it were you in that situation taking in those final breaths. I wonder if you would be thinking about how it was your choice and the freedom to not wear a helmet or would you be thinking of how much of a waste this was as you watch your life pass right before your eyes and you get to think of all the things you never did, will never do and the people that love you and the pain you will leave them with.

Just food for thought.

Back