What is your worst squidding moment

So......................back in 1988 I had my 1986 Blue/White 750 Slabside
Drove my 12 year old little brother a couple miles down the road, Stop the bike, he jumps off and 3-4 of his buddies come out and egg me on to :"pop a wheelie) so I am on a culdesack I try a couple time but the cold rear tire would not allow it, just then one of the neibors comes out and says to me "what the %F&^& are you trying to do, arrogant me busts out with why what are you a F^^78ing cop? he takes his badge out and says...why yes I am.. He asks for my ID.
"I don't have it on me" (under suspension for failure to pay uninspected ticket)
no motorcycle endorsment if it was valid
so when he asks my name I blurt out John's, guy smiles and says really, okay address? I draw a total blank....um....ah that street behind Bla Bla store.....Oh really he says.....cause I am his godfather....OH poop
only me
only a few hours in local lockup that night , just a fine and back tickets, right as rain again.... then I got my MC endorsment and the squidding REALLY started
running from the police on a YSR50

YSR50....
sorry...mental picture.
Rubb.

When I started riding in the early-90s, my gear consisted of regular blue jeans and a matching jean jacket... and usually steel-toed work boots since I used my beater bike at the time as a commuter. That was as squid as I ever got with one exception....

It was back in 2009 or so, well over 35*C out and I was heading over to my (now late-) father's house for a minute which was just two blocks from my place. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and Converse sneakers with no socks... and a full-face helmet, of course. Even while I was doing it, it felt all wrong so I never did it again.

In the summer I just wear jeans, regular shirt and a Levi vest. I do wear boots, full helmet, and gloves...sometimes fingerless.

In the summer I just wear jeans, regular shirt and a Levi vest. I do wear boots, full helmet, and gloves...sometimes fingerless.

Jeans w/o armor underneath shred like tissue paper on pavement. Fingerless gloves? WTH? Levi vest? Levis are made from denim COTTON which also shreds like tissue paper. Why not a ballistic mesh jacket in the heat?

Jeans w/o armor underneath shred like tissue paper on pavement. Fingerless gloves? WTH? Levi vest? Levis are made from denim COTTON which also shreds like tissue paper. Why not a ballistic mesh jacket in the heat?

I can testify from experience that this is true. Regular denim lasts barely a few feet abrading against asphalt and then it's your flesh vs. sandpaper for the rest of the slide.

My bare minimum now are kevlar reinforced jeans and an armoured riding jacket. Leather for cold weather, textile for warm. I swear by Alpinestars SMX boots for their comfort, support and protection and always wear a quality glove. I think my current ones are FIVE brand. Oh, and a full-face Bell helmet... Bell just fits me right.

If I am too hot it is not worth the ride. I have been riding like this since 1974 and will continue. I do have ballistic mesh jacket for cooler weather. When I had a Harley I just wore a novelty helmet in the host weather. I found out that does not work well on a busa.

I don't think that I can limit this down to just one time...... There are a LOT of learning opportunities in my riding career!

If I am too hot it is not worth the ride. I have been riding like this since 1974 and will continue. I do have ballistic mesh jacket for cooler weather. When I had a Harley I just wore a novelty helmet in the host weather. I found out that does not work well on a busa.

I figured you would continue.

Back