Should I be supportive of the wife riding

4HSMEN

Registered
I have mixed thoughts on this and thought I would toss it out there.
My wife is the adventurous one in the family. She was going to TT races in Europe when I was drinking beers in a Chevy.
I got into riding about 20 years ago and she joined me on her bike about ten. My concern is should I worry less about her safety and let her enjoy herself or slowly move away from riding. She would rather Salsa Dance if I was for it, lol.

My concern is South Florida is full of risk. So many bad drivers on every ride. She is better than me hands down but it does not take much. In her line of work her hands are everything. Even breaking a wrist etc would put an end to her surgical career.

When I ride alone I am fine but together I am always looking in the rear view to see if she is cool.

Our life right now is so damn good I would hate for a ride to screw it up.
just wondering. Guess I am showing my age lol

Last edited:
One thing is for sure...One day it will all be over. that is a given. will you look back and be satisfied with how you spent it? ??? Do what makes you both happy. weigh the risks and rewards. only you can answer that.:beerchug:

Have you brought this up with her? Your concerns regarding her hands seem reasonable, if I crash, they patch me up and back to the warehouse I go, no biggie. Id talk with her a bit about your concerns.

Well if she is that good and she enjoys it will be a lil hard to get her to slowed down, have a talk with her and express how you feel. Also, shes been riding for 10 years? When do you start feeling like this?

I think you going to need get those hips loosen and start shaking your butt to the dance floor if you dont want her to ride no more. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

a wise man once said...there is nothing to fear but fear itself...... live life...

i know the feeling, my wife works at a dentist office and with out her hands she would not bring home the bacon, but if she wants to ride it's her choice. i'm in the same boat too, get hurt and i'm down, but i think we all take that risk riding a motorcycle. it's the joy of riding even though there is that chance you could wreck every single ride.:thumbsup: i've been down before and its sucks, but everything happens for a reason, just can't live in fear my friend.:thumbsup:

My wife also skydives and rides, and on top of it, flies. Worries me to death when she's out doing aerobatics, but she wouldn't be who she was if she didn't. A lot of women's psyche is very fragile, but with the right amount of encouragement, they blossom. If she's happy, than I am.

Besides, give me leverage when I want to do track days :)

Celebrate eachother's passions fully! Hell yes be supportive!
You say by yourself you are fine... then in another sentence you say she is a better rider than yourself. You have no control of what is to be, you can however be prepared for the unexpected and be highly skilled in the art of defensive/passive aggressive driving. I feel riding here in S. Florida has made me an incredibly intuitive and more alert rider. I take nothing for granted and assume even less when it comes to "dancing" with the collection of idiots on the road in this day and age. You have to assume all responsibility for your personal safety, they don't.
Everyone has an agenda and driving a 3-4K # WMD is the least of their concerns.
Between shootin the BS on the cell or better yet Texting being the absolute focus it's no wonder there are so many really bad incidents.
I take my personal safety very serious and will be damned to hell if I let some idiot in a car/truck/suv grease me and take me away from my family unit.
I'm not about to give up something that fuels a passion as a result of others neglect and lack of caring, aka GAS attutide.

Love each other, support each other, ride on happily and learn to dance Salsa my brother!!!
Cutting a rug well with your better half is like having sex standing up in public!!! :laugh:

Thanks all, being she is a real type A personality, I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could tame her lol. I think I'll just do my best to pick and choose when we ride. Keep out of the rain and heavy traffic etc. when I can.
Heck i have friends who don't ride because their wives are dead set against them having bikes. So, I should be glad.

Ride the wave brah...and let your wife catch her own. Pretty cool, you can have this in common.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very well put!
I fear Salsa dancing more lol.

Celebrate eachother's passions fully! Hell yes be supportive!
You say by yourself you are fine... then in another sentence you say she is a better rider than yourself. You have no control of what is to be, you can however be prepared for the unexpected and be highly skilled in the art of defensive/passive aggressive driving. I feel riding here in S. Florida has made me an incredibly intuitive and more alert rider. I take nothing for granted and assume even less when it comes to "dancing" with the collection of idiots on the road in this day and age. You have to assume all responsibility for your personal safety, they don't.
Everyone has an agenda and driving a 3-4K # WMD is the least of their concerns.
Between shootin the BS on the cell or better yet Texting being the absolute focus it's no wonder there are so many really bad incidents.
I take my personal safety very serious and will be damned to hell if I let some idiot in a car/truck/suv grease me and take me away from my family unit.
I'm not about to give up something that fuels a passion as a result of others neglect and lack of caring, aka GAS attutide.

Love each other, support each other, ride on happily and learn to dance Salsa my brother!!!
Cutting a rug well with your better half is like having sex standing up in public!!! :laugh:

Back