I should have figured, now the wife wants to drive.

Chris79761TX

Registered
Ok my wife is Korean and she had never been on a bike before. She kept saying to dangerous. Well I got her a helmet 2 jackets and some gloves and Bohn Adventure pants. She is my wife and the last thing I need is for her to get hurt and scared of the bike. Well after taking her for multiple rides she loves riding. And now she wants to learn how to drive a bike. I have thought of getting her a small dirt bike so she can learn the concept and practice. Or a medium size scooter for her to practice with but then there are no gears on the scooter so she wouldn't get to learn how to shift. And it came to me maybe get her a Can Am Spyder semi auto trans and she won't really have to worry about balance she is only 5,2 1/2" tall. so seat height is an issue on any bike. Does anyone else have any ideas on getting her to be able to drive her own bike? She calls my Busa my girlfriend:whistle: and now she wants her bike to be her boyfriend ???

I'd sign her up for an MSF class, one where they have the bikes for you to operate. They're usually small Nighthawks, so I would think she could flat foot on 'em. A class like that gives anyone a really good idea if they truly want to learn to ride and if they have the skills required to do it. I took the class and was hooked; I know others take it and realize it's just not for them...

Doing this first only costs the price of the class and not you having to buy a bike. If she loves it, then you've got some work to do :thumbsup:

Send her through the MSF course. Cheap, easy and safe way for her to not only learn to ride but figure out if she's really into the front seat. Then not only will she have her license (IN Ga anyway, your state may vary.) but she'll have a great start. And Michelle is right, they use bikes with really low seats so most anyone can ride them.

My wife got hooked on one particular ride. She loved being a passenger but decided to learn to ride when I slid way over to the right, knee hooked on the seat one hand on the bars over and she got to see what it's like up front. She signed up for the MSF course the very next day.

Now she's got a Ninja 250 we snagged for $800 that she just loves. Lots of women love the CamAms it's the price of admission that stopped us from getting one for my wife.

Biggest mistake you can make is teaching her yourself. It doesn't matter what the hobby is divorces have started over teaching the spouse. Work with her afterwards, I work with mine all the time doing circles in parking lots and braking practice but until she learns the basics she's better off learning from a pro. And cool as it sounds don't take the course with her, it adds stress to everyone.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Biggest mistake you can make is teaching her yourself. It doesn't matter what the hobby is divorces have started over teaching the spouse. Work with her afterwards, I work with mine all the time doing circles in parking lots and braking practice but until she learns the basics she's better off learning from a pro. And cool as it sounds don't take the course with her, it adds stress to everyone.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I'll second the "don't let the husband teach you" route...my ex did the same and it was frustrating for both of us. It wasn't until I took the MSF class that I truly felt like I could learn on my own, and of course tons of seat time after that... :thumbsup:

Chris where are you in TX? Just bought the better half a can-am spyder, for the same reasons, vertically challenged. Very fun to ride and very comfortable.

I use to ride one of the Can AM and loved it. Like others I do suggest the class but for her being a new rider I feel sure you will feel she is safer on the CA then the two wheels. A place here will let you test ride one if you have your license. Here you can also use the CA to get your license Maybe she should try one out and see how she likes it.

Aren’t Korean women notoriously bad at driving???? And you want her to have a bike! Just kidding dude, couldn’t help myself there :rofl:. The MSF beginner’s course is a great way to get her started. I put my wife through it and then got her a Ninja 500EX. We found out 6 weeks later that she was pregnant so we sold the bike. Now that Noah is 18 months she wants another bike. Good luck and I hope she enjoys it and you get a new riding partner.

I would suggest the Spider too. I plan to get the wife one if she keeps bothering me about driving too.

My wife has the same itch- I put her in the driver seat for the first time just two nights ago- I picked up a gz250 suzuki ($400) its what most of the MSF courses use here in Texas- it is very low profile and easy to manuever- my wife is Filipino although she is a bit taller than your wife this was a great first session- I have to say she was truly a natural- all I did was put her on it and show her brake-clutch-throttle control-next thing I know she is doing laps around the block while I was chatting with neighbor- she never got out if first- but she is definitely hooked- I also picked up a 2005 ninja 250 with blown motor $500 and got motor off ebay $450 so there is affordable starter bikes out there that will fit her height- Good luck on your adventure- keep us updated

MSF course, you have to take one here to get a license, not sure about where you are at. Cruiser class m motorcycle usually has the lowest seat height. Seen them at about 26-28 inches but are usually heavier bikes. Once she gets her license you can usually test ride or rent a bike to see which one she likes or fits her best.

Aren’t Korean women notoriously bad at driving???? And you want her to have a bike! Just kidding dude, couldn’t help myself there :rofl:. The MSF beginner’s course is a great way to get her started. I put my wife through it and then got her a Ninja 500EX. We found out 6 weeks later that she was pregnant so we sold the bike. Now that Noah is 18 months she wants another bike. Good luck and I hope she enjoys it and you get a new riding partner.

korean PEOPLE are bad at driving. that's only really true if they're from korea, but the thing is, that's just how their laws are. you learn to expect the craziness when you're on the road in korea

I am all for the MSF class as well.My daughter will be taking it next year since they start out at 6 for the classes and I figure I would have an instructor teach her instead of me getting frustrated.

I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn to ride:

1) don't have your best friend or spouse teach you, get some official education
2) don't buy something to learn on only to find out you really dont like it
3) don't learn on your own bike :whistle:

I have had a few friends take this course and I actually took it with one of them years ago. They put you on a decent sized bike (has been a buell blast 500cc) that allows the rider to experience what a little power and weight they will likely be working with once they buy something. It also steps through some real world stuff and is also essentially the standard MSF course just with some extra stuff. Cost is relative I guess but everyone I met that's done this that has never riden, especially smaller framed women thought it was well worth it. One lady in a class I was in decided she just didnt like riding after all, one lady decided she was unsafe (all on her own) after not being able to control the bike while pushing it or stopped. My point is, they use more real world setups and bikes than what I saw from the MSF course. Sure you can go to the local MSF course where they might have 125s, 250s, maybe something bigger but I guess I just found this one better. YMMV

New Rider Course | Harley-Davidson USA

Certainly worth a look if you had not seen it. I'd also call and verify what bikes they are using....if you were really looking to get her something better than a 250ninja (and those are great beginners bikes :thumbsup:) this might be a good place to start. :beerchug:

Oh yeah, look on here for some posts from NCBusa, his wife is your wife's height or shorter as I recall and they modified a katana 600 so she could easily ride it :thumbsup:

They put you on a decent sized bike (has been a buell blast 500cc) that allows the rider to experience what a little power and weight they will likely be working with once they buy something.

I can't even start to flat foot on any Buells that I've sat on (I'm 5'6"), so I don't know if she would benefit from a class like this. Buells are really tall. Might want to have her sit on one at the dealership first before signing up for this...

My wife is 5'2" and little. Her first bike was a 1991 Bandit 400. Perfect size. Then she upgraded to a 2002 SV650S we shaved the seat, and got lowering links and lowered the forks in the tubes a little. She loved it.

That bike got totaled (not by her, not the place for that story) but she wound up getting another one. This time a 2003 SV650S (new style, fuel injected, etc) and was WAY happier with it. Easier to control the throttle, etc...

Wound up not riding it enough, and sold it. I still wish she rode. Oh well..

Good luck, and like mentioned, have her take the course.. :beerchug:

I can't even start to flat foot on any Buells that I've sat on (I'm 5'6"), so I don't know if she would benefit from a class like this. Buells are really tall. Might want to have her sit on one at the dealership first before signing up for this...

The Buell Blast is tiny Vabs. I mean TINY! Buying a Buell Blast would be worse than buying a Ninja 250 as far as her being happy with it for very long. EXTREMELY underpowered.. Harley single cylinder 500cc.. :puke:

Back