Should guns be banned?

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Cap wanted a new thread, so I'm not skeered, lets hear it.

Most know my stance on this, gun control is not the solution...

Let the debate commence...

Honestly - I have a large debate internally on this issue. On days like today, it's a no brainer, and the answer is YES.

Sure, gun "enthusiasts" will be coming up with things to make the fact that 20 kids were killed by guns today, not the fault of guns. But bottom line is, if the shooter did not have guns today, these kids would not have been shot. Yeah yeah, I know, if he didn't have guns, he would have used knives, sticks and stones, or a wooden spoon.

If I remember correctly a firearm was not even used in the largest US school massacre.

Honestly - I have a large debate internally on this issue. On days like today, it's a no brainer, and the answer is YES.

Sure, gun "enthusiasts" will be coming up with things to make the fact that 20 kids were killed by guns today, not the fault of guns. But bottom line is, if the shooter did not have guns today, these kids would not have been shot. Yeah yeah, I know, if he didn't have guns, he would have used knives, sticks and stones, or a wooden spoon.

its an interesting argument but we absolutely cannot simply discuss gun control in response to tragic events. I do believe that the guy today would have used other methods to kill his target(s) had he not had access to guns. There is almost no possible way that you are going to remove guns completely. It will be very interesting to see what they find about the guns used today but if like other events they were legally obtained, then what? Is your argument to take away everyone's weapons? This happened in one of the toughest gun control areas in the country so what would your argument or suggestions be for changes? I still suggest that this is an issue with society and individuals rather than the instruments used.

Here's my stance and this is coming from a guy that has more guns then carter has pills.

You can say what you want about gun control until it was your kid that was killed today by a person with a gun. Even if they get banned the bad guys will still have them, laws only keep the honest people honest.

Just a sad horrible day, those poor kids...

Here's my stance and this is coming from a guy that has more guns then carter has pills.

You can say what you want about gun control until it was your kid that was killed today by a person with a gun. Even if they get banned the bad guys will still have them, laws only keep the honest people honest.

Just a sad horrible day, those poor kids...

Bottom line, well said close the thread.....:popcorn:

You can't just go take guns away from the people and say well no one will ever be shot again. There will always be guns out there. Maybe if all the adults in that school had guns, not as many kids would have died. This really is a perfect example of controlling guns. He knows no one is allowed to have a gun at the school "no one can stop him"

Gun control will NEVER solve this problem. The fact is some people are sick (crazy, psychotic, evil, or whatever). If guns are banned criminals will thrive even more knowing that people sleeping in their homes can't defend themselves, it will always be SO EASY to get a gun ... illegal or not. Every American does and should always have the right to own a gun, remember the world is very crazy, not just one American. The fact is we need a healthier culture.

Laws are for law abiding citizens. I agree with zukracer in that society has a big problem. I know there are a lot of people who want instant gratification by passing tighter gun restrictions, but there is not an easy answer to this.

Its all been said before... Ban guns and only the criminals will be armed. Its too late to ban guns there are too many out there. There is no easy answer each side of the issue has very good points. I spent 17 min. once looking into the barrel of a rifle with a guy telling me he was going to kill me about 18 years ago. I got lucky and was able to in the end grab the barrel and pull it past me and fight the gun away from the guy. I do own guns and have a permit to carry anywhere in the country under fed law HR218.
Sorry to say this will happen again even if they ban guns and take away our rights.

As angry as I am getting that either side is pressing for an opinion about guns, how about we look at the comment that laws only keep law abiding citizens within them. Is there any state, providence, territory or protectorate of the United States where it is legal to take a weapon within some distance of a public educational institution that is not part of an educational program? Someone tell all of those parents how safe the gun laws kept thier children... do we really need to have this discussion today?

We can't enforce the gun laws we have now. Look at Badger Guns here in Milwaukee. They never sold a gone illegaly yet most of the guns used in crimes here in Milwaukee came from there. Straw buyers, but if the shop denied a sale based on feelings they were threatened with a law suit for discrimination. No win situation.

more laws will not help if they can't be enforced.

We need to ban airplanes. They kill more people in one shot than any shooter has killed.

A legally armed population is safer than one that is unable to protect themselves from the criminals. Police can't be everywhere all the time.

As angry as I am getting that either side is pressing for an opinion about guns........ ... do we really need to have this discussion today?

Unfortunately Shawn, I believe we DO need to have these discussions today. This is when the reactions will be the most heart-felt...
Is 9/11 any easier to talk about today than it was all those years ago? Should we not have spoken about it then?

We are adults here, and most if not all of us have children. I understand why we shouldn't be talking about it, but more importantly for the future of my son, I understand why we SHOULD be talking about it.

I mean no disrespect by starting this thread..

This is so sad prayers for all effected. :please:

I would have to ask if people that have permits to carry were allowed to carry everywhere would more people be alive? Do these nuts say " where are a bunch of people with guns that I could go and shoot, or do they look for a place where they know no guns are allowed, so no one can appose the. Some countries have tried to ban all guns and yet the criminals still get them, so a total ban will not work. Maybe faster and stiffer prison sentences would be a good place to start. How long has the Ft. Hood shooter been waiting to go to trial, way too long and there is no doubt that he did it, shot in the act.

As angry as I am getting that either side is pressing for an opinion about guns, how about we look at the comment that laws only keep law abiding citizens within them. Is there any state, providence, territory or protectorate of the United States where it is legal to take a weapon within some distance of a public educational institution that is not part of an educational program? Someone tell all of those parents how safe the gun laws kept thier children... do we really need to have this discussion today?

Shawn, to directly answer your question no this discussion does not need to happen today. It is however the unfortunate side of the way the political structure of this country has turned. Even in his call/statement to the CT Gov, Obama set the tone for gun control. As I said on FB, I wish that folks could focus on the issue rather than politicizing everything. I have been through the emotional gambit today and stopped working so I could play with my daughter when she got home today, I have hugged her so much that she says "daddy stop it". I wish the events that happened today could have been prevented or never happened. I also wish that the news media, politicians and others with a public voice could at least focus on the events and stop pushing agendas. The fact is that these conversations are happening on the news media, they are happening on social media and certainly here on the Org. On this topic or religion or anything else, when people have such strong views they will discuss it. I think its healthy, even if a day or two early.

22 children were stabbed and wounded in China today.
20 children were shot and killed in the USA today.

Some tools are just better at killing than others.

On a child? This could've very easily went the other way.. Again, not the weapons fault, but the accuracy of its user.

Back