Securing The Load

138753d1240383108-securing-load-dscn0786resize.jpg

Don't forget to secure your Glock before driving away! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Never seen a dozer tied to a flat bed with the chains all pulling the same way...

When there are only straps, they must oppose each other. When you are using a chock, the straps are mainly just keeping the bike in it and the rear end in place.
Your right. Never seen a dozer in a chock either I bet.:whistle:

disagree all you want..per DOT...only proper way to strap any load is down. Straps must not be used in opposing directions.

I have over a million safe driving miles with strapped or secured loads..and I had the joys of teaching this stuff for many years.

Don't know what section of the DOT (or state/Fed) but you need to re-read it.

FMSCA (Federal Motor Safety Carrier Administation) Drivers Handbook, Chapter 9 Section 3.7.2 and Section 393.128 of the FMSCA Cargo Securement Rules seems to disagree.

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Table of Contents - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Securing Your Bike For Transport - TraileringTips - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

The straps should form a 45 degree angle with the load and the floor of the truck. 4x45 rule this method assures the complete securement of your vehicle. Four securement points are the minimum required by law. A 45-degree angle from the bike to the floor at each point creates optimum balance and tension.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and they are ususally worth what you pay for them. Even as I offered mine there were things I forgot, i.e., watch the front fender against the front of the bed, tie downs to the fork tubes and not the handle bars, etc. These are points that you learn from experience, like securing your load so it won't shift forward, backward, side to side or worse yet vertically. That is why I crank my bikes to the bed of the truck, they don't wiggle and they won't rise if I hit a bump or a dip. Sometimes I think it just might be better to let people learn from experience but I hate to see folks make some of the same costly mistakes I have made. Responses like yours are probably why I generally just let people learn the hard way. It is not worth the creating hard feelings. Do I defer to your superior experience and knowledge...I think not. Not anymore then you will defer to mine. But be careful the advice you offer as a 'professional' with over a million miles and the joys of teaching for many years. I alas am only a mere layman who knows only what works best for him! :thumbsup:

so right now DO3 is outside scratching his head wondering witch way do i tie it down,.....just kidding all good points fellas:thumbsup:

I always tie down with 4 straps running forward. The chock is going to keep the bike from moving forwards, And why would you want to use 2 straps to pull it back out of the chock?? I just feel its the best way to pull the bike into a solid point, (chock). All down and forward for me.

I always tie down with 4 straps running forward. The chock is going to keep the bike from moving forwards, And why would you want to use 2 straps to pull it back out of the chock?? I just feel its the best way to pull the bike into a solid point, (chock). All down and forward for me.

Chock will certainly keep the bike locked forward but it you hit a hard bump, major braking or have a minor accident what's to keep the bike of the bike from pitiching up? Seems the momentum would lift the rear of the bike up toward the cab of your truck. The anchor points in my truck are in the 4 corners (just like everyone elses?) and that is what I secure the bike to, 2 forward/down and 2 back/down anchors the bike so there is no movement forward, backward, sideways or verticle. In case of anything happening I don't want the bike flying out of the back of the truck. I can only tell you what works for me.

I guess it would depend on the type of chock. With the baxley, when the bike moves forward, the mount clamps on to the tire. That is why I spent $225 for a baxley. The directions for the Baxley say you can put it in the back of a pickup without bolting the chock down. Run two straps from the rear of the bike, pulling forward, out and down. I figure the manufacturer of the chock should know best.

Well you made it, so must a done it right.:laugh:

Back