Securing The Load

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Got the Busa in the back of the Ranger. It's locked in a front wheel chock. I have a canyon dancer on the bars with straps going slightly forward. Two additional straps coming off passenger pegs to same forward position. The kick stand is down and resting on some wood.

The bike still wobbles slightly. Is that normal ? or do I need to tighten things up. Did not want to damage the handle bars.

I need help guys, got a long trip tomorrow and don't want the bike tipping enroute. :poke:

If you shake it hard enough it is going to move. But it should be okay. Just keep an eye on it and check straps at every stop. They do stretch. Be safe.

What do you consider "wobbles slightly"? When I haul mine, she won't move more then an inch either way. But I don't have a wheel chock or canyon dancers...I just use 4 straps. One to each corner of the truck or trailer. If you try to rock it back and forth, does it seem like it will move enough to tip?

I regularly truck one of my bikes and you need to make sure that you secure the front and rear straps in opposite directions. Front straps to tie downs at the front of the truck and rear straps from foot peg bracket to tie downs in the rear of the truck bed. I secure the rear straps first and then use my ratchet type tie downs on the front to 'ratchet' the bike down creating more tension on the rear straps. You can jump up and down on my bike once it is secured, it won't move and it won't wobble it is becomes part of the truck! It it's wiggling it isn't right.

Last edited:
I regularly truck one of my bikes and you need to make sure that you secure the front and rear straps in opposite directions. Front straps to tie downs at the front of the truck and rear straps from foot peg bracket to tie downs in the rear of the truck bed. I secure the rear straps first and then use my ratchet type tie downs on the front to 'ratchet' the bike down creating more tension on the rear straps. You can jump up and down on my bike once it is secured, it won't move and it won't wobble it is becomes part of the truck! It it's wiggling it isn't right.

Absolutely agree all points. Robert...here's your advice.

Webshots.com Links Do Not Work
Canyon dancer, wheel chock, ratchet straps, straight up and down compress suspension slightly.

rear straps mounted high pulling down and FORWARD YOU DON'T WANT THE STRAPS FIGHTING EACH OTHER, WHY WOULD YOU WANT THE REAR STRAPS PULLING THE BIKE OUT OF THE BED. JUST MY TWO CENTS

2091561290102950911S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
big wide loading ramp bike straight up and down, no side stand no centerstand.

cheers
ken

Last edited:

+1

When I load my Busa in the Truck that is exactly how I do it.
2009SuzkiH02.jpg

I have a better picture that I will post tonight of this but the handle bar straps are going forward toward the cab of the truck and the straps around the pessanger pegs are going toward the tail gate. This keeps the bike perfectly still and allows you to keep the front wheel off the front of the bed. If your busa is like mine the front fender hits the front of the bed before the tire does if you're not careful.

can you put her on rear stands? if i ever transport her that's what i would do. like a bar through the axle so the rear tire is only a couple inches off the ground...

What kind of chock do you have . Baxley recommends only two straps pulling forward, out and down. That is how I secure the busas in the trailer.

post-6-50302-CIMG2992__Small_.jpg

Absolutely agree all points. Robert...here's your advice.

Scar, how do you know, I thought you just rode that Busa everywhere you go? Scar don't need no stinkin truck.:thumbsup:

All in fun, If Scar agrees with the tie down advise, you are good to go!

+1

When I load my Busa in the Truck that is exactly how I do it.
2009SuzkiH02.jpg

I have a better picture that I will post tonight of this but the handle bar straps are going forward toward the cab of the truck and the straps around the pessanger pegs are going toward the tail gate. This keeps the bike perfectly still and allows you to keep the front wheel off the front of the bed. If your busa is like mine the front fender hits the front of the bed before the tire does if you're not careful.

+1 I always leave space so that when the bike is loaded and racheted down the front fender is clear of the front of the bed! Good point I failed to mention. :bowdown:

You NEVER secure in opposite directions. Causes the straps to work aganist each other and loosen or break.

Use a wheel chock and secure off the lower triple clamp. That is the fool proof way.

do3: sounds like you have everything done properly.

Canyon dancer, wheel chock, ratchet straps, straight up and down compress suspension slightly.

rear straps mounted high pulling down and FORWARD YOU DON'T WANT THE STRAPS FIGHTING EACH OTHER, WHY WOULD YOU WANT THE REAR STRAPS PULLING THE BIKE OUT OF THE BED. JUST MY TWO CENTS

2091561290102950911S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
big wide loading ramp bike straight up and down, no side stand no centerstand.

cheers
ken

Love the ramps I have a set just like them, I can load and unload by myself without having to look for help. The reason you want tension in opposite directions is to stablize the load, you don't want it shifting forward or backward. You don't have to tie it so high as long as you have adequate tension at angles and I would probably wrap something around your grab bar so it won't rub through the paint. I have a full size truck with a long bed so I have a little more room then you do with the Ranger.

straps go opposite ways to the corners better stability ive hauled bikes all over the country without chocks and so far no problems

You NEVER secure in opposite directions. Causes the straps to work aganist each other and loosen or break.

Use a wheel chock and secure off the lower triple clamp. That is the fool proof way.

do3: sounds like you have everything done properly.

Have to disagree, if the load is secured properly the straps don't 'work', they are taunt and the bike is secured on all four corners. I have trucked either my HD or the Busa for hundreds of miles and it is just as tight as when I started....and the hog is heavy. Just my two cents worth, anytime someone wants a demonstration I willing to compare methods.

i have a wheel choke and canyon dancer with 2 straps going down two front of bed, 2straps coming from rear pegs to front of truck, and 2 straps from rear pegs to the back truck tie down spots and you can move mine a little but not much, and i do not have much presser on the canyon dancer, just enough to keep it snug, and we are about 100 miles from nashville on our way to the bash :cheerleader:, so we will see ya there. :thumbsup: Hard to type going down the rode.

i strap the the fork clamp above the front fender and pull down and forward. i don't feel comfortable pulling on the throttle grip with straps and I don't wear the paint off the fairings. anyone else do this ?

Back