Securing The Load

I'm with Hal...
138719d1240355045-securing-load-p1040583.jpg
Ok I'll bite, what's with the toaster...

You NEVER secure in opposite directions.Causes the straps to work aganist each other and loosen or break.

Use a wheel chock and secure off the lower triple clamp. That is the fool proof way.

do3: sounds like you have everything done properly.

I'm with you.

cheers
ken

i have a wheel choke and canyon dancer with 2 straps going down two front of bed, 2straps coming from rear pegs to front of truck, and 2 straps from rear pegs to the back truck tie down spots and you can move mine a little but not much, and i do not have much presser on the canyon dancer, just enough to keep it snug, and we are about 100 miles from nashville on our way to the bash :cheerleader:, so we will see ya there. :thumbsup: Hard to type going down the rode.

See ya tomorrow after lunch, depending on how well the Ranger pulls in the mountains with the Busa in the back. :whistle:

Will tighten the straps a little in the morning before leaving and check them at every stop. Everything is new so I expected a little stretch in the straps.

I don't like putting a lot of tension on the handle bars either, and that's my biggest concern.

Canyon dancer with the ends rolled around the bars so the straps don't touch the bodywork, (under and around) bike in gear, wheel in a chock. Two straps tight enough that if you shake the bike the truck moves. I personally use ratchet straps, I don't trust the slip-thru style. Kickstand up, if you lose the bike the kickstand ain't gonna help and it will scratch the bed or punch a hole in the bedliner. No need to strap the rear, it's not going anywhere if the front is secured correctly.ALWAYS SECURE YOUR STRAP ENDS!!!!!!!!! Buddy was hauling his 12 in the bed and a loose strap end fell between the bed and cab, wound itself around the driveshaft and snapped. True story. Keep an eye on your mirrors, make a mental reference of what part of the fairing is visible in what spot of the mirror, if it starts slipping you will notice quicker. Brake earlier, don't swerve unless you have to, and avoid off camber sharp turns, (ditches, driveways etc) that will cause the truck bed to flex. This can cause one strap to get loose and fall off.

ALWAYS have ALL straps pulling in the same direction. Using four points to strap from is great, but have ALL four pulling forward.

Never seen a dozer tied to a flat bed with the chains all pulling the same way...

When there are only straps, they must oppose each other. When you are using a chock, the straps are mainly just keeping the bike in it and the rear end in place.

All strap ends will be secured and connections duct taped. Mainly concerned with the handle bar tension. Thanks to all those that responded. :bowdown:

Have to disagree, if the load is secured properly the straps don't 'work', they are taunt and the bike is secured on all four corners. I have trucked either my HD or the Busa for hundreds of miles and it is just as tight as when I started....and the hog is heavy. Just my two cents worth, anytime someone wants a demonstration I willing to compare methods.

disagree all you want..per DOT...only proper way to strap any load is down. Straps must not be used in opposing directions.

I have over a million safe driving miles with strapped or secured loads..and I had the joys of teaching this stuff for many years.

Never seen a dozer tied to a flat bed with the chains all pulling the same way...

When there are only straps, they must oppose each other. When you are using a chock, the straps are mainly just keeping the bike in it and the rear end in place.

cars are strapped at opposing ends also...that's because those are the places where the strongest tie down points are located.

Well ill throw in my .02.

Many miles in the bed of the truck on super long hauls. 2 forward from a canyon dancer and 2 backwards from the swingarm(pull throughs for the back). Bike moves truck moves. no wiggle from the bike at all without the bed of the truck wigglin with it.

Bringin down 2 bikes in the bed and bikes in a trailer... hitting the road in 5 hours.

Okay, so I have a problem. I just broke a tie-down anchor in the trailer. Uhaul will say the strap was too tight, but their anchors just aren't strong enough. Anyway, I reworked a couple of things and need opinions or suggestions on the new arrangement. You can't really see it, but the front left corner anchor broke and the yellow strap has minimal tension on it. It was holding the chock against the boards and the front of the trailer. I still have straps on the passenger pegs, but because of the anchor location, they are only pulling straight down from the bike, not forward or backward. I made sure the bike was in gear and ran the red/black strap from the rear wheel to anchors on the legs of the chock, so that should keep the bike from coming out of the chock. The chock is on a sticky rubber mat, and the bike is in gear, so I don't think it's going to move forward or backward, but if it does the bike is strapped directly to the chock so they'll move together. Also, the black straps on the sides should keep it in place side to side and within a couple of inches front to back. Anyway, do you guys think she'll make it to the Bash in one piece like this? I can't wait to get my own trailer so I won't have to rig up a bunch of crap for this sort of thing. :banghead:

DSCN0786resize.jpg

DSCN0783resize.jpg

DSCN0782resize.jpg

Back