rifle suggestions

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 30-30 for deer. As long as your son knows his rifle and how to place the shot properly, it should do just fine at 100yds. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it's easier to find ammo for it these days, either.

I'd be more concerned about the length of the stock than anything. Just make sure it's not so long that it prevents him from being able to properly set the rifle into his shoulder and cheek. If it's fitted right, he can probably shoot a pretty large caliber rifle for at least a few boxes of ammo which should be good enough to get him acclimated to the rifle before he goes out hunting with the boys!

Have fun and post pics of his first deer!

--Wag--

you can get it with a roof or atv mount no recoil problems :laugh:

guaranteed to kill it, cut it, & cook it, all in the same shot :rofl:

Jk

Attachments

• RedNeck.bmp
    632.9 KB · Views: 129
Any Savage 243 win is an excellent choice... And is great long range target round as well... And you can find it on the shelf anywhere if the world ammo is sold.

i had a Remington 742 in 30-06 when i was 13 but had grown up hunting in MS, i would think it is a little much for most to handle at that age...the Winchester Ranger in 30-30 is a great in the woods gun and i know the one in my bedroom will take a deer down at 100 yards :beerchug:

Lots of lever action guns out nowadays in .357 and .44 magnum. More than enough for deer in the 100+ yard range
Posted via Mobile Device

Id like to say everyone here has had some pretty good points, but one thing EVERYONE is forgetting is the shortage of ammo inside the U.S. A major point you want to consider in purchasing a firearm for the baby brother is how easy and available the Ammunition is to get. You are on the safe side if you go with a 30-30, 30 06 or even a 243... 223 ammunition is readily available but its really not the best for deer hunting, its also getting very high in price thanks to the tactical weapon industry. Im an avid shooter/ sharp shooter and I wouldn't waste my time using a .223 for anything other then varmint hunting. For under 400.00 go pick your brother up a nice marlin 30-30, big enough to take most of the game in north america, doesn't kick like a mule and its been around forever without any failure.

Trust me, ammo isn't forgotten, and it's out there, you're just going to have to pay for it.

Now reloading supplies, that's a different story. That's really hard to find, I'll bet I have 3-4K .223 brass cleaned and ready once I finally have supplies.

I could use about 250 to 500 of that .223 brass if you're willing to part with it.....

I might even have some primers to trade you for it but I'd have to check.

--Wag--

Id like to say everyone here has had some pretty good points, but one thing EVERYONE is forgetting is the shortage of ammo inside the U.S. A major point you want to consider in purchasing a firearm for the baby brother is how easy and available the Ammunition is to get. You are on the safe side if you go with a 30-30, 30 06 or even a 243... 223 ammunition is readily available but its really not the best for deer hunting, its also getting very high in price thanks to the tactical weapon industry. Im an avid shooter/ sharp shooter and I wouldn't waste my time using a .223 for anything other then varmint hunting. For under 400.00 go pick your brother up a nice marlin 30-30, big enough to take most of the game in north america, doesn't kick like a mule and its been around forever without any failure.

.223/5.56 is still a hell of a lot cheaper than ANY of the other caliber mentioned above... "Tactical" weapon industry? :whistle:

BUT I still think a Marlin 30-30 lever action would be the Bomb...

Marlin or Winchester 30/30 Lever Action.:thumbsup:

If it was my son I would go with the worlds most deer killingest round. the 30/30. I got one as a teenager from my grandfather and he said he had killed the most deer with it and I have too. If not that a 234 will put down anything at 100 yards too.

I just might take you up on that. Let me do an actual rough count and get back to you.

Send me a PM if you wanna get a trade on! I just checked and I don't have a limitless supply of primers, but enough of some various types to prolly work something out witcha! :thumbsup:

--Wag--

I'd like to get a deal going here so tell me what you think of this idea: If you send 500 brass to me, I'll load up 250 and send it back to you and keep 250.

I do full-length trimming and resizing and I full crimp the bullets into a channel. Off the top of my head, I think they are 55 gr jacketed bullets but I'll have to check. Let me know if you want other specs on it.

Whattaya think? :D

--Wag--

Back